Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

2011 XLT Tire/Rim “Upgrade”

A couple years ago, I bought my wife a 2011 XLT. Beautiful car and we both like it a lot. It’s her daily driver around town and great for the kids. However, one thing I don’t care for from a functionality perspective, is the 20” rim / 255-50-20 combo on highway tires. With the NJ winter on the...
  2. S

I'm Baaaaaack

Well guys, it has been a while since I have posted. My 99 XLT finally crapped the bed in late 2015. It gave me 220k+ miles and never really left me stranded. However, the timing chain guards finally gave out and were rattling pretty bad. It was still running at the time, but I didn't feel like...
  3. S

Truck won't start. Need some help.

99 Explorer XLT with pretty much everything inside the engine bay is stock. I noticed yesterday that when I got to work, there was a lot of smoke coming from under the truck. Turns out that oil was leaking onto the cat converter and burning off. I didn't have much time then ton look into it, but...
  4. S

Cat converter smoking

I did the old SeaFoam treatment this morning. After running the truck for approx 20 minutes or so, I turned it off. I was still getting a little residual smoke from UNDER the truck. Took a look and there was a bit of smoke coming off the cat converter. Is this something to be concerned about...
  5. S

And then there was light...

Won't bore you guys with many words...just let the pics do the talking... Before: After: Always wear protection... Night shots... Beautiful...
  6. S

Couple questions about SeaFoam.

Was considering seafoaming my explorer this weekend and had a couple of questions/concerns. I plan on using 1/3 of the can in the gas tank, 1/3 in the oil, and 1/3 in the vacuum hose (might not be exactly what it's called, but my brain isn't working currently. I know where it should go but I...
  7. S

Mcguiars Headlight Restoration Kit Success

Hey guys, thought I would share the success story of the Mcguiars headlight restoration polish. I went to Autozone to pick up some other stuff and ended up grabbing some no-name headlight polish to use. Went to the register and the guy there swore up and down by the Mcguiars and I figured it was...
  8. S

Weird question about wheel spacers

Was wondering if anyone has put wheel spacers ONLY on their front tires; therefore only widening stance of the front tires (think 1.5 or 2" per spacer). Would that cause any issues regarding the alignment or other issues down the road in the front end or transfer case? Would it look stupid? Not...
  9. S

Chop off part of stock bumper

Anybody got a link or pic of their 2nd gen with the bottom half of the stock bumper chopped off. I am almost positive that I have seen them here but I'm having no luck searching. I guess it would look sorta like the bumpers without the bottom chrome and fog light option. I am just looking for a...
  10. S

1999 Explorer - Low Mileage - Central Jersey

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/5433509762.html Not mine but a nice 99 Explorer with the low mileage. Figured someone here could turn it into a beast.
  11. S

Heat doesn't get hot. Thermostat?

Hey guys. The answer to my question may be obvious to some of you guys, but I'm not much on vehicle heating and cooling. During the summer, my thermostat went bad and was causing all sorts of overheating problems for my truck. Long story short, I removed the thermostat and ran (and currently...
  12. S

What PSI to run in 31" MTs?

I have been looking around the ole Internet to try to find an answer to my question and have had little success. I figured I would check in here because the answer to the question would be sort of model specific. I run 31x10.5x15 Firestone Destination MTs on my 99 Explorer XLT. I don't tow...
  13. S

Torsion bar bolts bottoming out?

Just a quick question guys. I was bored today so I figured I would do the old torsion twist in the front of my 99 Ex XLT. No problem, I was gonna do a rotate my tires anyway and figured I would hit the torsion bolts with WD40 and let them soak for a bit while I rotated the tires. Fast forward to...
  14. S

Will a 2007 brush guard fit a 1999 XLT?

Out of curiosity, I saw a 2007 center grill guard on CL (mounting hardware included). Was wondering if it would mount up to a 1999 XLT using that hardware, or would I have to modify it? Thanks
  15. S

Beastly 91 on CL in South Jersey

Not mine but it's a sweet looking truck. Free shout out for them. https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/5398733960.html
  16. S

1999 XLT SOHC - Water Pump or Thermostat

Hey guys. Thanks in advanced for your help. Driving home from work today, I had to pull over because my Explorer started to overheat. The vehicle went from Cool to Hot/Overheating on the temp gage in a matter of a couple miles. I pulled over and popped the hood, only to notice our favorite...
  17. S

Battery or Alternator?

Hey guys, on the way home from work last night, my battery or alt crapped out. I started it up no problem. I noticed that the dash lights were a little dim, but thought I was maybe imagining it. Then the radio head unit started flashing on and off. At a stop light, the beast really started to...
  18. S

Fuel Pump or Intake Manifold Gasket?

1999 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 213k+ miles on it. The truck drives great once started, but lately... In the cold weather (below freezing usually), I have a hard time getting it started. It normally takes several times of it cranking but not turning over. During those failed start attempts, I do...
  19. S

Recycled my lights/Filled holes

Hey guys. Dumbed down my Explorer due to my job (removed basket rack and Daylighters). However, I missed having some sort of auxillary lighting...so I compromised and recycled my rectangle 55 watters. I hard wired them to come on when my Ex is in the "on" or running position. Wanted to use them...
  20. S

Overheating problem or leak?

I am having an issue with my 99 XLT SOHC. Recently I have noticed that it has been having a slight burnt smell when I drive it. I describe it almost as an overheating smell, but my temp gauge doesn't go above 1/4. Once in a while, after driving it, I will see a slight bit of smoke coming out...
  21. S

Accessory fuse in distribution box?

Quick question guys. I installed auxiliary lights on my explorer (down where the tow hooks would be, below the grill). I have them about 90% wired up, but then hit a snag. I wanted to wire the "switch" side of my relay to an accessory power source under the hood because I want to use them as...
  22. S

99 Explorer having issues starting

Guys, I am having some issues and I am not sure if they are fuel related or electrical related or both. My issue: the engine is having trouble turning over. It does not seem to be the battery because it will crank every time. It will just not turn over. This has been an ongoing issue that's has...
  23. S

OBDII P0306 1999 Explorer

Best place to start? This morning I went to pick up my son at school and noticed that my CEL light was on. It was not blinking, just solid on. Took the truck to Autozone to get a diagnosis. OBDII read a P0306 code (cylinder 6 misfire). That was the only code, thankfully. Leading up to the CEL...
  24. S

Another Moisture In Tail Light Question

Guys, I searched the forums for this topic, and found a few regarding some of the newer generation Ex's...but none pertaining to my 99 2nd Generation. I am constantly having to replace the reverse light bulbs in my tail lights. (I would have to say probably once a year...when inspection rolls...
  25. S

Could someone please identify this hose?

Hey guys. I replaced the rear brake pads on my ex today...and when I was under the truck placing the jack in position...I noticed that there was a hose that apparently had dry-rotted and disconnected from the nipple. The nipple is attached to the rear axle, but I don't have a clue what it is...
Back