Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

clunking, binding, bucking......

To unplug the harness just get under the vehicle (drivers side) and look at the transfer case, you will see the plug...just unplug it. The 4 wheel won't work anymore but the light will still occasionally blink. I am going to plug mine back in and disconnect the brown wire. behind the radio...
  2. R

Where can I get driveshaft speed sensors

Thanks for all of that......... Does anyone know where and how much the sensors are? I mean there just hal effect sensors right? What about $20-$30 each? If they are more than maybe I won't bother. I'm trying to weigh out my options here. I just want to sell this for $3000 and buy a mini...
  3. R

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218972
  4. R

yep the ones I need to check are the ones that watch the drive shaft....mine is going into 4 wheel when it shouldn't....I had to unplug the wire harness from the TC. So they are on the transfer case? Ok how do I check them? Are they inexpensive? Maybe I'll just replace one and see if it stops...
  5. R

4055? is that a typo? I thought they were 4405's? I looked at that before I asked questions.....and this is what threw me off, he sadi and I quote "That is the gear for the vehicle speed sensor. That means this is a 97 or earlier because in 98 they eliminated that in the TC and put it on the...
  6. R

Where can I get the 2 drive shaft sensors for my 99 explorer 4.0? Are the on the transfer case or differentials? Does anyone know exactly how to trouble shoot them with a multimeter? Anybody ever replace them? What's involved. Sorry for so many questions.......but I'm a newbie. Been wrenching...
  7. R

ahhhhh .......OK..........I thought about that after I posted it but I wanted to hear your reply anyways.........thanks again, you've been very helpful.
  8. R

How to: How to install leak proof magnetic drain plugs.

wait a minute.......I'm a hvac tech and you can not solder steel to steel using regular lead free plumbing solder...you can use silver solder but that takes more heat than propane. I'd like to see that picture up close.
  9. R

So your saying these actually lock the front like a locker when in 4 wheel drive? I thought these were limited slip? Or are you saying it's malfunction is causing it lock? or do these really lock? I'm confused.:( I am familiar with the binding that occurs from that.....I've owned a few big...
  10. R

Thanks for your help....I just sent him a private message. What about the binding clunking problem?
  11. R

Where can I buy the sensors? How much are they? I just did a search and came up with nothing.
  12. R

Dealer ship = too much money. Can't I just check them myself?
  13. R

The lights do occasional blink, like a sensor is telling it the the driveshaft is spinning, like you said. AND When it was in 4 wheel drive......you can't drive it because it binds up way to bad. Like the front axle or wheel is going to snap. So what does that tell you? More than one...
  14. R

I think I can negotiate better if it's working. SOHC 4.0
  15. R

Thanks guys........ What model transfer case should I be looking for? Or should I split the cases and repair this one? I am pretty handy with wrenches I have rebuilt a few 4 cylinder air cooled motors and I am pretty confident in my skills....just don't know which way is going to be cheaper...
  16. R

I was originally thinking cv joint but it doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive.....why?
  17. R

OK so I have 2 problems? 1. I need to replace the transfer case to stop the binding problem 2. I need to replace the sensor to make it stop going into 4 wheel drive. Correct? I really need to fix this so I can sell it and get a van for the wife, now that we have 4 kids the Explorer...
  18. R

About 2 years ago my front drivers side really started ratcheting, bucking and binding so bad that the Explorer had to be parked. It was very noticeable you could hear it from 100 feet away and if I tried turning at slow speed the front end would rise up and back down and clunk badly, it also...
Back