Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

Brake Wobbling Noise

Hello all, Perhaps some of the other '15 Sport owners out there have experienced what I currently am... When braking from 100MPH+ down to 60 or less I get a severe wobbling noise emitted from the front end. The noise seems to get worse as the brakes get hotter, and will stop if I let off...
  2. B

Lack of Low Gear in the Sport

When I traded in my 2002 explorer a locking diff on AWD systems or a real 4WD system was a must have. I guess I let that slip my mind in how bad I wanted this truck - hopefully it doesn't come back to bite me in the butt. I suppose my need for it has decreased over the years. Last time I...
  3. B

Door ajar warning issues

I remember this happening in the early to mid 2000 models as well. I would check the ground wire running into the door panel, sounds to me like a faulty ground somewhere.
  4. B

Lack of Low Gear in the Sport

Hello All, 2015 Explorer Sport set to be delivered early October, and I'm running through a check list of items in anticipation of receiving it. I remember in my 2002 Explorer you had the push button transfer case which allowed you to put the car in 4X4 LOW for heavy pulling. I used this...
  5. B

I'm BACK!!!!

Hello All, It's been a while since I've been on here - and I'm happy to announce that I'm back. I sold my 2002 Explorer XLT on a trade in for a Outlander Sport back in 2012 after blowing a cylinder. I could have done the repair work myself but at the time I had no time, and needed a car to...
  6. B

2002 Plastic Trim PLEASE HELP!!

Hello all, I decided to paint all the plastic trim\bumpers on m X since the sun has gotten the best of them and there pretty bleached. Anyway, i cant seem to figure out how to get these panels off, the clips on the inside are near impossible to undo and i can get them off without bending...
  7. B

2002 Ford Explorer 4X4 low won't engage

Yes, replaced the 4x4 control modual, ordered it from www.RockAuto.com not sure of the part number, but its located behind the glove box, bull the old one out to check. Simple to replace, just 2 bolts and plugging in harnesses, part cost somewhere between 150-200, cant remember now...
  8. B

Which Paint is best?

Thanks, i saw your thread on where you repainted your trim, it came out awesome looking. Did you use any finish on top of the paint? Thanks, Blake F
  9. B

Which Paint is best?

Hey all, Okay well I'm going to take off the plastic bumpers on my X and paint them since their always looking so faded. anyone have any experience with this, whats the best way to take them off? Whats the best paint/finish to use? Also where is a place to buy the clips that hold them on...
  10. B

Winch Project

Yes i know, however i drove myself right into a ditch that some kids dug out on the beach, whole front left tire was completely burred, along with the rear right flying in the air, broke the winch out, threw it on the back receiver, attached the cable to my friends F150 and worked like a charm.
  11. B

Winch Project

Okay well here's a little DIY for any of you out there that want a winch on ur explorer but don't know how to attach it! I contemplated many ideas and here's what i came up with. I bought a simple 6000Lb Winch, nothing crazy, just enough to pull a buddy out of some snow or sand or get...
  12. B

Post the pics of your wheels here!!! STREET TRUCKS!!!

GEOLANDER AT-S (255-65-16) On The Beach 8-)
  13. B

What did you pay for your rebuild?

Hello all, Well, 100,137 miles on my 2002 XLT 4.0L and I've decided i just don't have the time or the want to be doing a transmission rebuild in the middle of November. So I'm bringing it to a shop! :mad: Not wanting to get ripped off, what have all of you paid to get your 5R55W\S...
  14. B

5R55W Problems, looking for advice

Brook, Went to tighten the band again today, been a busy week, wouldn't torque at all, bolt almost went all the way into the case. Figuring a broken belt? I don't have the time to be pulling this tranny, so what do you think a fair price for a rebuild is? -Blake F
  15. B

04 Explorer Front Struts PLEASE HELP ASAP.....I'm stuck!!

Nope, I'm sure you turned the wheels a bunch while doing this while the wheels were lifted off the ground, which forces air into the power steering lines and gives you that shake, just drive the car around the block making lots of turns and itll smooth itself out, Glad I could help! -Blake
  16. B

Well Brooklyn I only tightened the band before I lost third gear, after it happened i just limped home, tightened it by hand a drop more (not torque, just a drop tighter) and then tried to drive it again and no third gear. And in response to the other post, yes i did tighten it and then back...
  17. B

Yes, tightened both, then went back and did the back one again after posting that, tightened it down, hopped in the car with my dad and took it for a spin, It drove PERFECT, i mean PERFECT not a sputter jump bump to it, decided to go a little further just to make sure and about a mile from my...
  18. B

Thanks, Went to tighten the bands today, now third gear wont catch and the O\D light is flashing, any ideas? Im starting to get tired of this :(
  19. B

Yea, I know about the servos in these cars and how their fixed, how hard do you think it will be to drop the transmission and bore them out? I don't have a lift, the best i could do to lift the truck real high is to put 4" blocks of wood under the rear and drive the front up on the ramps. Do...
  20. B

Yes, but make SURE you disconnect the sway bar, if you don't your just going to push and push and push and never get anywhere, just use a pry bar and push it down until you slip it in. Now, if it was my truck this is what i would do. (IF YOUR BOTTOM IS ALREADY IN THE HOLE ON THE CONTROL ARM...
  21. B

I'm Confident I've read every thread on this website pertaining to the 5R55W along with the PDFs posted and all the rebuild/shift/VB/solenoid threads. So here's my deal, any insight, opinions, or thoughts would be great. 101,000 miles, -around 100,500 i started having a serious 2-3...
  22. B

Okay... Okay here's the answer to any problems you may be having. 1. Did you disconnect the front sway bar from the control arms? You can get the old ones out without disconnecting those, but it'll stop you from putting the new ones in. Tricky, i know. 2. Is the bushing aligned with...
  23. B

Should I Change the Fluid\Filter? Bucking a lot

Hello everyone, My explorer had reached 98,000 Miles (2002 XLT) and its beginning to act like a bucking bronco. It seems that when i back out of my driveway and cut the wheel to start going stright in drive, it bucks, accelerates then stops and accelerates then stops very quickly and...
  24. B

Front Wheel Studs

Im having a nightmare right now. I snapped a wheel stud on the front right wheel, just broke off one day so i figured okay ill replace it. Well since then i've snapped 2! trying to replace them and i ruined another stud (dont ask me i how i dont want to talk about it lol) Anyway my...
  25. B

Tuging

I have this same problem, Off the line, especially going up hill, my explorer kinda sputters and it has a ruff idle when in gear. If im in park it dosnt, a friend says its a misfire but today i replaced all plugs and wires for the second time this year and the coil was replaced this year...
Back