Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

New Ford/Explorer Owner 2022 Timberline

Don't think there is any installation difference between the Timberline and other trim levels on the rear shocks. Just did the rears on my XLT this weekend. Passenger rear was leaking at 44,000 miles. Three bolts, all 18mm. Two on top, one on the bottom. You are supposed to get new hardware...
  2. M

My 2021 XLT review

Potato, Potato... Tomato, Tomato (just pronounce them the different way). Even on tire rack they are referred to as winter / snow tires. I don't find one or the other outdated. Reality is these are just a class of tires that promote ice/snow/winter traction over the other parameters that...
  3. M

2022 Explorer XLT in Snow

Agree - Ford calls it 4WD, but in reality it operates as an AWD system on this generation. Given where you live, you want the 4WD / AWD version. Reality is that most sold in our part of the country are, but be aware that RWD only versions are available. Had a friend who did not realize that...
  4. M

Just going to point out the difference in architecture between your 2017 and the 2020+ models. The 2017 was built on a common platform that supported the Explorer, Flex, and Taurus nameplates. It was a FWD first platform, with the ability to send power to the rear tires as needed. The engines...
  5. M

With the right tires, they are very capable. There are some other threads on the top of the lists right now complaining about performance on the stock tires, which does not surprise me based on the reviews of the Michelins that came stock on our Explorer XLT with 20's. We run dedicated snow...
  6. M

My 2021 XLT review

I hear you on the changeover... and storing the tires (I store three sets these days for three vehicles...) It adds up. If I had not gone the route of dedicated winter tires, I would have looked at some of the options like Michelin Cross Climates, Goodyear Assurance Weatherready, Bridgestone...
  7. M

My 2021 XLT review

Guess I'll be the rebuttal. Tires, tires, tires. Our 21 XLT AWD is bar none the best snow and ice vehicle we have ever owned. And we don't fool around with all the modes. The difference between the above reviews and ours: We use a set of dedicated snow tires (General Grabber Arctic). One...
  8. M

whats the difference between a factory-installed tow hitch and an after-market tow hitch?

The brochure that peterk9 provides in his link above tells you what came in the factory tow package for a 2020 - (7 Wire Harness and 4pin/7pin connector, class III hitch receiver, an engine oil cooler, and cargo area storage management system (whatever that is).). Max capacity with the tow...
  9. M

2023 Ford Explorer XLT won't shift out of Park

Being honest, that should have been the whole post. I made changes in forscan regardless of what you changed, and now the transmission won't shift. The message right away would have been to revert back to the non-modified data and try again. Tough to give good advice without the right...
  10. M

are you leasing or financing?

We financed our 2021 on a 60 month loan at 2%. Just like every other vehicle we've bought - decent down payment, 5 year term to payoff, and typically pay off in full between year 3 and 4. On track to do so on this one too. The loan gives us some flexibility if we decide not to pay it off in...
  11. M

Long Shop Times

You are correct for repairs the owner did not participate financially in. (Ie: Warranty work).
  12. M

Something different, No issues with my 21 King Ranch - who else?

36k miles on the clock on our 21 XLT. I had to tighten a few nuts on a shield on the passenger side after we bought it to silence some rattling, but its been trouble free with only normal maintenance (oil changes and tire rotations). With snow tires on it, it is the most capable snow driving...
  13. M

WTF Ford

Being the owner of a 21 Explorer and having rented a 21 4 Runner this summer, the 4Runner reminded me of the 2007 Explorer we got rid of to get the 21 Explorer. Are 4 Runners reliable? Yes. Are they very much off road capable? Also yes. Beyond that, there was little that would make me...
  14. M

2020 Explorer Limited 4WD Road Trip Fuel Economy

We've hit as high as 29 MPG in our 2021 XLT with the 2.3 and 4WD. OVerall averaging 22.8 MPG in the same usage as the 2007 ExplorerV8 it replaced, which averaged 14.5 MPG in the same use. It was a gas hog, and the 2.3 feels way peppier. The only thing we miss is the V8 growl... Will also...
  15. M

Engine Braking When in Tow/Hual

As the OP has probably figured out by now, when you apply the brake, the trans wills drop a gear or two and engage engine braking, and keep it going even without your foot on the brake. Very useful when towing a trailer on long grades, etc... The flip side is the smaller displacement ecoboost...
  16. M

2020 Explorer XLT tow package

6th Gen per the towing guides states the towing package adds the 7 Wire Harness and 4pin/7pin connector, 2" receiver hitch, and an engine oil cooler. And the tow package is definitely available on XLTs - it was a requirement we bought ours.
  17. M

Just bought a 2021 Ford Explorer: Things i just do not get ...

What am I missing? The one feature you have griped the Explorer didn't have is the cooled seats, which as was pointed out the Limited trim level comes with the "ventilated seats", but you complained was too expensive. Being blunt, the Limited trim level is the proper comparison to your 2015...
  18. M

The fusion was a dead end platform, so no surprise that Ford didn't bother upgrading anything in that lineup (2020 was the last year they were made). Similarly, the Ranger gets its full upgrade for the 2024 year. It takes time and development to upgrade any platform. There isn't one...
  19. M

Why a scaled down infotainment with no nav? Easy - they want you to spring for a higher trim level. Its the same car with a higher pricetag essentially... Seriously, we have nav in ours and never use it, but it was packaged up with other stuff. Google maps is our nav of choice... In addition...
  20. M

Gas octane requirement

Advertised HP/TQ is using 93 octane per the information from Ford. (This holds true across the entire ecoboost engine lineup in all vehicles except the F150 non-raptor engines). We've used 87 octane E10 or 88 octane E15 nearly exclusively in our 21 Explorer with no concerns or complaints. If...
  21. M

2022 Explorer Hybrid - Fogging /Frost interior

Definitely not normal and you definitely have a water source leaking water into the cabin. It doesn't take a lot in those temps to create this type of issue. I can't tell you where to start looking, but the sunroof and its drains is often a good first stop. (For reference, family of four with...
  22. M

Information on the Explorer AWD system

No low range. It is a rear wheel drive system, that can send up to 50% of the power up front. Traction control is brake and throttle modulated. What the exact splits are on power distribution are not readily available, but you can bet it is one of the parameters adjusted with the different...
  23. M

Auto stop stopped stopping

Again, we can go around and around. I am aware of what the owners manual states, and I also know what the actual designers of the BMS system have stated. The 8 hour rest period does not "replace" the BMS reset. Will the BMS function without a reset - yes. It will not take advantage of...
  24. M

Auto stop stopped stopping

To muddy the waters, the BMS tracks the age of the battery. If you do not reset the BMS, it will continue to assume you have an aged battery and will not charge it as it would a new battery. The 8 hour sleep will reset another parameter, but not the age. This went around and around over on an...
  25. M

Transmission temp in 2020 Ford Explorer

That is not the normal engine temp. The logo is the same as the transmission temp logo in my F150 (F150's get the Oil Pressure/Engine Temp/Fuel/Transmission Temp). You won't get that in the XLT Explorers (and perhaps others - looks like there are three different guage setups for 21 Explorers)...
Back