Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

BW4405 rear transfer case part

Thanks I will give them a call and post the price for future inquires on this site for the bw 4405.
  2. T

BW4405 rear transfer case part

Does anyone know where i can buy the rear case on a 4405? The hole where the rear output shaft bearing sits has been worn out so that it's oval and i would like to replace it but i cant seem to find anyone whole sells just the rear case. Any help would be appreciated. I have already replaced...
  3. T

Odometer problems

or........... I just had that problem and as it turned out the rear bearing on the transfer case was loose and leaking so that i had to rebuild the transfer case and it fixed the problem. I would grab the rear output shaft at the transfer case and see if you can move it up and down and/or side...
  4. T

P0442 Code

evap leak code Po442 Yep, thats what it is. According to the haynes manual, "EVAP small leak detected". I really recommend this manual as it explains a lot that another book that shall remain nameless, doesn't provide. The system traps and stores vapors In the fuel tank, throttle body, and...
  5. T

Brake Job

minimume thickness On the back inside or outside hub there should be stamped into the metal, a minimum thickness number you should see, as for fluid -every two years you should bleed. Ahem, yes moisture can get sucked into the brake fluid causing contamination and eventually deposits. (...
  6. T

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

Snap ring under planetary gear Well, after an hour of prying the snap ring apart i finally got the planetary gear to come out (yay), and now i understand how the snap ring retains the bearing under the planetary gear to the case. Man what a hassle but now i am starting to put the case back...
  7. T

How to: The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

4405 rebuild diary question. Thanks for the rebuild diary. It has helped a lot. I am down to the planetary gear and have been having a lot of problems trying to get the snap ring under the planetary gear to release. From the picture you show of the snap ring on the bearing it does not look like...
  8. T

Yet another P0171 and P0174

air leak The mechanic i took it to sprayed carburetor cleaner around the engine area while it was running and when he sprayed it on the tube the truck started to run rough. I would imagine those guys see a lot of these problems so they know what to check first. Sometimes they will use an...
  9. T

Yet another P0171 and P0174

had the same problem And i took it in to be diagnosed. It turned out the tube from the egr valve going into the manifold had a leak around the gasket that went into the manifold. That should be the first suspect. When air leaks into the manifold it causes a lean fuel mixture. If that is not the...
  10. T

What kind of milage should I expect, and what do you get?

hyper mileage driving I agree, a lot of it is a hassle and some of the things they do are dangerous but with the cost of gas, i am gonna do my best to squeeze as much as i can out of a gallon. as far as the starter is concerned , if you do a lot of driving it will pay for the cost of replacing...
  11. T

What kind of milage should I expect, and what do you get?

hyper mileage driving I read an article in my local newspaper about hyper mileage driving. It has a lot of good ideas about why some people get better miles per gallon even tho they have the same vehicles. Of course every cars gets different numbers. I work for dominos and i got about 13 to 14...
  12. T

separation of trsnfer case from tranny

I mean I mean the engine would have to be jacked up or something to get to the bolts
  13. T

Hoping I was hoping you would say that. I had a sneaking suspicion that the engine or some thing like that would have to be done. Thanks for the info.
  14. T

Transfer case problem

Thanks for the input. I think i am going to buy a rebuild kit to replace the bearings, seals and other minor things. If i see other damage i can always buy that part. The mechanic did say the rear output shaft was really wobbly so hopefully it hasn't caused any internal damage. I just wonder how...
  15. T

Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the transfer case from the tranny on a 96 explorer, 4.0, xlt? It's a bw 4405. Its still in the truck and im thinking of rebuilding it rather than paying $2000. Is there a thread on how to remove it? I'm pretty handy with cars but haven't tackled...
  16. T

headlight switch problem, maybe

My dash lights aren't affected, just the back light for the headlight switch, the small lights in the dash that say if your four wheel drive is on, and the cruise control is off. otherwise all the lights in the dash are on. But i am wondering if the wheeled dimmer switch could be the problem.
  17. T

headlight switch problem, maybe

Hi ya'll. I think this place is great and i am hoping someone can help me. I have a 96 explorer and when i turn my headlight switch to either the running lights or to headlights, the light for the switch, dimmer switch, dash indicator lights,(cruise control,4x4 and other non emergency lights)...
  18. T

P0171 P0174 P0455

Oops guess you found it.
  19. T

P0171 P0174 P0455

Codes Im not a guru but i did have this problem with both banks running lean in the fuel rails. Had a diagnostic done and it turned out the tube going from the egr valve to the intake manifold was leaking right where it meets the manifold and fixed it. Low and behold the codes haven't shown up...
  20. T

Transfer case problem

I have a 96 explorer xlt with a 4.0 engine. This is a control track vehicle. Recently the speedometer started doing a funky jiggle during acceleration and would go to zero when i let off the gas pedal. The check engine light came on and indicated that the vehicle speed sensor was faulty so i...
  21. T

Glad to be Here

Hello. Glad to be a part of this forum.
Back