Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. A

Tranny issues?...

Can you identify where the noise is coming from? Touching a long metal rod to various components and then the other end to your ear can let you hear vibrations and noise at the source. If you can identify where in the transmission the noise is coming from, that could help narrow down the issue...
  2. A

Two odd problems

1. From some quick research it looks like that MAF is correct (my 94 uses the same one but with a A2B revision code). 2. The PCM does not seem correct; I can't find that catch code anywhere, and the part number comes back to a 93-94 Aerostar equipped with a 3.0 liter V6. The Aerostar was...
  3. A

Two odd problems

I'm not familiar with "isumo" but it sounds Chinese. Sumo is a common word used in many Chinese "brand" names. A quick trademark search shows they are owned by Swift Auto Parts. I personally trust Motorcraft parts, and have had good luck with Denso parts (Japanese company). Delphi makes a...
  4. A

Two odd problems

Check catch code (4 digit, like UMP1 for example) labeled on the PCM near the connector. I can research whether that is correct for your model. I'll look up your MAF number once I get home.
  5. A

Two odd problems

What is the part number visible on your MAF? As for mileage, I haven't yet had a first gen Explorer that got over 17mpg.
  6. A

Two odd problems

MAF sensors can work partially. When they fail they rarely fail altogether, usually exhibiting odd symptoms instead. Try a known good MAF or a new one. Keep in mind that MAFs from other Fords may look the same but are calibrated differently and won't run right. Also check the heated element...
  7. A

1992 Ford Explorer Sport 4.0L v6 2nd engine noise

Shaking usually indicates a misfire. Some things to check are condition of spark plugs and wires, and that the plug wires are connected to the right spot on the coil. After that, you can isolate the misfiring cylinder by pulling plug wires and seeing which ones don't make a difference. Ticking...
  8. A

For Sale Parting Out 94 Explorer 2 Door Sport

What condition are the door panels and associated grab handles in?
  9. A

93 liftgate handle

Might be an issue with your linkage binding? I am still on my factory handle and use it often. Is yours the type that has some sparkles to the plastic? Are you using an OEM replacement or aftermarket?
  10. A

1st Gear Transmission Slip after Fluid Change and Leaking around Gasket

You dont need to use sealant but you can if you like to help hold it in place. As long as the cork isn't damaged you should not need to flatten it either.
  11. A

The modulator line runs from the vac tree on your intake through a 90 degree elbow to a hard (steel) vac line which runs down the firewall to the trans tunnel, which goes to the vac modulator on the passenger side of the trans. Look near the catalytic converter. I have more luck accessing the...
  12. A

I'm sure that would cause serious issues if you don't replace those o-rings soon. I used Valvoline Dex/Merc (blue bottle) for a long time (~$21/gallon here) and it worked fine. The transmission supply place near me had a deal on their house branded Dex/Merc fluid that I couldn't pass up...
  13. A

I'm sorry, I was thinking of a different type of transmission entirely (likely E4OD) which uses a different style setup. I just changed my trans fluid/filter today to install a PML deep pan. I think you would have noticed if you forgot to install o-rings on the filter, as without them the only...
  14. A

Blower?

If you decide to sell it, let me know.
  15. A

Best ignition parts 94 4.0

The stock ignition system is actually pretty stout. Fresh double platinum plugs and good quality (Motorcraft) wires, and you won't have to worry about it.
  16. A

Check the old filter if it's still in the trash - if the filter's o-ring style gasket isn't on it, then it may still be in the transmission pickup bore. It usually takes a little effort to get the old seal out of the trans pickup bore. Worth opening up again though, sounds like whatever is going...
  17. A

WTB: Lund rear spoiler/air deflector/Windjammer

Thanks for looking out for one! I think I will hold out for a nice one or just protect mine.
  18. A

fuel pumps

I bought an Airtex and it was fine for the year that I had the vehicle. I bought a Bosch for an Explorer and it failed after a few months. Bought several Denso pumps and they have been awesome. For me it is either Denso or Motorcraft. Or Walbro, seeing as how they make pumps for Ford often.
  19. A

For Sale 4.0 OHV Paxton Supercharger Kit - IN

Give me a couple days to get it out of the attic.
  20. A

For Sale 4.0 OHV Paxton Supercharger Kit - IN

I still have the kit. Never used it. Willing to sell. Sold the blow off valve but it needs a bypass valve instead anyways.
  21. A

Radius Arm Bushing Damage

I used JB Stik. It is like JB weld but comes in a stick of putty you mush together to make it cure. Super useful stuff.
  22. A

Radius Arm Bushing Damage

I had one like that and built it up with metal filler, then sanded it round. Worked fine.
  23. A

KNocking without the metal shavings

Try to isolate where the noise is coming from. If you don't have a "mechanics stethoscope" you can improvise with a long screwdriver or long straight piece of steel. Press one end into your ear and touch the other end to various areas. You can hear the noises of individual parts that way. For...
  24. A

1993 Explorer XLT - Junk or?

I'd put it on Craigslist. Be open and honest with buyers. If it wasn't parked due to mechanical problems, someone will be interested.
  25. A

94 vaccum modulator repalced now not shifting

If the cruise does not work, a common failure point is the speed control amplifier module, located behind the glove box. It is easy to replace if you can find a good used one.
Back