Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

driver's door wont unlock!

I know this is an old post but I just had this happen to me. In Jerzey's pics that rod with the yellow clip has a spring attached to it, but in my case the spring is gone but can find pieces of it. How I fixed was I zip tied it up. Just enough pressure to hold it up a bit. Has been working...
  2. M

Transmission Temp

Installed like most people did inline. But the temp is not showing much more than 100 degrees, so I may have to move it.
  3. M

Transmission Temp

Crawled under the ex today. Next to the gear shifter on the transmission, just above the transmission oil pan is a square bolt. Looks like a drain plug, does anyone know what this is and could it be used for the sensor? Thanks
  4. M

Transmission Temp

Hello, Very long time since I have posted. Has anyone on tried installed a Temp Probe little this article? http://broncoii.org/forum/index.php?topic=2790.0 Will this work on 1998, 4l . Thanks
  5. M

99 Explorer Trailer Wiring Harness Question

All boat trailers are suppose to be 4 pin. Because the trailer goes into the water when launching the boat it does not have electric brakes. Instead of electric brakes it should have surge brakes. Hope this helps.
  6. M

Rotten egg smell

Problem with waiting is the fuel mileage has dropped. I am getting very very bad mileage. Would rather spend the money fixing the problem, before I spend more money in gas than the actual price to fix it. Just need to know if I should trust the PO422 code and change the "Main Catalyst" or...
  7. M

Rotten egg smell

Did a search and this is the closest posting to my problem. I have replaced my O2 sensors (last summer). Yesterday when I start the ex up it runs very rough and white exhaust, but once warms up it runs perfect and no white exhaust. Check codes PO422. Main Catalyst. Should I just assume the...
  8. M

trailer light problem

What do you mean by converter? Is your 4 pin hooked up to a 7 pin connector? The easiest way to check your 4 pin is by the cheap 4 pin tester for about $4.00 or less. But the volt meter is okay. The tester is just easier, plug it in, press your brakes, then turn signals and then running...
  9. M

trailer light problem

Take two pieces of very long wire. Attach them to the bolts holding you lights on to the trailer (one on each side). Run the wires to the front of your trailer and attach them to the white wire that would be grounded to you trailer frame. If this works it is just your ground is back. Most...
  10. M

$725 to replace fuel pump?

If you have to replace the pump you may want to add a door to access the tank from the top. I believe someone has done a write on it already.
  11. M

Front Differential Fluid change

I find it easy just to pump it out. Then stink in a long hose right out the top of the engine compartment. Hookup a bottle and have someone squeeze in the fluid while I watch under the vehicle for it to be full. (looks like an IV drip)
  12. M

Is it worth it?

Bought my 98 over a year ago for 2000.00 CAN. 210,000km, 4.0l. Put in another 1000.00. So 3000.00 all together. Love the Ex. Great for pulling the boat, and never worry about getting stuck camping any more. Looking around the ads here I have seen several 98 for under 2000.00.
  13. M

Can't find trailer wiring

Do not know if it is the same, but mine was right behind the driverside rear light.
  14. M

Head Lights Go On When Vehicle Shut Off

Budwich is correct if you unplug it the lights will turn off. Remember in Canada you are suppose to have day time running lights. So until you replace it remember to turn your lights on manually.
  15. M

Hitch Recommendations please

I have a reese class 3 also. Spare fits great. Scrap yard find for $25.00. Tow a boat also with no problems.
  16. M

Stock ride height

Here are measurements I took after adding a leaf. Also nice write up by Gavin on how to measure the front. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229405
  17. M

Help! Headlights won't shut off, 97 XL

For me it was the DRL module (Daytime running lights). Located driver side near the bumper. Just unplug it and if the lights turn off then that is your problem. Search DRL lots of info will come up.
  18. M

Engine misfire

Have same problem. My question is to Chuy Almaraz or anyone that can answer. You mention get the correct wires. When I buy my parts I just tell them make, model and engine. Then I assume they have handed me the correct ones. Could I have the wrong ones? I ask because the new ones were not...
  19. M

Plastic welding kits?

Welded plastic in the Prosthetic shop. Just used an industrial heat gun with a special tip add. The tip allowed the plastic rod to feed right in front of the gun, while the gun had a very narrow tip. Would not recommend it. Would rather replace the whole piece or remold it. Was never as...
  20. M

1998 Washer fluid problem

Directly hooking the pump up to 12v. Just take two pieces of wire attach to one end to the battery the other end to the pump leads. If you are having troubles attaching to the pump just go to the scrap yard, remove the plug from the same pump and cut it off. Remember to cut the wire as far...
  21. M

1998 Washer fluid problem

Check the relay box right next to the air filter. Can not remember the number of the relay but all I did was grab a couple of relays from the scrap yard and replaced one at a time until it worked. It is a little hard to find the relay box, also not on any diagrams.
  22. M

Rear ABS sensor problem

Hey bluestream1, I am in Markham if you are in the area you can use my reader. I got one this week to help me with my issues. Still trying to track down why my ABS light is on. Changed the rear sensor but still getting the same codes. Must be a wire some where. PM me if your going to be in...
  23. M

ABS Code 1230 Part

Did anyone find the answer to dssgod problem? Same thing here changed the rear sensor. Still getting the same codes? Check wires can not find anything wrong. Any suggestions would be great. Did search and most of the ABS problems only tell you to change the rear sensor, and if that doesn't...
  24. M

1998 Ford Explorer Sport Trailer Hitch?

Scrap yard, reese hitch class 3, very nice shape $25.00. When towing the boat it sits level. If I used the ball on the bumper is doesn't sit level. More options if you have the hitch. Just my opinion.
  25. M

shocking?

Mythbusters did an exposed on gas stations catching on firer. They found that some material in woman's clothing did cause more static electricity.
Back