Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Goodbye 2002 Explorer XLT

It was a tough decision. We researched and tested all the vehicles with the towing capacity and features we wanted (except for one manufacturer we had a bad experience with). We liked the combination of features and technology in the new Pathfinder. It also came with a lifetime power train...
  2. J

Goodbye 2002 Explorer XLT

This was a GREAT car. I drove it to 207,648 miles before selling it yesterday to buy a new 2013 Pathfinder! It still runs great and I hope the new owners get a few more good years out of it. Third row seat and rear air to carry the kids and grandparents around at the same time, towed two...
  3. J

Overheating, intake or head gasket? How?

Sounds like your thermostat was sticking. Have you changed it? It's easy. I had best luck with the motorcraft brand. Change that first and see if you still get the spikes. Get a Scangauge so you can monitor real temps. Drive it and then take it some where that can check for exhaust gas in the...
  4. J

04 Explorer dies driving down the road

That happened to me also. My fuel pump was going bad. Find the fuel pump relay under the hood in advance. Next time the engine quits feel the fuel pump relay, if it is HOT that indicates the fuel pump stuck. My fuel pump went out at around 130,000 to 140,000 miles. If you end up replacing the...
  5. J

Oil in coolant reservoir?

I had a similar material in my coolant reservoir after my engine overheated (bad thermostat). When I flushed my system I found that the coolant was mostly clean and the gunk was only in the coolant reservoir. I believe it was lighter than the coolant and so all ended up in the reservoir. I...
  6. J

can't remove rear diff drain plug

Just a LITTLE heat from a propane torch was all mine needed to loosen the loctite/sealer.
  7. J

high miles

Does the motor need rebuilt or replaced? In your post you didn't say why you wanted to do that. If it doesn't need it, spend the money on your girlfriend instead. Much better investment.:D
  8. J

help with 7 way tow plug

If you want to install an electric brake controller, that is pre-wired also. The connector is behind the glove box (push in on the sides and pull down). The connector is taped up with black tape in the upper left. It's kind of hard to find, but it is there. I snaked the wire harness from my...
  9. J

Engine Rattle

I have 178,000 now on my `02. I do have the rattle. I have used better filters for the last 75K. I assume if I used the chinese brand of filter the rattle would be unbearable (or destructive!). I've had the rattle for 75K+. I've also had a grinding rear end for 110K. Has gotten better. I...
  10. J

5R55W Performance Issues

I had a similar problem and had the valve body/servos updated by the local trans shop ($700) and it's been good for the last two years...
  11. J

Headlights on, message center and radio lights off!

Turned out that replacing my headlight switch fixed the problem. Symptom was that when I manually turned on the headlights (not auto) the odometer display and radio displays went out. I pried out the switch enough to get the part number and ordered a new motorcraft one from Rockauto. It was an...
  12. J

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

175,550 so far on original trans. Had to have the solenoids replaced at about 160,000. I tow a 2,400 Lb pop up, 2,200 Lb bow rider, 3,500 Lb GVWR utility trailer. I replaced the class II hitch with class III for convenience several years ago. The only real problem I have had with it is that...
  13. J

2002 Explorer 4.0 Fuel Pump bad?

When my fuel pump failed the fuel pump relay would get hot. After turning the key on, wait a few minutes and then feel the relay (under the hood). If it's hot then it is the fuel pump. Someone on here also posted instructions for cutting a hole under the rear passenger seat to make a fuel...
  14. J

Headlights on, message center and radio lights off!

I just noticed this. When the headlight switch is in AUTO and the headlights come on, the message center and radio displays dim as they should. HOWEVER, if I put the headlight switch manually to the ON position, the message center and radio displays go out. I assume that the dimmer circuit is...
  15. J

2006 Explorer Tow Hitch

I cut the hitch out (just the receiver) and welded in a 2". I know it says "Do Not Weld, Cut, Drill, Or Modify This Hitch", but what the heck, it was free, just my time, and I can weld. My camper (3200 lbs gross weight) has trailer brakes, and my boat (3000 lbs) and utility trailer (3700 lbs...
  16. J

Need to Install Brake Controller - What do I need?

All (I think) connectors have been found behind the glove box taped to another harness in the back upper left. The harness is black and the tape is black, so it is hard to see, but it is there.
  17. J

Engine Rattle

I found that I get that noise when I use the cheap 'service' brand chinese oil filters. I do not get that noise with motorcraft or fram.
  18. J

overheating? done everything!

Is your new thermostat bad? Happened to me.
  19. J

Towing with v6

Forgot to add that I had lots of temp problems last year because of a $15 thermostat. Only takes a few minutes to replace them.
  20. J

Towing with v6

I was towing my trailer today in 90 deg weather and while driving around with frequent stops/starts (construction area) saw my temp get up to about 205 degrees (trans got up to 184 deg). I had a scan guage hooked up so I know what the internal temps were. The thermostat in these is supposed...
  21. J

Latest PCM Upgrade 1U7A-12A650-GMB for the 2002-2005 4.0L SOHC

I got mine done. I would say there is a 'slight' improvement in idle, and a 'slight' improvement in throttle. Cost me $82 for both engine and tranny at the dealer. I would say I 'think' there is a 'slight' difference in tranny in that it seems to know better when to shift but did not correct my...
  22. J

looking at a 02 eddie bauer 4.6 NEED HELP!

awdrocks, when was yours built? My gen 3 was built Dec 2000. I found a Ford paper in it that says "Not for sale to consumer". Hasn't been to bad, has 146K now.
  23. J

Washer fluid - REAR

Mr. Wolfzr2, the line has probably popped off just under the rear most passenger window. I wrote a description on here a while back how to fix it permanently. Basically, it took me less than 10 minutes (after I already paid the dealer $65 the first time - argh!). Pull off the top rear trim, pull...
  24. J

I got the squeeeeeeks!

I loosened those bolts up a bit and injected some grease between the bushing and the sway bar then tightened the bolts up. Mine hasn't squeeked in many miles. I used one of those cheap needles attached to my grease gun.
  25. J

OBD Code reader won't link to vehicle!

Take it to AUtozone or somewhere where they scan it for free. If they can scan it then it's your scanner thats the problem.
Back