Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

Wheel well liners! any ideas?

Napa has some rolls of rubber with different thickness's. I would get some of that and cut to fit. I did it for my old pathfinder but not my X
  2. Z

Homemade shackles

I just finished mine up yesterday and am putting the second coat of flat black on today. I used 2"X 1/2 flat bar since we had some laying around on the rack outside the shop. They are 10.25"long with the holes 8.25" center to center. Nothing too special since I am getting a set of 31's. For now...
  3. Z

Another power window problem

Hi all, This past weekend I found out that my passenger and both back windows are not working on their own switch. I can control them from mine but not from theirs. The window lock switch is not engaged (I tried switching it to lock on off position many times) either but it seems like it is...
  4. Z

Explorer destroys timing chain tensioners

Yeah unfortunately the SOHC v-6's are prone to this problem. I hear it is kind of a crapshoot some do some dont. I think there was a recall if you got it back in the shop before like 60,000 or 70,000 miles. That's a big I think!! I am really not sure. Anyway I wish I knew if mine was done cause...
  5. Z

4x4 clunk

JohnnyBoy, Did you really try to power brake your sport in the Auto mode? Have you done the BWM?
  6. Z

Loud clunk and buck going into 4-low

Thanks gijoecam, I figured it was something like that kinda. I did engage it again when I got back to the rig site and I drove like 15 ft then disengaged it and it worked fine so hopefully it was a fluke!
  7. Z

winter is here ,, so,,,,,,,

Last winter I worked in Labarge Wyoming close to a town called "Big Piney" which has a sign outside town talking about how it is the coldest town in Wyoming or something or other. Either way it got down to -40 not inlcuding a slight wind chill. That was too dam cold I hope to never work there again!
  8. Z

Issues! My baby is making a horrible noise

Do you have the SOHC V-6? If so you might have the dreaded timing chain tensioner rattle problem these engines seem to be prone to. Unfortunately if you do it might require you to pull th engine to fix it. I think the front can be done without taking the motor out but I there is a chain in the...
  9. Z

Loud clunk and buck going into 4-low

Hello everybody, First off I have been attempting to run a search for this kinda topic but I get nothing but blank pages so here it goes. I have a 98XLT with the Auto,4high,4low system or "truetrac" Is what I think it's called. I've had the truck for a few months now and we are finally starting...
  10. Z

Is My Truck Stuck In 4x4

1. If you wondering if the auto 4x4 is stuck in 4high then take a tight turn on dry pavement going really slow if you in 4high you will feel the drive line bind because the tires will be turning at different speeds. If it turns smooth then your ok. 2.Not a expert by any means at all but since...
  11. Z

Let's start planning a mid-summer trail run.

I know this thread is very old but I wanted to bring it back. I currently live in Ft. Collins and my job (Geo Consulting) has not allowed me to do any wheeling in a long time. I used to be able to hit up some easy to mid level trails with my previous truck. It was a Nissan Pathfinder slightly...
  12. Z

winter is here ,, so,,,,,,,

Nice mod! As I am sure you already know if you play with the truck in deep snow you might plug that hole in the bumper and pack snow underneath which would cause you to overheat. I just say that cause I was working up around LaBarge WY last winter and it was -35 degrees F so I used some...
  13. Z

Cleaning rear wiper arm = I can see out my back window now

Nice work. I thought I had a wiper arm problem with mine as it was like yours and did not clean very well. All I did was take an alchohol prep pad (in first aid kits) and wipe the wiper blade and it works great now!
  14. Z

'98 leaf spring question

From my little experience in this forum and with Explorers I have not read of any gen1 to gen 2 swaps. Are you looking to gain actual lift or just level out? My 98 XLT 4 door has the drivers side lean and the rears are sagging atleast 1.5" compared to the front. I'm planning on just buying lift...
  15. Z

No AC belt on Ex that has AC...

You could try using a car stethoscope. Or if you dont have one just get a metal rod and place it on both the ac and the power steering pump if you can access it. Just be careful not to get it caught up in the belt!!! If you have bad bearings or whatever then you should hear some nasty grinding.
  16. Z

'98 leaf spring question

Not sure if 1st gen leaf springs will work with your sport. But 4-door second generations will. If you get some used ones out of a boneyard be careful as you might inherit the drivers side lean. Might just switch them around. Does that make sense?
  17. Z

a guy really F'd up his engine

Wow I have seen/heard of some dumb things but Wow! I had a buddy that knew nothing about cars. He called me one night and said his grand am was running like crap after he filled up on gas. He described the symptoms to me and I asked him if he still had his reciept. He did and I told him to...
  18. Z

Ticket for accelerating too fast with my 35s and stock gears

Sounds about right coming from Georgia!! I lived in Alabama for 10 years and had a couple run-ins with Georgia,Alabama and Florida police.
  19. Z

Bad gas mileage?

X2 I was going to say the same thing. You can not get a good feel for you mileage on 110km or a quarter of a tank. Listen to Aldive he seems to be the mpg master!
  20. Z

safe to use 4x4 high on the highway?

Yeah if you need to use 4high on the highway just dont go above like 55 (if you can go that fast then you shouldnt be in 4x4 anyway) The 4x4 binds when making turns in 4x4 on dry surfaces because you have traction and basically during a turn the outer wheel is traveling at a different speed than...
  21. Z

suspension question

It's not your Torsion bar that is causing the lean. It is a common explorer problem. It happens because your gas tank is totally on the drivers side. This along with the weight of the driver over the years causes the drivers side leaf spring to sag more than the passenger side. You could just...
  22. Z

Oil pan plugs and changing oil

I sometimes use the "punch a hole in the filter method" or I just lay down cardboard. I also have one of those big square oil drain bucket thingies. You unscrew a plastic plug on the side and in the pan itse lf. It holds 9 quarts and it is big enough that if you place it right you will not drip...
  23. Z

Don't let this happen to your ranger!!!! Lol

That's a pretty bad accident! Hope your alright.
  24. Z

Rear of Explorer Shakes

I'm thinking possibly the U-joint? I would think a bent wheel would give vibration/shaking at higher speeds too. Seems like a bad rear end would do it at higher speeds also. I am no mechanic though just speaking from my little bit of personal experience.
  25. Z

Need opinions from lift guru's

That is the dilemma I am dealing with. I want a decent departure angle. The truck will be going off road alot more once I get it set up the way I want it. I am definitaly leaning towards just getting new springs. I am not looking to go too tall right now since I still use the truck on the...
Back