Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

02 Ford Explorer Rear End Noise

02 Ford Explorer stock has a clunking noise from the rear end and has been going on for about 3 years now but is getting worse. You can hear it really loud if you are driving and let off the gas right before it shifts to 2nd gear. Also if I try to drive on wet or soggy grass and it will clunk...
  2. C

Trailer Hitch Question 02 Explorer xls

I have an 02 explorer xls 4 door. It has 1 1/4" factory hitch. I installed a 2" Curt hitch. I will be pulling a camper about 2500 pounds with the 2" can I use the 1 1/4" with my bike carrier to carry 2 bikes? It says not to use both hitches at the same time but the smaller hitch will just be...
  3. C

Rear Differential Issue

How would you go about to see if the u-joints are bad?
  4. C

Rear Differential Issue

For the past year I have heard noises coming from the rear end. It dosent happen all the time but it would "pop" when I would give it some gas after putting it in drive or in reverse. So I took it in and it was told when they put weight on it the sound was gears in the rear diff. So I guess the...
  5. C

02 explorer 4wd popping

02 explorer xls. when i put my truck in 4wheel high or low it starts making a popping noise, then when i take it out it is normal. there also is a pop noise when i have the truck in reverse, back out, then put it in drive. but that dosent happen all the time. 4wd does happen all the time...
  6. C

Explorer Starting Problems,Help!!

I think tomorrow i'll take it in and have it plugged into a computer to see if it finds anything.
  7. C

Rear wheel bearing & r/diff issues

I'll call this # tomorrow. I replaced mine 3 weeks ago. 117,000 miles. Never thought about doing that. Thanks!
  8. C

Explorer Starting Problems,Help!!

Ok, Still having problems starting 02 explorer xls v6. I have replaced spark plugs, wires, & fuel filter. 117,000 miles. When I go to start the truck it fires for a sec. then dies out. I then wait a few seconds and I must start the truck while my foot is pressed on the gas pedal all the way...
  9. C

Change Plugs?

no, it's usually on flat ground. sometimes with a full tank
  10. C

Change Plugs?

my explorer is a v6. It looks like on the drivers side you need to take off the air filter in order to get to the plugs.
  11. C

Change Plugs?

They are original. I replaced the 3 on the drivers side, 4,5,6. The pass. side looks like a pain in the ass to get to. The main problem that I am having is that every now and again when I go to start it it wont start. I'll need to put my foot on the gas and then It will start. I thought changing...
  12. C

Change Plugs?

How did you get to the plugs on the passenger side?
  13. C

Help with 4 wheel

In have a 02 ford explorer xls. The other day when I put the truck in 4 wheel high I heard a loud rubbing noise when I would make a right hand turn. When I turned left no problems. When I turned the 4 wheel off no problems. Truck has 117,00 miles. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings, rear...
  14. C

Help with 4wd

Anyone have any ideas?
  15. C

Help with 4wd

In have a 02 ford explorer xls. The other day when I put the truck in 4 wheel high I heard a loud rubbing noise when I would make a right hand turn. When I turned left no problems. When I turned the 4 wheel off no problems. Truck has 117,00 miles. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings, rear...
  16. C

02 Explorer 4x4 Noise

the loud clicking noise ended up being the e brakes were broken off, so i just had them removed. i would think it's something with the 4wheel based on that it only does it when the 4wheel is on. i did some research online and other people have experienced this problem but there was not a solid...
  17. C

02 Explorer 4x4 Noise

In have a 02 ford explorer xls. Yesterday when I put the truck in 4 wheel high I heard a loud rubbing noise when I would make a right hand turn. When I turned left no problems. When I turned the 4 wheel off no problems. Truck has 117,00 miles. I just replaced the rear wheel bearings, rear...
  18. C

rear struts, springs, and bearings out!

thanks! got it all fixed.
  19. C

Change Plugs?

My 02 explorer xls has 117,000 miles. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs. Should I do the wires also, are they easy to change? If not is it a big deal? Also what brand of plugs are the best, or most recommended? Thanks!
  20. C

the springs are cracked. thanks
  21. C

I am looking at about $1,100 to get rear bearings, struts, and springs repaired on my 02 ford explorer xls 117,000 miles. does this seem like a fair price i got 2 estimates and they are within 200 bucks of each other. Is any of this work something I could tackle? The only maintenance i've done...
  22. C

Spark Plugs

My 02 explorer xls has 117,000 miles. I'm thinking about changing the spark plugs. Should I do the wires also. If not is it a big deal. Also what brand of plugs are the best, or most recommended?
  23. C

02 Explorer. Rear springs, struts, and bearings out!

I am looking at about $1,100 to get rear bearings, struts, and springs repaired on my 02 ford explorer xls 117,000 miles. does this seem like a fair price i got 2 estimates and they are within 200 bucks of each other. Is any of this work something I could tackle? The only maintenance i've done...
  24. C

How To Change Antifreeze 2002 Explorer

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer and I need to change the antifreeze. I do the oil changes myself but never changed the antifreeze. How hard is it? Can anyone give a step by step break down? Thanks for your help.
  25. C

Rear differential leaking

also do you know its full when it starts to come out of the fill hole?
Back