Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. C

94 Ranger brake line routing SOLVED

I’m still dealing with it. Previous owner replace rear line from ABS to rear axle but for whatever reason ran the line under the frame, right where it will get ripped off first time this truck hits deep snow or anything frame hight off road. Gotta run a new line up and over. But before I do that...
  2. C

Thanks. It helped a lot to see the part I was looking for. I knew there had to be ”T” connection somewhere on that line. The line was cut flush with the nut and inside the frame. Could not be seen and since it was rounded off it did not feel like a brake nut. Removed it with small pipe wrench...
  3. C

Thank you so much! I traced the metal line from the drivers wheel an found it went uninterrupted to the passenger side. I expected to find a ”T” connector on that line that went to the MC but didn’t. There should be two metal lines and hoses going to the drivers Caliper?
  4. C

Just picked up a 94 Ranger. The previous owner cut and folded over the brake line coming off the master (closest to the firewall). I don’t see the other cut end of this line. I’ve got new line and a flaring tool but don’t know where it goes. The line on the master that is intact goes to the...
  5. C

Transmission trouble after engine swap

thanks but it is not a fluid issue.. The issues was noticed when i first drove the Truck home after having the engine replaced. I checked the fluid that day and it was fine. I kept an eye on it and it never got dangerously low. I may have added 1qt in 4 months. I have replaced the valve...
  6. C

No codes, no stored codes, no advanced (manufacture codes), no ABS codes and all monitors have run and passed. The PCM is completely unaware of any issue. it took Phils 3 months to do the swap. When I brought it back for shifting issue it took 3 weeks for them to determine the fluid was a...
  7. C

Truck has about 130,000 miles. No CEL and Overdrive works fine. most garages wanted $3-4,000 to do the engine swap. I found 1 small shop called “Phill’s Garage” willing to do it for $2,000. So I did that. They got the job done but had to replace a brake line and The transmission dipstick tube...
  8. C

'99 XLS OHV, TCC code, found insanely destroyed 5r55e wiring harness

I have the same problem with deer up here. So I made mine battle ready. Light bar and bush guard
  9. C

I had the 4.0 sohc replaced on my 2000 xlt (5r55e) All I know of the donor vehicle is the millage. Since then, under heavy or full throttle the transmission won’t upshift. RPMs go as high as 6k without a shift. It seams to downshift ok (although it may go a gear lower then it needs) The...
  10. C

'99 XLS OHV, TCC code, found insanely destroyed 5r55e wiring harness

I can’t believe you picked that up for $400. The bush guard alone is worth a few hounded!
  11. C

Air bags or air shocks?

2000 Ex XLT. Rear suspension air mod: Is it better to install airbag kits (between leaf springs and frame) or replace OEM shocks with air shocks? I have shackle extenders and new leaf springs. It’s still sitting a a little low and I tow often.
  12. C

Transmission issues after engine swap.

I got a better chance to test it and I don’t believe the transmission is actually slipping. I think it downshifts too much and doesn’t upshift under heavy throttle. RPMs get up to 6k. Is it a simple cable the transmission uses to sense throttle position or is it controlled by the PCM? If the...
  13. C

Transmission issues after engine swap.

2000 Xlt 4.0 SOHC 5speed auto (5r55e I believe) Had a garage replace my engine and just got it back. Under full throttle it feels like transmission is slipping. Engine revs real high and there not that much pull. Seams to shift and engage ok under normal throttle. No transmission issues before...
  14. C

Replace engine or replace truck? SOLVED

As previously stated. I can not find a shop willing to do the timing chain. If replacing the timing chain was an option I would NOT be replacing the engine. The valves my be ok on my engine as the chain never came off. If it skipped a tooth or misaligned enough when the cassette was damaged...
  15. C

I have not found a shop willing to replace the timing chains (there is a large specialized jig required) or I would have had my engine fixed.
  16. C

Thanks all. I found another local shop (hidden in the bushes) that’s willing to do the swap for $1k labor plus cost of engine (estimated $1k). I can justify putting $2k into my $1500.00 rig (it worth more then that to me). Tow truck is on the way (& yes it too is a Ford, I checked)
  17. C

Transferring what I have into a V8 is not something I want to do. Let’s not forget the V8 explorers are AWD. Only the v6 came with 4wd. My truck does go off-road often. It’s seen more air time then the space shuttle. Its been on fire and underwater in the same day. (I dove it in a swamp to...
  18. C

It’s the drivetrain that scares me. Also it’s about 5 degrees (f) with 2.5 feet of snow and I don’t have a garage. :-(
  19. C

I would love to do the v8 swap but I don’t think it’s a realistic possibility.if I could get that done for under 4K I’d be all over it. The used motor replacement does come with parts & labor warranty. I will need to go talk to the shop in person and make sure before I tow it down there (if I...
  20. C

Yea I am surprised too. They are not exactly rare engines. 3 different shops all came back with the same 150k motor available. If I sourced one myself they would not warranty it. It took me a long time to find this truck. Did not want anything newer then 2nd gen as every subsequent generation...
  21. C

The stereo I’m particular proud of, very clean install. All connections soldered and heat shrink insulated. Bought a factory sub box, stuffed a Kicker R8” dvc in it with amp that just fits. Best of all the rear view camera now works as a fish finder in deeper water ;-)
  22. C

2000 Ex XLT 4.0 SOHC 120k Needs rear timing chain and probably a head replaced. Can’t find a local shop willing/able to do the work. Only replacement engine in area has 150k miles but would come with 3year warranty installed for $3,300.00. This far exceeds the book value on the truck however...
  23. C

Timing chain tensioner failed are the heads ok?

It was running with a rattle, then it lost almost all power. It still starts are runs but requires heavy throttle to keep running and barley moves under it’s own power. Definitely not smooth. I was kinda hoping that with the tensioner failed the cam rotated just enough to unsync the valves...
  24. C

Timing chain tensioner failed are the heads ok?

2000 Exploder XLT 4WD 4.0 SOHC. Rear (right) timing chain tensioner failed as well as the cassette (or whatever the tensioner pushes against). Turned the engine over by hand and the timing chain (visible through the tensioner hole) appears to still move with the crank. Does this mean that the...
  25. C

O/D off, 4Hi, 4Lo all flashing

I’ll run some rpm experiments with my Truck in hi low range with OD on and off tomorrow. I have a 2000 with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed. May not be the same but it should give us an idea. The shift motor should not effect the over drive. But I have seen some other things set it off like...
Back