Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

93 exlplorer wont start at random times??

Another vote for the pump and or pump relay. Mine went not too long ago, exact same symptoms as yours. I just replaced the pump and relay to be sure my wife wouldn't get stuck anywhere too ugly.
  2. B

Going insane! WARN manual hubs.

TNR: It isn't unheard of to have a hub go bad after the first or second use. When I converted to manual hubs my drivers side went bad on the third useage. Got new ones under warranty and all has been well since. Good luck.
  3. B

Towing in overdrive with automatic (I searched)

I've always just left my trans in OD and let it do whatever it feels it needs too. I've never had a situation where it is "gear hunting". This said, the biggest thing I tow with it is a 14' Lund and the boat/motor/trailer combo weighs about 1250lbs when fully loaded. Not much considering this...
  4. B

a4ld flares into neutral erratically, '91 Expl 4X4 hi miles

Yes, as you describe it in your last post it does sound like low fluid/pressure as opposed to anything else.
  5. B

T-boned last night, few questions..

Just looked at the pics, definately totalled. Take the money and run. I have no idea what "blue book" is as we don't have a body shop or do sales at work.
  6. B

hub dilemma

My Ex was the first 4x4 I've owned with automatic hubs. I've owned tons of 4x4's since my first F250 in '75. As the Ex was an automatic, mainly for my wife, it naturally came with pushbutton 4x4 and automatic hubs. This was also my first pushbutton/electronic 4x4. Even my '03 F350 is manual...
  7. B

What t-case will work with C4 trans?

If the C4 is from a 2WD you won't be able to hook it up to the bolt on transfer case "as is". In the older F series pickups they ran a C4 with a remote New Process Transfer case (235 I believe). This required an intermediate shaft from the trans to the T case. The ones I'm referring to...
  8. B

1992 Explorer Won't Shift Into Overdrive

Very true. I personally would check for a code first only because it is quicker and easier if one has a scanner available. Without one I would simply look for a loose wiring connection then go about pulling the solenoid, cleaning and bench testing.
  9. B

True it isn't likely enough to alter a shift. However, and according to the shop we send all our transmissions to, it can cause if extremely worn, the transmission not to be fully engaged in the location noted on the shifter. As in your lever is locked in "O" (overdrive) yet your...
  10. B

1992 Explorer Won't Shift Into Overdrive

Yes, check the solenoid. If you have a scanner check for a solenoid code.
  11. B

On any of the rebuilds was the shifter arm that runs through the trans housing trued up by putting a bushing in the hole? The wear at this location can cause the arm to move around and when you put it in gear you don't really get it in gear as some of the linkage movement is lost in the...
  12. B

4 wheel drive problem

Sounds like a bad auto hub to me as well. I've replaced mine with manuals after the autos started acting up a lot.
  13. B

no 4x4, not motor

4lo click and it engages or just clicks? If it engages, check the wiring in the dash behind the switches and see if something has come off the 4hi or if the 4hi switch itself has gone bad.
  14. B

4 wheel drive scares me, HELP!!!!

Hmmm, Bumps and Turns, could be ball joints too. Extra stresses on the front end when in 4x4.
  15. B

4 wheel drive scares me, HELP!!!!

If you are on slippery surfaces and it's giving you these symptoms, and you have auto hubs, that is likely your problem.
  16. B

31 tt no shackles?

Post a pic for us here when you get them. I would like to see them. I'm a bit reluctant to try the 31x10.5's on my '94, as I do go in the bush a fair bit, fishing and the like, through washouts and full suspension travel. The suspension is original and height may not be what it should. For...
  17. B

Air Flow Sensor Problems

Yes, try cleaning it first. I've cleaned many MAFs over the years on a variety of vehicles and most often it has solved the issue. The one in my Ex I did over a year ago and it is running 100%.
  18. B

tire choices

Congratulations on hijacking your own thread! Yes, I mean a front and rear class V hitch style of reciever. That way when one is not using the winch it's not there. Also gives you the advantage of being able to move boat/util trailers around in tight places when hooked to the front end.
  19. B

Trans Flush??

Both were done at tranmission shops, different ones. They had the vehicles for the day and did the flush. No mention of how much fluid was flushed through. No mention of how long it was on the machine recirculating fluid through a filter. No "bring it back in a week to do it again". No...
  20. B

tire choices

Sounds good. I'm stock too. Figuring on leaving it that way for now as my wife uses it as a daily runner. Probably will go to the 30x9.50x15 Roughrider M&S on it as they will fit stock without any possibilities of rubbing even when heading into the bush. Also they will fit nicely under...
  21. B

Trans Flush??

As I say, my experience has been that the two times I've had flushes I've had failures following. Why? I'm not an automatic transmission expert so I don't know why. I've been turning wrenches for 30 years, but don't touch automatics myself. Both of the failures have been seal...
  22. B

Trans Flush??

Well, I'm not a big fan of trans flushes. I do the regular maintainance of changing fluid and filter as per spec. The only two times I've ever had a trans "flush" done the tranmission has failed within 25,000 kilometers thereafter. One, the most recent, was my Ex which was flushed at...
  23. B

tire choices

Sorry, don't know of anyone with any 15x8's for sale here in town. Most of my "Ford" parts are for F-250 and above. Springtime, there is some good fishing to be had over here, both lake and fly. Do you have a lift on your truck?
  24. B

tire choices

http://www.bigobc.com/otruck.html See the BigFoot XT at the above link and you will see the tire I'm talking about.
  25. B

tire choices

It would appear that Big O has changed the tread on the BigFoot. The one's I saw a year ago were the identical pattern to the RoughRider M+S. Having used BFG on my Landcruiser I would not go back to them for around here. Though I must admit I do a fair bit of gravel road/mud driving hunting...
Back