Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

05 Ranger issue further explored; no power to the light at all

Hi! The dome light in my Ranger works intermittently. I noticed that the light sometimes showed dim. After I worked on it the power to the light went out totally. I tested it with a VOM. I may have shorted something or ripped the wire out of its misery. I'm going to rewire the light. I see...
  2. K

Does 2005 Ranger passenger door activate dome light

Hello I bought a 2005 Ranger and found out that the passenger door's opening will not turn on the dome light. Is that by design or is there a door switch that won't work.
  3. K

Putting split fit flange on exhaust manifold\exhaust pipe joint Ranger

My 96 Ranger 4.0 has an exhaust leak at the joint near the driver's manifold pipe. The bolts to the flange are going nowhere. I need to cut the bolts and go with a split flange to tighten the connection. Two questions: 1) is there such a thing as a gasket between the two flared ends? and 2)...
  4. K

After Seafoam in Throttle Body I hear the tapping

I sprayed Seafoam spray into the throttle body of my 4.0 OHV on the 96 Ranger. I revved the engine because I forgot there was a hole in the choke and had wedged the tube inside the TB. I powered it off, let the vehicle sit for 30 minutes then cranked it up. I heard the tapping. It sounded...
  5. K

Part came off rusty pipe underneath my 4.0 OHV 96 Ranger

I was changing my oil and saw a part dangling. The plastic sheath you see in the picture broke and there was a rusty pipe coming off the bottom passenger side of the 4.0 OHV. What the heck does it do? It must be some sort of sensor. Sorry if the pic doesn't show; I don't get to the forum that...
  6. K

Got a high-time 1996 Ranger; what do I need to do to it?

I have a 1996 Ranger 4.0 Extended Cab. It has a estimated 200,000 miles on it (estimated because the odometer died some time back). I acquired it three years ago and have been working on it since. I drive it once every week or two. I am happy with the truck and love the work I've done on...
  7. K

When opening door with key the horn sometimes blows

Hi My 1996 Ranger blows the horn when I open the door after unlocking it with a key. It happens on the passenger side but sometimes on the driver's side. The horn hushes once I put the key in the ignition and twist it. I have tried copious amounts of WD40 in the lock latch mechanism to no...
  8. K

Will band adjustment fix Ranger delay in reverse on 4R55E tranny

Hey there My 96 Ranger 4.0 with a 4R55E has a delay in engaging reverse. I have to let the thing sit in gear before letting the brake go. Will adjusting the bands with the screws on the side of the transmission help- even if the 4R55E has no adjustment for the low/reverse band? Praying it's...
  9. K

Unlocking and opening passenger door blows horn

The horn blows when I unlock and open the passenger door when I go to get something from the passenger's side of the door. How do I get this not to happen?
  10. K

Change Wires even Without Codes to fix rough idle

I heard from someone that I should change my wires to alleviate an issue with rough running on my 96 XLT. I haven't had any codes thrown. Will bad wires cause my issues no matter what the codes say? Thanks KT
  11. K

96 Ranger 4.0 is Waltzing Matilda on steering

Hi My 96 ranger has to have frequent correction of steering. I will turn the wheel left, for instance, and will travel straight until I need to turn it right. It seems as if the steering is hypersensitive. I wonder if something has a mind of its own. To fix this I did a change-out of the...
  12. K

Name of gasket to fix pre-front Cat Converter

Hi I just got a 96 Ranger XLT 4.0L and it has an exhaust leak. The seal appears to be gone at the junction between the pipe coming off the Y and the front cat converter. What is the name and is it the donut or bolt-ear gasket? Thanks KT
  13. K

Shudder and Shutoff

Hi! My 2000 Explorer v6 OHV has been giving the shudders and eventually shuts down esp. when idling in drive. It happens especially after I drive it for 30 or so minutes then leave it off for hours, then cranking it up. There is rough running then spurts of excessive rough running of the...
  14. K

Engine rattle esp under passenger side engine

Hi! I have a 2000 Explorer XLS OHC engine which has rattled since I've had it (bought it used). The rattle does not go away with acceleration or continued operation. It sounds similar to a diesel or a valve tap. I hear the noise particularly under the driver's side of the engine. Could it be...
  15. K

Loose hose w vacuum- PCV?

Howdy I did my own spark plug and wire replacement on a 2000 Explorer V6 OHC on the driver side. I went to start it and couldn't. A whole day and I found wires ripped (fixed big yellow not the others) and it starts. The engine idles roughly and I found a loose 3/8 in hose w barb on it. I put...
Back