Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

Explorer Police Interceptor

While red and blue are big "no-no"s, I don't think amber is a problem. At least in NJ. Here, I think amber is more of a "warning- possible danger here- pay attention" kind of thing. Amber is commonly used on construction vehicles. Its also used, and required, on any vehicle that is actively...
  2. C

F350 Cab Swap '96 onto '94 Chassis

Too bad you're so far away. I doubt it would be worth a cross-country trip. I wonder what freight would be for a pallet of various body parts? (doors, tailgate, fenders, running board/nerf bars, etc..) This thing is already turning into a money pit. Now it needs rear springs, as the "main"...
  3. C

I didn't buy them, but I think they are worth saving. Rather then do the cab swap, I would keep the '96, and put the motor/trans/t-case from the '94 in. The frame wasn't that bad, and the body would be fine for a work truck. I just need something asap, and I can't wait to rebuild a project. But...
  4. C

Well, what the title says: I'm looking at buying a '94 F350 with a wrecked cab/bed. The frame is straight. It comes with a parts truck donor for the cab/bed. The donor is a '96. Both trucks are F-350's, 351/5.8L, 5spd, 4x4. The '94 chassis has a nearly new motor and clutch, along with a ton of...
  5. C

'93 Ranger 4.0L - Poly motor mounts?

It's the shape of the rubber that I'm interested in. Is it just a square block or some sort of funky shape? The reason I ask is Energy Suspension offers polyurethane blocks.
  6. C

Anybody have an old OEM mount they could take apart and post pics of? I'd like to see the shape, size, and method of attachment of the rubber inside.
  7. C

Thanks for the info. Those autofab mounts look good, but they also look simple enough to make, that they should be half the price, or less. Another case of someone pricing themselves right out of any significant sales.You could actually buy a cheap welder and material for right around what they...
  8. C

Sure, I could... But then I wouldn't have asked about a poly mount. This is a daily driver/work truck. Solid motor mounts would not be appropriate for this vehicle. Wow! Nobody has any answers on this?For a fairly popular 20+ year old truck, I though these would be easy to find.:mad:
  9. C

Quick & Dirty front brake job

Its always "deemed" necessary. Its like changing your oil without changing the filter. Many quality pads sets even come with new hardware in the box anyway, and for those that don't, they, literally, cost a couple of dollars. a.) It should be clarified, the "sticky goop" that goes on the back...
  10. C

I'm going to be replacing the motor and trans in my '93 Ranger soon. It will be getting a mildly worked 4.0L-OHV (comp 410 cam, light port/polish, headers), but I drive it and work it hard. I feel like the available parts store motor mounts just don't hold up (or the trans mounts..). I can't...
  11. C

1st gen Batch Fire Injection to Sequential electronic injection swap

Oh.... Makes more sense now. That seems a little ridiculous that SCT can't provide a stock strategy for the SEFI code. Seems to me they should offer to just go ahead and read one off an ecm, and make it available. They clearly have the in house capability to do so. I guess, in your case...
  12. C

I'm confused. Does this mean you are going to be able to run an ecm that supports SEFI? If not, why wouldn't the tune you already have work with the ecm you already have? Or are you using a different ecm? If so, why are you changing ecm's if you already have a working one?
  13. C

4.3l sohc v6?

Huh.. That is pretty good for the SOHC. Chevy Vortec heads, capable of making 400hp on a mild 350, only have 1.94 in / 1.50 ex valves, and they are regarding as one of the best flowing oem iron heads GM ever made. I have a set on my currently disabled Chevy K30 pickup. I do think that a...
  14. C

4.3l sohc v6?

Actually, I think you are overlooking a big benefit of a bigger piston / bore...... It helps to un-shroud the valves. In fact, smaller valves, with less shrouding can often flow better then cramming a larger valve in and ending up with increased shrouding, both in the chamber and from the top of...
  15. C

Sometimes, by the time you see an indication of a problem, its too late. Damage may already be done. Also, a wideband o2 does nothing to monitor timing changes in real time; which can be just as dangerous or more so, then an improper a/f ratio. You are partially correct, in that theory does...
  16. C

That would depend on whatever was programmed into the open loop look up tables, by the tuner. You would have to find out if an EGR failure code triggers the ecm to revert to open loop/limp mode or not. On the one hand, EGR has no function when at idle, under load, or at WOT. However, as someone...
  17. C

Just like to point out, what you described is accurate for your 2000, or most, if not all 96+ OBD2 vehicles, as they have heated o2 sensors, and tend to reach closed loop status faster and stay in it for a greater percentage of time, then older obd1 vehicles. Its part of why obd2 vehicles...
  18. C

4.3l sohc v6?

You could have a block or 2 sonic checked. I believe its about $100-$150 for that process. It might be even less for a V6. That would give you a definitive answer as to what overbore your block can handle. If you're willing to spend the money, you could test several blocks, and have a good...
  19. C

4.3l sohc v6?

"Jakee's" motor build thread has lots of good info, though the last few pages went way off track, and is filled with a bunch of irrelevant ( to a 4.0L motor build) chatter http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247561&page=15 A 4.0" piston will fit. The consensus was that early...
  20. C

WTB - Hurst short throw shifter part# 3915020 - Ranger w/ m5od

STILL looking, if anybody has one.
  21. C

EATC issue with interchange

Maybe this would be helpful? http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363745&highlight=EATC
  22. C

Rear Differential Pinion Seal Part #

Dorman has a part#, available on rock auto for $20.99, that gives you a new seal, new pinion nut (which is a "one time use" type of nut, so should be replaced.), and a new pinion flange (the part that the driveshaft bolts to. Over time, like anything else, the seal may have worn a groove in the...
  23. C

Part Out 1999 Explorer Sport - very limited time before scrapping.

Wheels are sold. Still have the center caps. I saved, and have for sale: 1.) all (4) center caps - for the 16" aluminum wheels. 2.) factory cd/cass radio, along with the in console cd changer and ALL the wiring for it (I spent an hour digging out the harness that runs under the console, up...
  24. C

WTB - Hurst short throw shifter part# 3915020 - Ranger w/ m5od

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller???????? I hope to be doing this install soon, so I will need either the Hurst shifter, or a stock shifter handle from a Ranger/Explorer with the M5R1-HD trans ( I THINK anything with a SOHC should have the re-indexed shifter handle.)
  25. C

Changing head gaskets

I would highly recommend replacing all of your exhaust bolts with stainless ones. It doesn't matter if you snap one off now, on the old heads, but you'll be very glad to have those stainless ones in there if you need to remove them again later, on the new heads. Also, be sure to put copper...
Back