Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

4.6L Coolant loss and Head Gasket Questions

I don't think it is anything from the intake because I did that last year and haven't had any drips since then until it overheated recently. I think I am going to pull it apart this weekend and do the head gaskets. I found one thread where the user pulled his engine to do his head gaskets. That...
  2. S

Well I was finally able to put the replacement cap on, same method as the above link. That worked perfect for the flood gates, which is good news. However it still has a steady drip. It is coming out somewhere near the front which I can't pinpoint, and becomes visible at the bottom front centre...
  3. S

Huge thanks guys. I will be checking for that cap at the back tonight. It sounds like it could very well be that as the outside of the motor was soaked of coolant coming from that general area including a white smoke from hitting the exhaust manifolds. It went into reduced power mode as...
  4. S

Thanks for the replies guys. I haven't checked the back of the intake too in-depth I will definitely take a look at that. That would be amazing if that was the main cause of coolant loss. Assuming it was back to being the head gasket, would running the entire cooling system dry in 5 minutes be...
  5. S

Hey guys, last summer my truck had the OEM plastic intake crack and I lost all the coolant and overheated the motor. I replaced it with a Dorman replacement but what I didn't know at the time was that anytime you overheat your motor there is a good chance you have blown your head gasket. Without...
  6. S

Head and tail lights flashing, truck off

Well knock on wood I haven't had the lights flashings again yet. Still curious if anyone else has had this though?
  7. S

I believe I tried the remote last night and nothing happened. If it happens again I will check that. I connected the battery this morning and there was no flashing lights and it started up no problems. The new battery is the same group 65 size just a bit more juice with 850 CCA I can't see that...
  8. S

I searched for this but couldn't find anything on it. 2003 4.6L Limited. Truck has been sitting recently as I picked up a mustang to play with. Because it was sitting my battery was being drained by the factory alarm (old battery). Put a new battery in it and the 4x4 high started blinking...
  9. S

leak in drain line for sunroof

Ok nevermind I found them. I thought those were wire looms because of the ribbed tubing. My bad
  10. S

leak in drain line for sunroof

Hey guys, I pulled the headliner down and found that my passenger side tube was clogged. Sprayed it out with air and added gasket goo and reinstalled. Did the same to drivers side which wasn't clogged but wanted to be safe. Problem is, I can't find any tubes at the rear. I see a square hole in...
  11. S

How I changed my 05's Front Wheel Bearing

Does anyone know if the 19mm bolt heads would work? As someone posted earlier I can only find the 19mm ones from local suppliers as opposed to the 15mm ones that are factory (wrench head size). I would like to have replacements on hand in case the old bolts don't come out very nicely. My...
  12. S

Does the Dorman intake fit the 2003's?

^thanks man. I read that thread earlier in my searching but didn't notice the OP had an 04 I only noticed the other people posting that had 02s. Much appreciated :)
  13. S

My reasoning for changing it is because it is leaking more than it would if it was just the gaskets. Joe, when you say yes are you talking about the dorman or the mustang?
  14. S

According to their website it doesn't, according to their "tech" guy I spoke to on the phone it doesn't, but while researching the swap further on this site it is being advertised as if it will so I'm not sure. A few people with 03-05s mentioned they were going to go this route but I never read...
  15. S

Best place to get oem intake manifold gaskets?

Thanks for the replies guys. What is the general opinion on the Dorman? When I was reading some of the older threads (2010) most people were saying to spend the extra and go oem as the dorman wasn't a direct fit and had to be modified , they also said the quality was lower than oem. Has opinions...
  16. S

Best place to get oem intake manifold gaskets?

Hey guys my truck (4.6L) started leaking coolant from below the thermostat housing. I read most of the threads on here about this and called my local dealership and they wanted $75 per side for the intake manifold gaskets. One of the threads on here someone mentioned Tousley Ford which I believe...
  17. S

Cleaned IAC, now it "foghorns"

My IAC doesn't have a gasket so I'm not sure if this will help. It is worth a try though I suppose. It is weird because it is only wanting to stall forthe first 10 seconds now, after that it runs fine. Not sure if it's when it kicks into closed loop or just has to idle for a tiny bit. I am...
  18. S

This is what I am thinking. The idle wasn't too bad just dropped occasionally at red lights. I should have left well enough alone, ford quoted me 220, the parts store was 200. Is there somewhere online you guys have used that is any cheaper? Thanks guys
  19. S

Before I cleaned the IAC I was reading some threads that if it is "foghorning" then cleaning it would remedy this. Mine never made any noise before I cleaned it, now it whistles non stop. Is there anything I can do to stop this or do I need to replace it? I'm cleaning it up to sell it so hoping...
  20. S

Quick question about V8 throttle lag

I was thinking of trying the dealerships around here that's a good idea I am just short on time. I will shoot Henson an email. I had an 06 v6 courtesy car explorer a while back an it was horrible I couldn't stand the throttle lag. If it's anywhere near as bad I will be coming home empty handed...
  21. S

Quick question about V8 throttle lag

Hey guys, I have been searching the forums lately reading different reports on the infamous throttle lag and a few people are saying it only occurs in the v6 models. I had purposely been looking for an 03 because of the thottle lag but I am also looking for a v8. I WOULD keep searching more but...
  22. S

In the market: 02 vs 03 vs 04 vs 05?

Hey guys, I'm in the market to upgrade my 97 explorer to an 02-05 limited. Just wondering what the differences are between the years so I know which one I should buy. I was reading in one of the supercharger threads that in 04 they switched to drive by wire throttle bodies so there isn't any...
  23. S

Cant Find trailer plug

just ran outside quickly, didnt spend much time but no connection on pass side on my 97 without tow paackage, any thoughts?
  24. S

Cant Find trailer plug

wouldnt you want to hook it to the passenger side, as per the diagram posted at the top? I bought a connector yesterday, oem ford part to connect a trailer. On the diagram it came with it said to plug into drivers side, which i did. The only thing coming out of the drivers side was the lights...
Back