Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

1997 ford Explorer Trouble with 4 wheel drive

The high low shift motor is a separate motor to change the transfer case gear ratio. That motor has nothing to do with locking in the front output shaft that runs the four wheel drive. The electro-magnet in the tranfer case is what does that. When you supply 12 volts DC think about a scrap yard...
  2. B

1997 ford Explorer Trouble with 4 wheel drive

the Brown wire going into the tranfer case is hooked up to the electromagnetic clutch which controls the front drive shaft. The wire get a pulse voltage to it all the time on these control trac systems. In normal auto mode the ratio is about 20% front drive shaft 80% rear. The two hall sensors...
  3. B

New Key with VIN number

yeah man on getting a third key made while you have 2! then you can program the duplicate yourself. My 2001 150 Truck only has one and they want 135.00 at the dealerships for the reprograming fee. It cost 130.00 for them to even look at your vehicle for normal repairs (Ford Diagnostic...
  4. B

New Key with VIN number

The way I understand it is the 1997 was the last year that explorer did not use the Pats key system. You received a code tag with the original sets of keys. The dealer or locksmiths could enter the code into the key cutter and give you a new key. In 1998 the Pats system was used with the chip...
  5. B

need wiring diagram for 2000 X

2000 StreetRod Thanks a lot for the 96 zip file. If anyone needs any of the 2001-2003 diagrams let me know and I'll scan what they need.
  6. B

need wiring diagram for 2000 X

How much different are the schematics on the 98-2000 compared to the 95-97? I have the complete ford service manual cd for 2001-2003 fords that I purchased on ebay for 10 bucks, but it is based on using the ford analyzers for testing. It has great wiring diagrams and all the mechanical...
  7. B

97 4.0 explorer autoscan tool doesn't read MPH in live mode

Bought this thing cheap for my son to get around in. It's a 97 4 door explorer 4x4 4.0L auto, xlt that had no mil light installed? and has failed inspection. Pulled the cluster and replaced bulb. Cleared codes and light went out. Now everything is good and all Monitors are ready except the...
  8. B

Airbag light

You know what,, I had a problem with a bad passenger side dash air bag and was getting the error code and couldn't go through inspection. I unplugged the airbag connector and put a 2 ohm 1/4 watt resistor which is like 15 cents in the two prong connector going towards the computer, reinstalled...
  9. B

98 SOHC runs for 3 sec. and dies. OBD codes included.

if it's not the fuel pump/fuel restriction normally vacuum leaks or a bad maf sensor could shoot those codes If the vehicle has anti thief there is also a relay that supplies the voltage to the fuel pump if you don't have voltage but the fuses are good. Just for the heck of it, disconnect...
  10. B

Elec 4x4 prob.

sounds like the motor is on it's way out. brushes or bushings in the motor can cause dead spots. I think they have the motor rebuild sticky up there if it does it again
  11. B

4wd in a 97 sport wont work

from listening to your symptoms i'd say you have no voltage going to that brown wire or the gem ground is faulty. A bad fuse, gem, wiring, front, or rear driveshaft sensors, ecm, could all effect this problem the way it seems on these 97's is that in order to have the variable...
Back