Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 4pointslow

Steering wheel upgrade for second gen Explorers?

A couple years ago at Atco Dragway I came across a guy with a Kia stinger. I believe it was running around 11.5 in the 1/4 mile if I remember correctly, it was a cool looking car and unexpectedly fast. While checking out the vehicle I saw this awesome steering wheel he had, it was custom made...
  2. 4pointslow

If you had a second gen Explorer, what engine would you put in it?

I decided to start this thread to hear all about what engines people would like to have in a second gen Explorer. Personally, I have loved the 4.0 SOHC for all the abuse it has held up to, but I am pretty sure I got all I could out of mine and am planning a drivetrain swap. The 5.0 Pushrod...
  3. 4pointslow

LS Swap in a second gen Explorer

My next project is doing an LS swap to a second gen Explorer. (This has been done by someone else already on here) If I get to finish this project, it will be topped off with a GT500 supercharger. Going to something like LS fest with an Explorer and running some respectable time in the 1/4 mile...
  4. 4pointslow

My 2000 XLT Explorer 4 Door

You can never have enough Ford Explorers! LOL. I am starting this thread to keep track of this 2000 XLT Explorer 4 Door. This one doesn't have wheel flares or 16 inch wheels like my other one. Here is the first picture: And the current mileage is:
  5. 4pointslow

Water Leaks

My 2000 4 door Explorer has water leaks. Of course it has a sunroof/moonroof. I would like input from people who have fixed water leaks on their Explorers if anyone wants to chime in. There was a piece of broken plastic in the front area of the sunroof channel which I found after opening the...
  6. 4pointslow

My 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT

I have been looking for a replacement for my stock 1998 4 door explorer that has rusted away pretty badly, and then had the timing jump out of time at 316,000 miles. Last Sunday 8-16-2020 I found it's replacement. My new to me 2000 Explorer 4 door XLT. I paid 1,400.00 for it and found it on...
  7. 4pointslow

Old Explorer vs New, we got a race this year!

My Drag Racing Supercharged Explorer vs one BadAss Ecoboost Explorer! Who will get the win? Will they both make it down the track? This is going to be an awesome year! Subscribe to both channels to keep updated!
  8. 4pointslow

Drag Racing Supercharged Explorer 2

Just finished making another video
  9. 4pointslow

Supercharged Explorer

Happy thanksgiving! Just posting this here for anyone who hasn't seen it already.
  10. 4pointslow

Aftermarket parts that are better than OEM

I would like to start off this area with two names of aftermarket companies that I think make parts better than OEM. For suspension = MOOG Amazing stuff, lasts longer than OEM And Felpro Their gaskets are even better than OEM These are two companies I have never gotten anything bad or defective...
  11. 4pointslow

4.0 SOHC Metal Thermostat Housing Comparison

I obtained 2 thermostat housings for my 2001 Ranger. The original is plastic and not leaking yet but you know how that goes on the 4.0 SOHC. The first one is from Simmons Autosports. I have used theirs before and its a great part, way better than the original plastic one from Ford. Here are...
  12. 4pointslow

My 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 Supercab

Just picked up a 2001 Ranger today and figured I would start a thread and post the first picture of it. Got new tires and used wheels so here is an updated picture.
  13. 4pointslow

Escape for next vehicle?

I am looking for another vehicle to replace my 1998 4 door explorer with over 290,000 miles and I can not find another 1998-2001 4 door without rocker panel or wheel well rust. I am thinking maybe I will try an escape from 2001 to 2008. If anyone has any insight on what to look out for that...
  14. 4pointslow

Transmission Shift Flare/Slipping on 2-3 shift 5R55S 2004 Explorer

My 2004 has started slipping when going from 2-3. The transmission was rebuilt by me a year ago, not sure about the miles but probably under 10,000. Remanufactured pump, valve body, torque converter, New OEM Ford solenoid pack (off eBay), complete clutches and seal kit etc, All parts with bonded...
  15. 4pointslow

Filling the 5R55S

I have been filling my 5R55S with a suction pump and the little adaptor. What a pain in the a$$. I am looking into a pressurized filler to make things easier, and cleaner. Damn driveway has all kinds of fluid stains on it now. Has anyone used one of the pressurized transmission filler tools...
  16. 4pointslow

5R55S pump replacement

Just wondering if the 5R55S pump can replaced without removing the pan. The ford workshop manual says you have to loosen the O/D band adjustment screw or damage to the pump and O/D band may occur. My thoughts are that the O/D anchor strut pieces may fall out if loosened too much.
  17. 4pointslow

My 2004 Explorer

I got a new to me 2004 Explorer today. It has the 4.0 SOHC and automatic 4WD that I have come to appreciate. It has transmission problems and transmission leaks. There are other things that need attention as well. I don't plan on leaving this stock. My first modification is going to be an...
  18. 4pointslow

Explorer rear wing/spoiler remake

There may be a chance at getting a rear wing or spoiler. See post. https://www.facebook.com/groups/43274374114/permalink/10154612533259115/
  19. 4pointslow

Has anyone broken a driveshaft?

I am looking into where the week point might be on second Gen explorer driveshafts. If anyone has heard of a broken driveshaft or joint please let me know. Pictures would be awesome too. I am planning a driveshaft loop installation and want to install it at the most useful location.
  20. 4pointslow

Fuel Injector Sizing

Fuel Injector Sizing x is multiplication symbol / is division symbol For naturally aspirated engines there is a fuel injector sizing equation all over the internet and also found in books written by respected experts in the field. The equation is this: horsepower x brake specific fuel...
  21. 4pointslow

F150,Expedition,Navigator upper control arm with BAD ball joint

I need an upper control arm with a BAD balljoint for teaching purposes. Supposedly these models will do Expedition 2007-2015 F150 2004-2014 Navigator 2007-2015 If anyone comes across one please let me know, Thanks
  22. 4pointslow

1998 4 door Explorer

I started this thread to organize things done to my 1998 4 door Explorer. It has 248,170 miles and still runs strong. I have had it for about 7 years and bought it with about 132,000. My other rides are a 2004 Explorer and a 1998 supercharged Explorer Sport, and a 2001 Ranger Edge. My...
  23. 4pointslow

2001 Explorer Sport

A friend of mine left an Explorer with me for a while to get some work done. It was a 2001 Explorer sport. Started out with a shifter problem that would not go into park, the lever was sloppy, and hard to shift the lever into the different positions like PRND21. The emergency brake did not...
  24. 4pointslow

Wheels and tires

I'm gonna need different wheels and tires. 1. Need wider tires for more traction, wider wheels for wider tires. 2. I don't want center caps that I have to remove when I go racing like the factory ones I have now. 3. Don't want to go much heavier if possible. 4. Can not go much smaller in...
  25. 4pointslow

5R55E fluid flow diagrams

Does anyone have a part number for the manual with the fluid flow diagrams in it for the 5R55E. I have an ATSG (PDF) manual but no fluid flow diagrams.
Back