Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

oil in my radiator

You've not only got a leak between oil and water, you've got an external leak of both as well. It gets on the hot exhaust and creates smoke. What drips down the block gets on the ground. Clean everything using engine degreaser. Fill everything and have your wife start it. She should be...
  2. A

oil in my radiator

The oil pressure is much higher than the water pressure, especially when the engine is cold. Because of the greater pressure, if you have a leak between oil and water passages, the higher pressure oil wins out. Could be head, could be head gasket.
  3. A

Anyone smell gas sometimes?

Even though the cannister is in the engine compartment, you still shouldn't smell vapors, unless one of 2 things happen. First is a leak, second is a saturated cannister. To eliminate possible leak areas, check or replace the connections between hard lines and components. Those are usually...
  4. A

Every car built with a non-vented gas cap has a charcoal cannister. Started in the mid-late 70's IIRC.
  5. A

If it were stuck closed, and you had no other leaks, the car would be slow at full throttle and you'd eventually "suck in" (collapse) the tank. Purge solenoid is nothing more than a controlled vent for fuel vapors. Without venting, it's like sucking on a straw with your finger over the other end.
  6. A

A little mor info would help. Is it random or can you associate the smell to some set of circumstances, like shortly after filling? Do you smell it inside the vehicle or only when you're outside? All that sadi, this first thing I would do is get a fuel pressure gauge on it. If system...
  7. A

Tail light and brake light don't work. ** FIXED **

Do the front marker lamps light? If so, I beleive that the ground for the brake and rear lights is common to both circuits (going by memory here). Check for voltage by pulling the bulb out and probing with a test light. If there's voltage there, reinstall the bulb try back pinning the black...
  8. A

Electrical Surges???

I'm not sure exactly, but my first thought is a voltage regulation issue. In many vehicles, when the alternator overcharges because it can't be regulated properly, the circuit seeks ground to unload all of that voltage, and it results in the dash warning lights coming on. Not sure about GM...
  9. A

Inside lights FUSE keeps blowing. HELP!

Find out what else is on the circuit. You mentioned lighter, is there anything else? Get a service manual and see where it runs back to, in all directions. Head "upstream" to the next connection and break it there. See if the fuse still blows.
  10. A

Inside lights FUSE keeps blowing. HELP!

the best thing to do is to separate the circuit into segments. You will need a service manual and some determination. I 'd start by disconnecting the the door pin switches (all of them) and see if the 15 still blows. How long has this been going on? Can you relate the onset of the problem to...
  11. A

ABS Light

Yup. I had been having success resolving a number of issues by replacing relays, and it worked for me this time too. There're about 8 relays under there that are all the same. There's a map on the underside of the cover. Pick one and swap it for the ABS relay, then drive it. If the light...
  12. A

air conditioning help

What you need to do is stop thinking about how to get it done on the cheap, and think about doing it right. First, get off your wallet and BUY A GOOD MANUAL, all of the specs and capacities are in there. Some actually include the conversion figures. Remember this though, the DIY kits are...
  13. A

ABS Light

I had an ABS light that would come on and stay on after the vehicle got hot. Had no way to check it, but based on the hot condition, I changed the relay. Problem resolved.
  14. A

FIXED: Pulled MAF codes today from ECM... Code 157 158

I replaced mine a bit over a year ago. Got it from Pep Boys currently $90 online. I compared the stampings on the part and I believe it was an OE part. Just checked and Auto Zone is the same price, but you have to pay $60 refundable core charge.
  15. A

oil in my radiator

I can't speak for the Explorer because I've never been to a class on it, but the cooler is usually considered "unpressurized" as it dumps straight into the pan. There's no element or metered orafice to create pressure in that circuit. The main reason is that if the fluid is under pressure, you...
  16. A

oil in my radiator

If your trans fluid is pink, not red, and foamy, you may have a leak in the radiator that's mixing trans fluid and coolant. Radiator's a simple fix. The bad news is that most mfgs use a water soluable adhesive to adhere the clutch material to the discs in the trans clutches. The sooner you...
  17. A

91 Navajo vibration during acceleration

well, I for one am glad you've solved it, seeing that my advancing age has turned my memory to mush. As for the clips not seating. did you get into the groove and clean them really good? The particles from the disintegrated rollers may have bonded themselves to the metal in the groove.
  18. A

Front Disc height

According to AutoZone, the part numbers are different between 2WD and 4WD, but there's no spec for rotor thickness. My educated guess is that 4WD would be thicker.
  19. A

91-94 Stock MAF Gasket Options???

To be honest, I wouldn't worry about it if you're taliking about the inlet side of the maf. When I replaced my maf, the gasket fell apart. As it is upstream of the measuring area of the maf, it won't have an effect on the mixture. I made sure it fit okay and didn't reinstall it. Runs fine.
  20. A

1993 Ford Explorer help needed. My speedometer is not working.

Her's a quicky suggestion to determine if the cable is okay. Disconnect the cable at the trans or transfer. Hook up a cordless drill to the end and drive the speedo. Have someone watch the gauge for movement. If it doesn't move, reverse the drill and try again. If it still doesn't wok...
  21. A

A/C compressor wont run at all. Any ideas?

Most compressor clutches ground throught their body. Find the connector for the compressor clutch and run B+ to it. Listen for the clutch to click loudly. Simpler? Try swaping the relay.
  22. A

OOPSS!!!! WRONG TRUCK!!! I sat there thinking about what I was talking about, and it dawned on me, it wasn't my truck I was thinking about. A buddy has a Montero Sport and the RF wheel is alwasy engaged to the diff. When he shifts manually, the transfer shifts like a trans and the LF axle...
  23. A

Yup! Surprised me at first too.
  24. A

It's not driven, but it's still rotating. You have a standard OPEN diff in the front. The axles are always rotating.
  25. A

327 Code KOEO...

Do you hear an exhaust leak? A cracked manifold would be noisy. Check your KOEO voltage to the module. How many wires are there? I'm at work and the car isn't here. The voltage too low statement indicates the voltage signal is below expected values. From a wiring standpoint, that would...
Back