Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

headlight switch "nut"

Of all the irritating things to break, the other day, the plastic "nut" that holds my headlight switch in broke. Headlight switch still works, but it is difficult to turn the lights off because there's nothing holding the switch in place. It should be easy enough to replace, assuming I can...
  2. M

bead corrosion

Maybe someone here can give me some insight into this problem. The rims are on my Suburban, which is part of the question, because I haven't had this problem on my Ford rims. Basically, they leak air (from 40 psi to 30 psi in about a week) from around the bead. The last tire shop I had try...
  3. M

A4LD starts out in 2nd

Don't remember seeing this problem mentioned, and couldn't find anything with the search engine. Last week or so, My '92 has felt a little "weak" on take-off. Today, when accelerating across a main road, it finally occurred to me what it felt like: like it was starting out in 2nd. A few quick...
  4. M

How much leak is acceptable?

I've dropped one of my tires off to have a pinhole leak fixed twice now. It's a tiny leak that just barely foams with soap water. My expectation has been that it should completely stop leaking if/when they patch it (in theory they are taking the tire off and patching it from the inside...
  5. M

What are AC pressures supposed to be

A few years ago, I bought simple 134A AC pressure gauge (my '92's system was converted to 134A). The package had a little chart on it that showed what high and low side pressures should be based on underhood ambient temperature. Of course, the package hasn't survived a couple of years...
  6. M

new problem with belt tensioner

My '92 has seems to have developed an irritating feature -- I can't release the tension on the serpentine belt. Standard procedure is to grab the tensioner pulley by the bolt, then rotate the pulley CCW to release tension. And that used to work just fine, but what else can happen if you rotate...
  7. M

Cruise "resume" button fell off

The other morning, I got in my Explorer to go to work and noticed that the "resume" button was missing from the steering wheel. I couldn't see the button anywhere in or near the truck, so I don't know what happened to it (the shoemaker hasn't paid his elves in a while????). Anybody know if...
  8. M

directional vs nondirectional tread

I'm looking to get new tires (for my Suburban actually, but I value your opinion in such matters). I would like to get something agressive. I've seen directional tires like the Pro Comp Xterrains or the new style Kumho Venture MT's, and I like the look. I've seen good reviews for these tires...
  9. M

Need help finding coolant leak

My '92 Explorer has been using coolant for some time now. I've tried on various occasions to figure out where the coolant is going, and I've reached the end of my abilities. Here's what I have done. I borrowed a cooling system pressure tester from Autozone and put that on the radiator cold...
  10. M

anatomy of a radiator

The radiator in my Explorer ('92) has developed a leak. It is leaking coolant from the top fitting for the transmission cooler. It only leaks when the radiator is hot. How does that fitting "fit" into the radiator and how is it supposed to seal? Let me emphasize that it's leaking coolant...
  11. M

Suburban vs Expedition

With 4 kids, my wife and I would like a second vehicle capable of carrying us all around (BII just isn't big enough). Looking to spend less than $10K (so Excursions seem to be out, as I can't find any that list for less than even $12K). Also, at this point, not really considering...
  12. M

Notes on pulling EEC-IV codes

This is from a post I wrote in October. Intended as a supplement to other sources. There are several others on the net (put "Ford EEC-IV self-test" into your favorite search engine), and any good repair manual should have instructions. FWIW, the first time I did it, I was working from my...
  13. M

Decoding the DOT code

I'm sure most of you are aware that off brand tires are really made by the big boys -- they just put a different name on them. Ever wondered how to tell who makes a given off-brand tire? Ever wondered how to tell where your name brand tires were made? Ever wondered how to tell when your tires...
  14. M

environmentalist or anti-recreationist

Came across this article while browsing the internet. http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/environment.htm Thought it was an interesting read, and thought I'd share with you (since I didn't see any other link to this article posted). I thought he had some good ideas about being a responsible...
  15. M

Question about low fuel pump current -- Opera House or anyone else

Opera House has mentioned on several occasions that a fuel pump current below ~5 amps is indicative of a fault in the fuel delivery system. For fun, I hooked up an ammeter to mine and checked. Got a steady 2.8 to 3.2 amps. Current varied as expected (2.8-2.9 A at high vacuum conditions...
  16. M

Transgo A4LD shift kit clarification

Considering getting a Transgo A4LD jr. shift kit; read some decent reviews on it. bulkpart.com recommends that the kit only be installed as part of an overall rebuild and not as part of a between rebuild update (they even go so far as to say it can't be installed "in car"). I've seen others...
  17. M

installing 3rd seat in 1st gen.

Background: "92 Explorer 4 door 4WD XLT. Found out this week I'm going to need more seating. Currently have two children. Known we were pregnant for a little over a month. Dr. takes ultrasound this week and says we're getting two for the price of one. As exciting as that may be, that means...
  18. M

Thermactor on '92 4.0?

I saw a few references to a Thermactor secondary air injection system as it relates to the 5.0. Does anyone know if there is a secondary air injection system on the 4.0 L OHV ('92 specifically)? Haynes (up to '92 Ranger) claims that all '92 engines for the Ranger had a Thermactor system, but...
  19. M

"mighty" spark plugs

Went to inspect my spark plugs (look for fouling, check gap, etc) and, instead of finding the Autolite plugs I put in in the spring, I find a set of "Mighty Power Core" spark plugs that must have been put in by the shop who installed my engine this summer (even though I told them the spark plugs...
  20. M

How precisely should the alignment be able to set toe?

Took my Explorer into the shop on Saturday to get the alignment done (replaced bad ball joints a few weeks ago). The caster and camber were off a little, so I had him tinker with the shims until he got those right, then he did the toe (presumably). When he got done, I asked if he had printed...
  21. M

canister purge valve revisited

Been having the occasional gas smell from my Explorer. Dropped the tank this morning to make sure that there were no gas leaks on top of the tank. That's when I found the vapor line that runs to the charcoal canister. I remembered that this system can sometimes create gas smells. Verified...
  22. M

ID steering wheel part

My steering wheel developed a clunk when turning. The cause is a piece of metal inside the steering wheel that came loose. (The image is from my scanner. Don't have a camera) The piece is just inside the steering wheel underneath the horn pad. The "U" slot at the top goes around the...
  23. M

ignition timing is 180 degrees off

Decided I wanted to check my engine timing for fun. Disconnected the SPOUT connector (little connector with pink wires next between the a/c evaporator housing and the ignition coil). Hooked up the timing light to #1 (passenger front cylinder), pointed it at the timing mark, and couldn't see...
  24. M

Ford and UAW contract

Just found this article at USA today. I guess this is the year when Ford, GM, and Chryslyer sit down with the United Auto Workers union and renew, revise, etc. their contracts. It will be interesting to see how this develops. A few interesting things I found in this article: 1) The...
  25. M

Pinpoint test article

I've seen this before, but could never find it again. Now I've found it and wanted to pass it on. This (http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/gtest.pdf ) is an EEC-IV diagnostic article that includes code checking procedures and the circuit tests. It's taken from Mitchell and is specific to the...
Back