Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. turboexplorer

How can I disable auto lock on 1996 5.0L XLT?

My 2nd, 2nd Explorer is the 96'. It auto locks every time it moves forward or reverse. Can't find anything in my 98's manual about it and it does not have that "feature". Any chance anyone knows how to disable it? Quick search didn't find anything.
  2. turboexplorer

How to: Winch Install on a 2nd Gen - Factory Bumper

So this weekend I started on the winch mount. I am super happy with the results so far, but it has also taken a bit more effort than I originally thought as the winch is very tight in there but is a perfect placement. :thumbsup: Front bumper removed. Got bumper set aside and winch out...
  3. turboexplorer

Anyone interested in a St. George Utah wheeling trip?

Trying to see if there is anyone interested in a St. George wheeling trip? St. George is a Beautiful place in southern Utah on the South West corner. Its right off I-15. St. George There is anything from Mild to Wild. Anything anyone owns we can find an awesome wheeling day for you. We run my...
  4. turboexplorer

Completed Project Turboexplorer's Full Width SAS Build Thread

Hello everybody! It's time to start the SAS on my Explorer. It will be an awesome project and the first project of this type and size that I have ever undertaken. Up to this point the sliders where the hardest thing that I have made myself. I am open to any suggestions and or insights from...
  5. turboexplorer

Speedometer correction with speed sensor in the differential?

One of the last things that I can't figure out or find any information on is how to correct my speedometer when the SAS is completed. I have a 98' so the speed sensor is in the rear diff. I have talked to James here on the forum about him doing it through a tune or through SCT programers etc. He...
  6. turboexplorer

For Sale Turboexplorer 98' XLT V8. Selling EBC brakes, Timken Bearings, all IFS parts.

I am selling all my IFS parts making way for the big SAS! I have most of the IFS taken out of the truck. Everything is for sale if anyone can use some of the parts to better their rig. I'll post some pictures of all the parts. Main parts that I hope someone can use is the EBC brake rotors and...
  7. turboexplorer

Ford 8.8 Rear, 5.13's

I got my gears today:) A question I have about the 8.8 5.13 gear. Is it better to grind some of the teeth off some to get the pinion shaft to go in or are you better off using the notched pinion shaft? I have seen where others on different axles have taken a little of the teeth off of the ring...
  8. turboexplorer

CV for a 4406 T-Case

I am almost done with everything getting it all ready for the SAS build in March. I really want to run a CV rear shaft but I can't find anywhere or anybody that has or can get a CV style slip yoke for the 28 spline T-Case. I think I remember in doing my research for the 4406 swap that some of...
  9. turboexplorer

Link Ends

So I have been looking very hard and doing my research for some link ends for my truck. I am building rubicon express style arms for mine. Just like DB_1 runs. And this is the product I have come up with and really really like. I called and talked to Medal Cloak for almost 20 minutes and really...
  10. turboexplorer

Detroit Locker

Anyone running a Detroit in their 8.8? I am consideing it, but since I have $400 per tire of tires on the rig I really dont want to scrub them off. My other option is the powertraxx No-Slip which sounds nicer on the tires but heard about possible strength issues.
  11. turboexplorer

Oil Filter Relocation Kit Brands?

I need to remote mount my Oil filter in my 98' 5.0L Explorer in order to fit my steering box in. Does anyone have a brand that they really like or trust? Any they would for sure stay away from?
  12. turboexplorer

SAS link ends

What are everyones experiences and preferences on link ends? From heims to johnny joints to creaper joints. I am thinking of running rubber bushings on the axle ends of my Y-Link (glorified radius arms) and not sure what size to use, as well as which styleI of flexy joint end that will mount to...
  13. turboexplorer

Steering - 1 ton GM tre's v.s. Heims

I have seen people use the GM 1 ton tre's and others use the Heims. What are peoples experiences with either set up? Is there advantages either way? I am looking at what set up to run on my soon to be SAS swap.
  14. turboexplorer

Super Swamper SS M-16

Anyone running the Super Swamper M-16's? They have fantastic reviews and I have a good friend with a 09' JK and he has run them and swears he will never buy another tire. Ive wheeled with him and they perform beautifully! Quite on the freeway as well. He has 27K on them and it has another 10-15K...
  15. turboexplorer

T-Case replacement

I pulled a 3rd Gen T-Case today out of a 4.6L Explorer. Was easy and went well. Will put in the new case tomorrow. I found the T-Case had been run dry. The case was cracked where someone overtightened the drain plug. They tried to rtv it but to no avail of course. On the scan tool in the 4WD...
  16. turboexplorer

97-07 Ford full width 8.8

So I am starting my SAS in Febuary and have most of my list done. My thoughts on a rear axle involves narrowing a full width 8.8. I have access to a complete axle shortening/setup jig. My thoughts are to take a full width 97+ full width because they run disc brakes and shorten the axle a few...
  17. turboexplorer

6V LED Question, (tail lights on F-100)

I have a buddy that has this F-100. We are trying to get these tail lights he has to work. They are a 6V system and he uses a voltage clipper to cut it down from the 12V to 6V. Question is that when brake is applied a full 6V is give to the LED's and they work fine. Well it has you using the...
  18. turboexplorer

Good CB radio

Does anyone have a good CB radio they like. I am looking for one just for wheeling so doesn't need to be super strong. It goes without saying I'm looking for a cheap one that people have had good luck with.
  19. turboexplorer

Eaton E-Locker

Is anyone on the forum running an Eaton E Locker? Heard great things about it. Would love to have the benefit of an selectable locker and it priced less than the ARB stuff as well. Locker itself is cheaper and also don't have to buy a compressor to make it work either. Your thoughts?
  20. turboexplorer

Powertraxx No-Slip Locker

I have heard great things about the Powertraxx no-slip locker. It is supposed to be smooth, like a LSD, and also obviously lock as well. No chattering or ratcheting sounds or clunking or banging. I have a buddy that has 4,500 miles on his in his JK that has 5.13's and 37's. And he doesn't drive...
  21. turboexplorer

Crazy boat

This isn't a whoops per say but it very easily could have been. Didn't know where else to post it though. This video is insane. I want to ride in this boat and be white knuckled the whole way!!! It takes about 1 minute before he starts his run so watch the whole vid.
  22. turboexplorer

Coldest Start up this year

Who has the coldest start up this year? Last week I had a -37 start up! It started right up but you could definitely tell it took all it had to turn the engine over. Both my 98' 5.0L and my wife's Taurus started right up.
  23. turboexplorer

91 explorer part out

My neighbor is selling his explorer for cheap! If i got enough interest in parting it out i will buy it and sell every thing for cheap! Its white with red interior, he says it runs and has 200k on it, and is clean other than the aged paint on the hood! Let me know!
  24. turboexplorer

Best winch for the money

I am looking for a winch. Probably in the 8,000lb range. Plenty for snow and the rock wheelin I do. There are smittybuilt ones in the 3-5 hundred dollar range. Some with wire cheaper but heavy. Or synthetic line. Post your opinions! Thanks. Update: Baddecision93 posted a GREAT link for winch's...
  25. turboexplorer

Rebuilt 91' OHV 4.0L, valve noise

I know the 4.0L OHV is always kinda noisy in the valvetrain, it has run enough to warm up and the lifts/rockers are still making noise. How long does it take for them to quiet down to the normal sound? I was thinking 2-3 min but maybe it will take more than that?
Back