Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

IntelliSens UVS3040 TPMS

Ehhh, I'm not entirely convinced yet, but possibly for future reference: I also had a noisy rear wheel bearing and replaced both sides (because...even the quiet one will be no prize at this point.) Anyway, I have not had a TPMS sensor error since, but it's still early. The bearing was noisy...
  2. R

IntelliSens UVS3040 TPMS

So my old tpms sensors were getting past their life and they were replaced with UVS3040 and programmed by a basically competent tire place. They seem to work ok, but not 100%. I get tire sensor faults, so looking for ideas. In one case, they tend to trip about 20 minutes into a regular trip...
  3. R

How To: Upgrade and Beef-up 5R55W/S Transmissions

Total damage: Converter ate itself, sent metal everywhere. New Torque converter New front planetary New OD planetary Complete rebuild kit (Bands and all) Shift kit Servo sleeve Farmed it out, but again, this thread was super handy for having an intelligent conversation with an above...
  4. R

full synthetic oil

At least on the 2013, the official line is depend on the Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor, which will tell you when to change it. Expected interval is upto 10,000 miles or 1 year. I think synthetic is spec for both turbo and non at this point, but haven’t read them closely (I know there was a...
  5. R

Well, its open and, metal bits...argh. Looks like it's getting everything (rebuild and shift kit) and probably converter if I don't see where the magical bits came from....in additional to the expected gasket and servo. Thanks for the thread, been a good guide so far.
  6. R

This just made my short list. 2-3 went away suddenly, so thinking the gasket blew out. If the valve body needs to be gone into (or worse), it'll do the Shift Correction as well.
  7. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

I'm still not completely unpacked from moving...one thing missing in action was my cord for the camera, argh. I took a ton less photos on the second part of the install, I had a lot to do, but here's the basic idea: Alpine PDX1.1000, Alpine PDX4.150 and Tsunami 40F Cap...lol Test...
  8. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

Yep, post #3 has a link to the pics (rips07.notlong.com)....which will be updated soon. FedEx is delivering a Tsunami 40F cap tomorrow and that'll be feeding Alpine Amps PDX1.1000 for an Boston Acoustics SPG555PS and a PDX4.150 feeding BA SL-80s (Turned down...kinda overkill but I have the amp...
  9. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

I don't see why not, so long as you have all the pieces. For the most part those things are made by someone else and just branded by the car manufacturer anyway. I don't know where they put the antenna on the stock install, but if you've looked at my install in the gallery, I just stuck my...
  10. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

Thanks, I'll look into that switch kit. Was thinking about it Sunday again as i want to intergrate the garage door opener some place out of sight, and using the logic outs on the head unit is too cumbersome (would have to wait for it to boot just to pull the car in at night for instance)...
  11. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

On the back burner because of the home purchase. I found a kit I really REALLY like and some LED replacements for the markers and brake lights....but like I said, on the back burner as cash is going ot be rationed carefully for a while. In short, it a real HI/LO HID with 2 capsules in...
  12. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

Sorry, Havn't been here in a while. Been busy with a place in escrow and getting ready to move (WooHoo, BIG GARAGE!) I doubt this will work, I'd guess it's software driven. You'd be better off using an outboard, standalone ATSC reciever and piping it in a regular AV input. I'd try to...
  13. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

I haven't updated this is a long while, heh... Yes, I've kicked this around some and have used a laptop with a tuner card and composite out. (Careful, one of my laptops have it's own composite out, I have yet to see a laptop USB tuner turn ATSC around out it's own composite connector...
  14. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

So, I have the PDX-4.150 on the way for the doors, PDX-1.1000 in the works. Working plan is use a tsunami cap since it has 1/0 ga in and 3 4ga out. i rther do that than a bunch of blocks and junk cluttering up the place and I can run 1/0 to the cap and 4ga to the 150 and 1000.... Anyone...
  15. R

98 eddie bauer HU question

If you have the HU out, snap some pictures. I did google a bit to see what's different. Everything changes years to year, so it's hard to know what's going on inside the dash....but one I found was double din but the tabs that hold the dash in actually intruded into the radio mounting area...
  16. R

98 eddie bauer HU question

You'll need a line output converter (LOC). I'd try a OEM-2 from PAC, found one here: http://www.installer.com/hilo/index.php Unless it's a 100% dropin install, Crutchfield will say it doesn't fit....I don't know the specifics of the HU you are looking at or what might be lurking in your...
  17. R

Subs break things...

When I said Cap head, I did mean Allens, lol...I used this kit, but like I said, I was able to slay a couple of the bolts, but it was a 1cuft sealed box at >1500 watts rms....violent is an apt description.
  18. R

Subs break things...

I had my Boston 12.5LFs tear the threads off some 1/4 inch cap head hexs in t-nuts on a sealed box, took forever trying to spin those and pull up at the same time to get them out.
  19. R

DIY Subwoofer Enclosure: Gen II STA

I think you are thinking of Google Sketchup sketchup.google.com
  20. R

speaker help

I prefer speakers with the crossover on board, just because running another set of wires to the door isn't my idea of fun (but really, it's not hard either, just rather use what's there)....you could also cheat and put the crossovers on doublesided tape in the door...there is a lot of room in...
  21. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

So I put it in Friday...bnut with fun, BBQ and life in general had not gotten to putting up the pics and narrative. Done now...still at rips07.notlong.com Hum, no major issues, and it's still new to me...I'm formulating in my head 101 ways to make the DNX8120 better, not that it's bad, but...
  22. R

Where's the warmth? Aftermarket vs Stock Audio

I think there are a lot of reasons, some already mentioned here, that destroy good sound, no matter how much money you throw at the systems. Obviously, you have to match components, and we all know they are not created equal. Listening to them at the shop is nearly useless in a sound room...
  23. R

2004 - Custom Box in Factory Location?

You could try something that likes a very small sealed enclosure, like a Boston Acoustics G3-10" (.5 cu ft) or G108 8" .3 cuft (or even two)....the 8" still has plenty to offer a regular vehicle. No, it won't set off alarms 9 blocks away, but plenty capable...
  24. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

I've started this and made a link to my personal gallery. First up: Soldering Scosche adapters to Boston SL80's and getting them in the doors. Not earth shattering, but hopefully useful to someone who's never done it before. I got the DNX8120 today, bench testing tomorrow, maybe...
  25. R

In Dash GPS Install/HIDs

In Dash GPS Install (DNX8120) +Speakers +Sub/HIDs Hey all... Recently join the forums, long time lurker though...as I've had several Explorers... I'm getting ready to put a complete system in my 2007 (1 year old, bought it new) and thought I should document it if there is any interest...
Back