Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Mbrooks420

AC line replacement

Well, when it rains it pours, I guess. My Mounty (1998 5.0) has an AC line that’s twisted up. Only thing I can think it that it was replaced by a garbage mechanic in the past. The line pictured needs replaced. Is this going to be something I can do myself? I have access to gauges and a...
  2. Mbrooks420

Oil accumulator

I was looking into options for a pre-Oiler for my Kia. It’s fairly new still, and is my first new car, so I’ve been doing all the appropriate maintenance stuff. Looking at pre-oilers I discovered accusatory systems. These use oil pressure and a check valve to fill with oil pressure when...
  3. Mbrooks420

Speedometer flaky 1998 5.0

I’ve noticed my speedo has been acting a little erratic lately. It’s had a little bit of a flutter to it, although it seems to shift fine, the odometer works as it should, and I’m not getting an ABS fault. I thought the VSS signal originated in the rear differential. I pulled the sensor off...
  4. Mbrooks420

98 5.0 RPM Surge while coasting

Like the title says, my Mounty will surge in RPM if I am coasting down a hill under no throttle. If I have my foot on the gas at all it doesn’t do it. Surges almost 1,000 RPMs at times. Otherwise it’s shifts well, and doesn’t miss. Transmission fluid color is good (about 40k on it though)...
  5. Mbrooks420

1998 5.0 front driveshaft hardware sizes needed

Well. After a solid launch I broke the CV on my front driveshaft. I am hours from home, and need to know what size Torx holds the front shaft on. I’m sure I can dig up the 8mm for the CV side in the Mounty somewhere, but I’m not sure I have any Torx bits that will be good enough to remove the...
  6. Mbrooks420

Ford Fusion idler pulley bolt breaking

Have a co-worker with a Fusion (2.3) that breaks the idler pulls bolt every few months. Looking online this seems to be a very common problem. There didn’t seem to be a definitive fix for it, so I figured I’d ask here. Tensioner is recent, and the belt tension seems reasonable. Any ideas?
  7. Mbrooks420

SVO Mustang....... daily driver?

I’m at the point where I’ve been driving 5.0 Mounties for about 15 years. (2, both identical except interior color, and built within weeks of each other) and have been thinking it’s time to buy an even more ridiculous car. I’ve been on the hunt for a few different cars, near the top of the...
  8. Mbrooks420

Fan clutch wobbles on water pump, 5.0

My Mounty started squeaking today. Looking it over, I noticed the fan is wobbling on the water pump. I’m assuming this means the bearing is shot, and the water pump would need replaced?
  9. Mbrooks420

Spare tire winch repurpose, ‘utility’ tray.

I’ve been planning to ditch my spare tire, I run 31s and it’s not really valid as a spare with the AWD. My original plan was to save my best 31 when I replace my tires, and make that fit. Lately, I’ve been thinking of making a tray to hold a few accessories, mainly a air compressor, small...
  10. Mbrooks420

What’s everyone’s favorite OLD SCHOOL audio gear?

I’ve always been a huge fan of old school audio, and the era of cheater amps. It seems like there was much more beef involved, and that the amps of old school outperform most of the modern amps, even at drastically higher power output. I’ve always loved the original Phoenix Gold, Orion, and...
  11. Mbrooks420

Ruined tire?

this morning I heard a whirring sound from the rear of my truck. Looked out the window, and the rear tire was almost dead flat. Was in the center lane with jersey walls, and no where to pull off. I drove about 3 blocks before being able to pull off and fill it. I’m assuming this tire is...
  12. Mbrooks420

Trouble removing the rear diff fill plug

My rear diff has a pinion seal leak, which I can't take care of right now, (temporarily without a garage) so I planned on checking and filling as necessary until I came get this done. Problem is, the fill plug is TIGHT. I'm afraid of stripping it out. I only had a 6 inch ratchet on it, but it...
  13. Mbrooks420

Output shaft seal leaking into transfer case

Was checking my axles this morning, and found two quarts of fluid I bought for my t case. I opened the fill port, and fluid came out. It'll probably be a week or two before I can get the seal swapped out, should I fully drain the t case, and refill to get the Mercon V out of there? On the...
  14. Mbrooks420

Rear hatch for a 2002 Sport

A coworker has a 2002 Sport. It's supposed to be pretty nice, and is rust free. He broke the hatch somehow to the point he needs a new one. (Not entirely sure what he did). He says he's looked for 2 years and can't find a hatch for it. Should these really be that hard to find? I did a...
  15. Mbrooks420

Is there a how to on v8 manifold replacement?

I have searched and didn't really come up with anything. This is so common I figured there would be one. My '98 has been leaking since I got it, and now my inspection guy won't pass it this time(along with a host of other ball-busting repairs) I have no desire to do this, since I am sure...
  16. Mbrooks420

Anyone have experience with Dean Wildcat tires?

I was wondering if anyone has used the Dean Wildcat Ext's? I normally run Dunlop Mud Rovers, and love them. I can't get them until between the 15th and the 28th. My inspection ran out last month. I need tires now. They look decent, and are comparable in price to the Mud Rovers. I have...
  17. Mbrooks420

1997 Ranger 2.3 won't turn over

I am working on a 97 ranger 2.3 for a wife's friend. Wouldn't turn over, battery showed 12.3 volts sitting. Solenoid on the starter just clicked. Checked the connections at the battery, the fender solenoid, and on the starter. All clean, all tight. Yanked the starter. The ground wire that...
  18. Mbrooks420

98 5.0 Slight miss at low RPM, started buckiing/stalling this morning

My 98 Mounty v8 has had a slight miss at low RPM's for some time. Never anything major, happened almost always right around 40mph at minimal throttle, right before it was time to downshift. A few moths ago it bucked like it wasn't getting either fuel or spark 3 times in a a 5 or so second...
  19. Mbrooks420

1996 Ranger Master Cylinder Fitting size?

I am replacing the brake lines on a 96 Ranger 2wd 2.3 and need to figure out the fitting size that is on the master cylinder. The chain auto store guy(my Mom and Pop guy was closed :( ) gave me a 1/4 to 3/16 adapter for this. Seems to me that this fitting is fairly loose in the master...
  20. Mbrooks420

SOHC broken timing chain questions, OHV swap reasonable?

My wife's uncle recently purchased a 97 sohc with 120k. He had a first gen he loved, and I told him he had to get the V8. Of course, he goes out and buys the second Ex he looks at. Its a SOHC, and of course has the death rattle. Don't know if the private owner had shown it warm, but it...
  21. Mbrooks420

V8 front driveshaft installation problems part

Is there a trick to putting the front driveshaft in a V8? I know there are 2 different lengths. I bought a crappy reman, and it failed. I'm almost positive the first shaft I purchased was the longer version. I returned it for another, and they gave me the short one. It was too short to fit...
  22. Mbrooks420

Help getting codes for an ODBI 1990 Lincoln

I need to retrieve the codes from a 1990 Lincoln Town Car. I have an OBDII scanner, but I assume it won't read them. I know on my old GM cars that had ODBI, you could put a jumper in 2 of the OBDI connectors and read the codes from the blinking Check Engine Light. Is there a way to do this on...
  23. Mbrooks420

Problems Replacing Front Driveshaft on 98 5.0

I have a 98 5.0 AWD that had a bad front driveshaft. I got a rebuilt unit from an auto store. I know there are 2 different lengths. I ordered the longer one and installed it. It lasted less than 2 months. It failed pulling a trailer 50 miles from home at about 10 pm. Not cool. So I go to...
  24. Mbrooks420

Front Driveshaft ?'s for a 98 5.0

Well guys, I need some help. :confused: I have a 98 V8 with a bad front drive shaft. It's the transfer case side that is worn out. Is the flange/cup that mounts to the t case a cv joint? Can that joint be easily replaced, or do I have to have a driveline shop rebuild the front shaft?
  25. Mbrooks420

Adding rear lift with air bags?

My Mounty is sagging in the rear. I have shackles, but my leaf pack is pretty flat. I'd like to add a bit of lift to the back for daily driving, but would like the option of lifting the rear quite a bit on demand. Probably an inch or so for daily driving, and 3-4" for short term. I'd...
Back