Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Center console lid - spring removal?

(crossposted from The Ranger Station) On my new-to-me 96 B2300 (a/k/a 4 cyl Ranger) with the 1/3 - 2/3 split bench seat, the flip-down center console has lost the little latch that holds the lid closed on the console. Right now the lid is held closed by a velcro strap but that's a PITA to...
  2. M

Back with a Ranger...sort of.

This is a 4x2 though...and it will have a shell although first priority will probably be tunes since it doesn't have a stereo now.
  3. M

Back with a Ranger...sort of.

I actually joined this forum more than 10 years ago when I drove a 1999 Ranger. I know a few folks who post mostly in the off-road section, ScottB, Tbars (Ted), Brian, from some trail runs, but my vehicle has always been a 4runner. Well, I still have the 4runner but on Monday I should be...
  4. M

EF 3rd Annual Desert Expedition May 21-29 2013 Discussion

Plenty of places to meet in or near Vegas... Scott, is May 21 the start date or the meet date? IOW are we rolling North on the morning of the 21st (meaning we need to be in Vegas on the evening of the 20th) or are we meeting on the 21st and rolling North on the 22nd?
  5. M

My vote would be for Mid - May as a first choice or mid - April as a second. I've been in Northern Nevada (Black Rock Desert area) around Memorial Day and it wasn't too hot at all. Downright cool at night, in fact and probably not above 90 during the day. If everyone else is OK with...
  6. M

Ted, Scott, Michael, Brian, etc, pencil me in as a "maybe" at this point, wife and I are still looking at our plans for this year, haven't really started on next year. But Liz knows I need a camping trip by myself at least once a year so I can get a "kitchen pass" pretty easy (heck, with our...
  7. M

Official Moab to Monument Valley 2012 trip report

Hi, everyone. My trip report over on ExPo has resumed, as the wife is home and doing much better. Ted, so sorry to hear about your loss! Harley was a sweetheart and I know you'll miss her.
  8. M

For those interested, I have started a trip report over on ExPo: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/78252-Desert-Expedition-II-Moab-Trip-Report Feel free to jump in with photos or comments of your own!
  9. M

Well, my trip report is done, finally. It is 16 pages. Single spaced, with no photos (yet.) Yes, it needs a little editing...:D
  10. M

Did you clean the mice off too? :D BTW, DVDs went in the mail today, 1st class. Should be at your homes within a few days.
  11. M

If it helps I didn't get the last of the red dust out of my 4runner until this past weekend (a week and a half after getting home!) That stuff gets everywhere!
  12. M

Scott, Brian, Ted, Gary, Sib and Michael: Your DVDs should be in the mail this afternoon. Still working on the trip report. May have it up by this weekend.
  13. M

Brian: Great pictures! You really captured a lot of the great scenery we saw. I started a "teaser" thread over on ExPo but I'm still going through my pictures. I think I took about 750 photos. Total size is 2gb so I will be burning DVDs for you guys not CDs. Hope to have them in the mail...
  14. M

Moab Expedition Trip April 17-25, 2012

The real issue is going to be: Do you have low range? I'm pretty sure low range is a neccessity at least on the White Rim portion of this run, due to the low speeds and steep climbs. Once we get outside White Rim, I'm not sure we will be using/needing low range. In those areas a decent...
  15. M

I drove right through the location of the "bivouac area" in 2008. The road that goes to the East of UT24 is the same one that leads to the Hans Flat ranger station which is the Western entrance to the Maze District of Canyonlands NP. In fact, Hans Flat is located within the "abort and safety...
  16. M

Crossposted from ExPo: Email from Canyonlands NP At this point I think all of us who are going are on both forums, but in case there's someone who wants to join us for our trip, I'll post this, crossposted from ExPo: I emailed the Canyonlands office yesterday to ask about where/when to...
  17. M

Reservations have been made (CROSS POSTED FROM EXPO) Ok, I just got off the phone with the Ranger at Canyonlands. Most of the permits are gone (Lesson learned: White Rim permits go fast so get your requests in early!) If you haven't done so already, go to this web site...
  18. M

Here's an Astronotix site about it. http://www.astronautix.com/sites/blakmesa.htm Location given as Longitude: -109.2900 deg. Latitude: 37.3700 deg. Here's the Wiki, which is pretty sparse: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Mesa_Test_Range Location given as 37°22′N 109°17′W...
  19. M

Google/Wikipedia give the site's location as 37° 22′ 0″ N, 109° 17′ 0″ W, SE of Blanding. If that's the correct location, a quick Google Maps search reveals not a lot there. I see one building and some flattened earth areas that may have been launch sites. The coordinates above appear to be...
  20. M

You know what's funny - I consider myself something of an amateur "cold war historian" and I never knew about that until yesterday when I Mapquested the distance between Moab and Green River and the map showed the "Utah Launch Complex." So I googled around and found some interesting stuff...
  21. M

Scott, I replied on ExPo as well, but what are your plans for Tuesday night? Staying in a motel in Green River? Also just some info for those not familiar with the area: Green River is a very small town. I'm not even sure if they have any major chain grocery stores. Ice and gasoline and...
  22. M

Ted: AFAIK Moab will be the nearest. However, you should be fine, really. The route will be a ~120 mile "loop" going clockwise from Moab, then West along the CO river, turning North along the Green, and then (presumably) returning East via Mineral Bottom Road to US191, and then straight South...
  23. M

If we fill up in Moab we can avoid UT313 altogether - just take the Potash Road, (UT 279) right out of Moab (just after you cross the CO river.) It starts off as paved but then turns to dirt. Just inside Canyonlands it intersects with the Shafer trail (the switchbacks going up to the "top" of...
  24. M

Crosspost... (Crossposted from http://www.expeditionportal.com) If we plan on doing White Rim we're going to have to get a vehicle count and get our camping permits squared away. I haven't checked the web site in a few months but there is a limit to the number of vehicles that can be at a...
  25. M

Communications... I just installed my 2 meter HAM. Will anyone else be on 2m there? If so I can try to find a list of repeaters we can hit. I also work close to the USGS map warehouse so if anybody is having difficulty getting maps, let me know and I'll see what I can find. 1:100,000...
Back