Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 1

Rear Main Seal advice-should I replace it?

depends on who you ask. i can tell you i have always done this, however, mercedes benz shop manuals tell you to have absolutely no grease or oil on the sealing surface and to install it dry. really depends on who you believe. the rear main seal and the front crank seal instructions both say...
  2. 1

how to:fix that power window

nice write up. funny, i had the same thing happen with my explorer sport to both windows. i went even more ghetto though and instead of washers i used a bottle cap and put the bolt though the cap. the idea was that the plastic bottle cap would dampen the joint and stop the door from cracking...
  3. 1

how the hell does this happen...

i had a cracked head on my explorer cylinder 4. replaced both heads and everything was fine. the car ran for 2 day apprx with no problems. then i gave it WOT to merge onto the freeway. i heard a noise and then instant crap performance. SERIOUS misfire. i thought, great, here comes more work. i...
  4. 1

is this the right cylinder head?

im not sure who made the heads. i got them from odessa cylinder heads, so whereever they get them from. as for the bolts, you know, the box does say arp (or aarp? id have to look at the box, its in the explorer right now) but there is an engine quest sticker on the box. ive heard the name...
  5. 1

got the job done. didnt do a compression test or anything but just shot gunned it and hoped for the best. sure enough, i had a VERY noticeable crack in number 4 dead center between the valves and a clean piston top. took the advice and got 2 heads from odessa cylinder head off ebay. there are a...
  6. 1

evap large leak

the codes will set only when you meet the criteria for an evap test. usually the criteria are something like fuel level between 1/4-3/4 tank, at idle, in gear, with a certain ambient temp etc. the code isnt being thrown when you "drive easy" it just so happens that that is the only time its...
  7. 1

one quick question, are the cylinder heads interchangable from left to right? i see most places only offer 1 head for the ohv and it doesnt specifiy left or right. anyone know?
  8. 1

Coolant smell and stumbling engine!???

i fixed a coolant leak from my lower intake manifold gasket.put everything back together. still leaking coolant but only internally. ****ty idle, almost indrivable (used to be a slight stumble). i checked my over flow bottle ad found air bubbles and pressure hissed when i opened the cap on the...
  9. 1

definitely a good idea to replace both heads, however i have replaced the vehicle with a newer car for myself. i was going to sell the exploder until a friend of mine totaled their car, their insurance skyrocketed and they were barley scraping by before and now cannot afford another car payment...
  10. 1

1998 explorer 237k miles cylinder 4 misfire, fuel smell in expansion tank plus bubbling present i replaced upper and lower intake manifold gaskets due to lean condtion as well as a fat coolant leak from the lower manifold. leak is gone now, but misfire shows up and coolant is disappearing. most...
  11. 1

terrible jerking going on 1998 explorer sport

i appreciate it. i can stop chasing the ghost! hah
  12. 1

really? btw, yes its the 5spd m5od trans. ive had the car since 82k miles, and i just passed 198k today. i dont remember it ever being that bad when the car was newer. however...you are the second person to tell me that it is normal, the other being a guy whose been a tech for 26+ years...
  13. 1

had the car up on the lift today. couldn't find anything wrong. u joints looked ok both front and rear, there is no excess play in the diff or anything. im really at a loss here. any other ideas?
  14. 1

is this MAF interchangable?

yea, when i pop my sensor out, it seems to look the same. unfortunately it doesnt show the connector side or how many pins it has. mine is a 4 pin like you said, and the air temp sensor sits inside the intake and not in the maf (again, like you said lol). im waiting on a response to see if he...
  15. 1

Replace IAC or MAF??

if you had an EGR problem youd be running extremely rough at idle, if not stalling.
  16. 1

is this MAF interchangable?

i have a 98 sport with the ohv 4.0l engine. it needs a maf. i cant get a quote from my work on a MAF until monday (i hope my parts lady gets the hook up with that, but i doubt it) so i looked on ebay and found this...
  17. 1

no ideas? ill take anything here guys.
  18. 1

How long can i last?

my noise started at about 95k miles (or so), im at 193k now with the same noise. take it for what its worth.
  19. 1

car: 1998 explorer sport, 5spd transmission, 193k miles symptom: when driving in a straight line in 1st gear going to roughly 15 mph or so, i let off the gas and the car jerks forward (due to engine braking of course) and clunks loudly, calms itself and then coasts down to a slower speed. when...
  20. 1

Lower Ball Joint Replacement How To (lots of Pictures)

boating dobbins: usually the left side control arm is a one piece design. the right side is usually the two piece design. if in doubt, look behind your tire on the right side and see if its the two piece...you'll know it when you see it. secondly, i can verify that you CAN use the ball joint...
  21. 1

ive done some research but not really finding anything...

i bought some upper left and right control arms (ball joints are shot), and now am picking up some lower ball joints, sway bar link kit, and some sway bar bushings. problem is...i see a lot of different sizes listed for the diameter of the bushings for the sway bar. is there any way to tell...
Back