Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

Have master keypad code, can't set personal code

Hey all- I have a 2008xlt explorer. I cannot get it to accept a personal code. I put the master code in and the door unlocks, I press 1-2 within 5 sec and then enter personal code, personal code has a 5 in it and while entering the hatch pops open in the rear, I ignore then press the 1-2...
  2. H

03 Limited 4.6V8 Hesitates/Misses

Turned out being a bad IAC motor. We had previously tried cleaning it out with brake cleaner and ultimately bought an OEM replacement. as we were told the aftermarket ones are not as reliable. This fixed the majority of the issues- we also found #2 cylinder was randomly dropping out as a...
  3. H

I didn't notice all of the followup replies to this and had even forgot I posted it until I was searching for my current thread on a similar problem - I apologize... last time it finally set an EGR code and we found it to be the DPFE sensor which we replaced and had no problems again until this...
  4. H

2003 4.6L Stalling/Missing

IAC had no effect
  5. H

Thanks! To clarify however is 5.5 ohms good or bad? By coil springs do you mean inside of the boots?
  6. H

Is there an easy way to diagnose the coil packs? I checked ignition switch for jarring, going to clean IAC and look for vacuum leaks today even though it is missing under load. Will keep posted.
  7. H

Hey all- My dad has a 2003 4.6L Explorer Limited. It has about 65K miles on it and recently has started stalling and missing. It does not have any codes via code reader or lights on the dash. Fuel pressure does not change when it misses while driving. Sometimes it will stall when idling...
  8. H

We will change the filter- I am thinking the fuel pump may be on the way out as it is an intermittent problem. I will check that elbow thanks!
  9. H

verified last night- no codes per an actron obdii code reader
  10. H

Thanks Rick! He has cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner as we originally suspected that... he has no light but I will hook up the code reader to be sure... I would think a dirty fuel filter would cause problems under load as well and be consistent? We will definitely check the coils/COP boots...
  11. H

forgot to mention gas mileage is down about 2 mpg as well...
  12. H

Hey all, My dad's 03 Explorer Limited V8 has been missing/hesitating lately. There is no Check Engine Light. The only code we have had at all was a coolant temp too low and that was a while ago and we changed the thermostat and never had it show up again and it was not missing then. He has...
  13. H

Which explorers had 4 prong flat connector built into bumper

Hey all- I have a 99' XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4. I used to have a wiring harness hanging off the bumper with a 4 prong flat connector on it with a rubber cover. The dog has since decided it is a toy and ripped it apart. My brother-in-law has a 2008 XLT 4x4 v6 with a ford hitch on it and he has a...
  14. H

electrical questions - dome light and accessory outlets

Please let me know as well- my brother just got an 08 explorer and his dome light comes on randomly also- he has about 9K miles on factory warranty left. Thanks! Andrew
  15. H

Drivetrain for big power (500-700rwhp)...

Hey all- Looking to swap a carburetted 351w into my explorer which is currently a 99 4.0 SOHC 4WD with 135K miles and coolant smell. I am thinking about converting from 4WD to 2WD by ditching the front transfer case and cutting weight in the process and then swapping in a built c4 or c6...
  16. H

Ford Version of GMC Typhoon?

Hey all- I have a 99 4.0 V6 XLT 4WD- thinking about converting it to AWD and putting twin air cooled turbos on it with megasquirt fuel injection- fiberglass body panels but full interior? Can this transmission handle any power output? I guess I could find an old beater v8 awd expy to...
  17. H

99 XLT 4x4 Under Dash Squirrel

Hey all, I have a repetetive squeak/rattle/twitch that sounds like a squirrel chewing on a nut from 35 mph upwards and it seems to get louder the faster I go. I do have a front end shimmy at 60-70 mph but I don't think it is related as it happens at 35 as well. It sounds as if it is...
  18. H

Cruise Control Switch

EDIT: While the switch did not light up it functions perfectly- not very positive feeling switch but the car responds
  19. H

P0457, P1433, Evap/Gas Cap Leak

Well I think I figured mine out- Believe it or not the vent line to the tank was completely loose... I also removed the canister assembly, checked to see if they were clogged or any lines were cracked/loose, I unplugged the solenoid there and checked for 12volts with the key on. It was there...
  20. H

How to: Door Lock Actuator Write-Up

I replaced it before I read your response- I ended up drilling it out and replacing the rivet with a short stainless steel button head 1/4" x 20 bolt... worked great... but prying it out of the bracket would have been easier ;-)
  21. H

P0457, P1433, Evap/Gas Cap Leak

Hey all, I have a 1999 XLT Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC V6 with 114,500 miles. I was driving it the other day and out of the blue a CEL came on but with no driveability issues. I scanned it and found it to be P0457 loose/leaky gas cap. I tightened the cap and cleared the code and a few...
  22. H

Fuel Cap Light

I have the same problem as well- I am thinking it is the rubber line leaking that goes to the steel line to the filler cap neck? I will diagnose further and let you know- anyone discover what it was?
  23. H

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

I was told it was called a schwetty ball. LOL seriously though I believe it is called a vacuum reservoir. Did you blow through the lines? Is there water in it? Did you try bypassing it to see if it would work?
  24. H

How to: 2nd Gen NO AC ( or heat) FROM VENTS!!! A "How to" what to look for thread

Great thread thanks for posting this! A couple of notes from my experience--- 1) Bypass the vacuum ball to determine if it is leaking by connecting the black line directly to the source/red line. 2) Go to the firewall vacuum connector behind the glove compartment and switch the black...
  25. H

How to: Door Lock Actuator Write-Up

I am assuming you drilled out the rivet for the actuator and had the 1/4" pop rivet to put the new one back?
Back