Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. 2

Turn Ignition, just hear a CRACK

So it's been cold lately, and I had thought I ran out of gas, but it turns out something else is wrong. I turn the ignition and instead of hearing the engine start I just hear a loud single 'CRACK' and thats it. I've tried jumpstarting, adding fuel, I am at a loss. Anyone have any ideas on what...
  2. 2

Muffler Silencers?

Anyone used a muffler silencer? How do they work, what can I expect, and will it help with the overly loud nature of my muffler (Borla ProXS to Y pipe dual 4" tips)?
  3. 2

muffler recommendations?

Im currently running single-in single-out to the 40-series and then a Y split to dual 3" exhaust tips. The Flowmaster 40-series is THE hands-down absolute loudest muffler on the market that doesn't have an offroad-use only sticker. Go to Advance Auto Parts. They have a list of like 15...
  4. 2

muffler recommendations?

Also, I have heard that the DynoMax SuperTurbo has fiberglass dampening on the inside, which means that over time it will get much louder as it wears off?
  5. 2

muffler recommendations?

Is there a site that compares sound of mufflers in dB?
  6. 2

muffler recommendations?

Hi all, I currently have a Flowmaster 40-series hooked to dual exhaust pipes. This thing is LOUD. So loud in fact, that I have already gotten an illegal exhaust ticket. Basically, I want to change this to a muffler that will offer similar airflow (I am getting 2+ MPG extra) while being...
  7. 2

Painted exhaust pipes after muffler

So I noticed that my pipes from the muffler to the end tips weren't looking too good. I wanted to paint them so I used alloy wheel paint (rated to 500F). I have only driven the car 3-4 times a combined total of 30-40 miles and each time when I get out I notice a faint burning smell. Is this...
  8. 2

3M Scratch remover

The scratches cannot be grabbed with my fingernail, i think they are just in the clear coat. I tried it and it diminished them somewhat, is it safe to do multiple times? Doing it once, followed by 3 coats of Turtle Wax Ice and now you cant see the scratches without getting like 6 inches away...
  9. 2

2006 XLT - need to tune

Hi everyone, So I have a 2006 Explorer 4.0 SOHC V6 with custom bent dual exhaust, a flowmaster 40-series, and KKM intake. I get barely any MPG gains (perhaps even a loss of MPG) with this setup. Also, the throttle response sucks, it is like a half second before anything happens when I gas...
  10. 2

New System Installed, Rattle is INSANECRAZY

Ok, So I recently put a relatively awesome (i'll let y'all be the judges) system in my 2006 Explorer 4.0 V6 XLT. I have: A Pioneer AVH-P4000DVD double din headunit with USB and iPod connectors ran into the armrest Infinity Reference 6x8s in the front and back 8.5" Fold down LCD...
  11. 2

3M Scratch remover

Anyone ever used 3M Scratch remover? I've got a couple lines in my paint's clearcoat and I was hoping to just manually buff them out with this stuff? I think it is just buffing compound.... (Instructions say to use a quarter-sized amount on 2 sq foot area and buff until it gets hard, and then...
  12. 2

guide for shaving side emblems?

Anyone? I know a lot of people have done this? Just looking for some tips/advice...
  13. 2

Removing scratches from tail lights

Hi, I have a 2006 Explorer XLT and it has the factory tail lights. (The ones that seem to have a black film? around the actual lights) I want to remove these scratches, but I am not sure if it is safe to use the Quixx Acrylic and Plexiglass scratch remover on these? (The kit is polish...
  14. 2

Rear passenger side window won't go down

There are no sounds when I do that. Could it be a fuse for that door?
  15. 2

Replacing/Redoing seats to leather on XLT?

So I should've gotten an EB or Limited because I love leather seats. I have the XLT and the seats have a few burns in them and I'd like to somehow wrap them in leather (do they make leather seat covers for these?) or even replace them with real leather seats? Anyone done this or have any tips?
  16. 2

Rubber-based paint on hitch?

So I accidently backed into a rock (who the hell puts a rock in a parking lot?) and it nicked my back hitch port (stock) and rubbed the black rubber-like paint off. Within a week it rusted in the spot the paint rubbed off. What should I do to restore this?
  17. 2

cruise control with aftermarket exhaust

Hi all, I installed a flowmaster 40-series and custom bent dual exhaust pipes on my 2006 XLT 4.0 and it is LOUD. I have noticed that when I have cruise control on and I am going up a hill on the interstate it literally sounds like I am stepping on the gas and taking my foot off...
  18. 2

Rear passenger side window won't go down

Hi everyone, I noticed lately that the rear passenger side window won't go down. I have tried from both the driver side switch and the actual door's switch, still a no go. Anyone had this issue or heard of this issue and know of a fix? I don't think it is the motor.....
  19. 2

guide for shaving side emblems?

Hi everyone, I hate the stupid looking Explorer emblems on my doors and I want to shave them as many have done. I have heard you can use a blow drier and fishing line and googone to remove them. Is there a way to do this without heat safely? Can anyone post detailed instructions on how...
  20. 2

Should I Trade in My '06 Ex Limited???

I was under the impression that all 06 explorers had that hesitation when you hit the gas and the only way to fix it was with a custom tuned X-Cal II?
  21. 2

Air Intake Whistling noise

Warren Kurtz, founder of KKM, posts here (as KKM) and said in the thread that it was an issue with another part of the car being loose. It doesn't make the noise when I put it in park and rev it, but it makes it (mostly between 1000 and 2500rpm) when Im driving and accelerating.
  22. 2

I dont think that could be it. This is the 06 and it looks nothing like what was in that video. Also, the loud sound (a whistle, much like you try to suck in with your lips closed) didn't start until AFTER I installed the air intake. Anyone? I know many of you reported this same specific...
  23. 2

Hi, I have a 2006 XLT 4.0L v6 explorer that was stock, until I recently installed a custom dual exhaust on it (AMAZING sound), along with a KKM air intake. I have noticed that after the installation of the KKM intake, there is a whistling sound whenever I push on the accelerator. It...
  24. 2

Removing Roof Rack on 2006 XLT

Hi, I never use the roof rack and I think the explorer would look way better with out it. Is there a clean way to remove it? I noticed there are some plastic panels up there that would need to be snapped off, and it looks like there is some liner attached too? Is this difficult and...
Back