Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Video* Help diagnose 4r55e troubles!

So, theoretically if I was to get a 2wd 5r55e, and a 2wd driveshaft, it would essentially be a bolt in affair? And do you have any links to Maniak's build?
  2. F

Carbureted 5.0 swap questions

Any thoughts?
  3. F

This is precisely what I have been thinking as well. I would assume a 2wd driveshaft would be a direct bolt in. I'm not against having a new driveshaft cut and balanced with the correct yoke to leave the output shafts the same and essentially make it a 2wd. I did this on my Starion and was...
  4. F

Whatever route I take, I will make a detailed build thread for you guys. It saddens me the amount of people that say that, and then the threads go non-updated for years. I've been dabbling with throwing a carbed 5.0 with AOD tranny in there and just hotrodding it up, but I don't know...a 5r55e...
  5. F

Carbureted 5.0 swap questions

I did a 5.0 swap in My Mitsubishi Starion. It's super quick, reliable, and runs like a champ. I have another motor and aod tranny that I'm considering throwing into my 96 4.0 xlt that has a blown tranny. Now that I've done it before on an odd application, I figure it would be cake on a truck...
  6. F

Thanks for that, man. Really appreciate the advice. I read a lot today! lol Problem is I'm now coming to terms with the fact that troubleshooting my problems one possibility at a time could be a rather expensive ordeal. Especially if I happen to do everything but what is causing my problems...
  7. F

Replacement options for 4R55E

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/kustomkonceptzllc/?action=view&current=photobucket-1574-1320355352360.mp4 link to a video I made earlier today showing exactly what my tranny is doing/not doing. Hopefully this could help you guys help diagnose what is going on here. Thanks again!
  8. F

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/aa147/kustomkonceptzllc/?action=view&current=photobucket-1574-1320355352360.mp4 1996 Ford Explorer 4x4. No CELs on, but obvious slippage. Watch video and let me know if my tranny is toast, or if it is worth fixing. Not seeing any of the common culprits being...
  9. F

I have not tried that yet. I may try that tonight. Does a delayed and slipping drive gear sound symptomatic of bands that need adjustment? I've been reading a lot on the valve body gaskets as well, but it doesn't seem like the symptoms match. I would just pull the pan, but our neighborhood is a...
  10. F

I've read EVERY 4r55e to 5r55e thread on this site and 50% of people say you need the full computer, harness, etc. and 50% say it will work fine with the switching of some components. I'm really confused. Does anybody know for sure if this works, because although I greatly appreciate your...
  11. F

I apologize if I'm asking to be spoon fed information here, but do you know of any existing tutorial, or step by step guide for switching the necessary components over? Something with some pictures perhaps? I'm mechanically inclined, but I rarely work with transmissions and wouldn't know a...
  12. F

So if I was to get my hands on a 5r55e from a 1999 2wd Ranger, Is it feasible that between the transmission I have now and the 5r I would have everything needed to allow the trans to function properly? It would just be a matter of swapping parts around, correct? And how about the mounting and...
  13. F

I have a 96 Explorer 4x4 4.0l with a 4r55e that does not go into gear. It will occasionally 'catch' and go into drive, but will slip under acceleration, or randomly slip for no reason. It is not my daily driver, so the first time it happened, I parked the truck and forgot about it. Now I want to...
  14. F

Air Suspension -Slamming an Explorer-

Well, I had to print this picture out and take it outside for comparison. What I found is that this is not a very easy situation. While it would obviously lower the truck and raise the front crossmember, there are a number of things that would have to be modified also. Firstly, the motor mounts...
  15. F

Thanks Ray. Those pictures would be really helpful. I can kind of picture what you are saying, but to see it is a different thing all together. Does this leave a stub that could interfere with bag placement? If you could also maybe explain the process of what needed to be disassembled and what...
  16. F

SlammedX, Bravo. Fantastic information. I was hoping you could elaborate on number 14. By "z-ing" are you referring to cutting the portion of chassis that the suspension mounts to and raising it to lower the suspension? (....or raise it? You know what I mean...) I'm concerned about doing this...
  17. F

Found this: http://www.heidts.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=40/prd40.htm Looks to be a nice product. So would that work with a factory Mustang II style suspension (control arms, steering rack, etc).? Meaning, could I get the rest of it at the boneyard and weld airbag mounts on? If...
  18. F

Bodydrop, looking for more info

Is that true? What year and model Explorers share the same front suspension with an Edge Ranger?
  19. F

removal of water-marks on windows??!!

You guys just need a good quality clay bar. That should work fine for what you're looking to do. Either that or when you're waxing your truck use the same rag to wipe down your windows and then buff them out with a microfiber. It'll be spot free, and kinda acts like rainX. Just some thoughts.
  20. F

rollpan for first and second gen explorers

Give it a shot. Just realize that the ends of the chassis and part of the cross brace must be cut off to get a rollpan to sit flush on a second gen. Post some pics of your progress.
  21. F

And just to clarify, This isn't intended to be a complete newbie thread. If anyone's looking to airbag an Explorer, they had better have some fabrication experience and a good working knowledge of how an air suspension works. I am lucky enough to have both. I also understand that there will be...
  22. F

I have a ton of questions, so I'll just list them as I think of them in no particular order. 1) Where does one find a universal mustang II front cross member? 2) How much do they run? 3) What are ones options for wheel patterns? I.E. Could I use my existing wheels? 4) Do you lose your anti...
  23. F

Spdrcer34 is absolutely right. Thats what I've got going on right now exactly, except I removed my window handle and got round headed bolts to keep the latch on the inside with just a small solenoid to pop the bearclaw. gave it a smoother look. Wow, those pics are old. Looks a lot different now...
  24. F

Absolutely awesome, guys. Thanks for the ragtop info, xfactor. My name is Ray too. Slammedxonair, Ive been following your threads closely for a while. I'd appreciate any information you're willing to offer. While I personally want to begin assembling the parts needed for this type of build, I...
  25. F

I've been lingering on this website for some time and all my searches and attempts to find any rock-solid information about other peoples existing air suspension setups on the second gen Explorer have been fruitless. What I'm wanting to do is collect all the pictures, part numbers, and know how...
Back