Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. R

A/C compressor wont run at all. Any ideas?

The compressor doesnt engage at all, or even sound like it is trying to. And it never made a sound last summer, so I have no reason to believe that the bearings are bad. Never saw any leaks or signs of leakage. But if the compressor wont engage due to the freon pressure being too low, that would...
  2. R

A/C compressor wont run at all. Any ideas?

So I go to turn on the air conditioning for the first time this year the other day and I got nothing. The air isnt cold at all. The blower and heat work just fine but no air conditioning at all. I push the knob in for the AC and the little light comes on as it should but no cold air comes out...
  3. R

A wicked shimmy, I need suggestions

I will take a look at the bushings and look over the front end again. A few weeks ago I greased all the bushings and pushed and pulled on the idler arm and linkage and everything seemed to be tight. Is there any specific test I can perform on the bushings? Also how hard is it to replace the...
  4. R

Also, is that bushing typical to fail on these vehicles? That seems like a bushing that should be good for a long time.
  5. R

No not any large clunks. Should I just look for physical wear when looking at the bushings?
  6. R

My explorer is getting a case of the shakes and Im not sure what I should do to fix it. The shake it from left to right and real fast, it only happens at highway speeds, and when I hit a bump. If im on a real smooth highway I have no problems, but as soon as a bump comes and she shakes a...
  7. R

Engine running cold

Im still pretty new with explorers, the thermostat is right on the front of the motor right?
  8. R

Engine running cold

My engine seems to always be running really cold. So much that I though the coolant temp sensor was broken. I replaced the sensor and I had to let it run for a good 20 minutes before I saw the needle move at all. When the truck is moving the gauge still shows that the engine is almost...
  9. R

Help me fix my drum brakes please

Well, with a new ebrake cable on the driver's side she's driving like she should now. No more loud clunks, no more resistance, all is well! Thanks for all your help.
  10. R

Well turns, out the the dirver's side parking brake cable was the cause of the problem. It wasnt allowing the shoes to retract all the way. Enough that I could get the drum off but not enough to keep the shoe from binding up. I replaced the cable and all the springs, I will be putting the...
  11. R

We shall see how it goes. Thanks for all your help guys
  12. R

tranny/differential/transfer case maintenance

It is an automatic, sorry I forgot to mention that.
  13. R

Are there any sticky threads that have pictures of going through drum brake repairs? I havent been able to find one so far.
  14. R

Ya that was my thought as well. I just have herd people having similar problems with the e-brake not fully releasing as the cause of the problem. But Ill see what happens after new springs and everything. Thanks for your help
  15. R

Alright, I will replace the springs and the adjuster then. Is there any chance that the e-brake cable is the problem?
  16. R

I assume the kit would contain all the springs, new adjuster, etc? And can this be purchased at the normal auto parts store?
  17. R

tranny/differential/transfer case maintenance

Hey guys Im not sure if this is common in Explorers or not but when I put the tranny into gear it really sounds rough, with a large clunk. Its not smooth at all. Will a simple filter and fluid change take care of this? Or do I need to have the tranny tuned up? If so how much do those...
  18. R

Alright, so what I thought was the driver's side hub making a large clunk after rolling forward for a bit is actually the rear drum brake on the driver's side. I roll forward and I hear a large clunk and then there is a noticeable resistance. If I put it in reverse the resistance is gone...
  19. R

Seafoam in crankcase

Just reading through all your posts and I am thinking about doing the same to my explorer, what is the difference between adding this sea foam to the crankcase and adding to the oil?
  20. R

'94 Ford Explorer 4 x 4 Inner Hub Replacement

I know this thread is getting pretty old now but jasonk2700 did you ever find the problem? Sounds like the differential or transfer case is the issue. It obviously inst a problem with the ebrake if the brake drums aren't attached.
  21. R

Another auto hub question, a real brain buster, please help out the new guy

I didnt think there was a problem with leaving them locked. How else did 4x4's get it done in the past ya know?
  22. R

Also with manual hubs can you leave them locked all the time and then just push the 4x4 button on the dash to make it work? Or will that be too much wear and tear on the transfer case and the hubs themselves?
  23. R

Well things seem to have taken a turn for the worse! I drove the truck about 50 miles today and about half way through I started to notice a noise coming from the same hub on the driver's side. By the time I got home it was making a really bad grinding noise sounding like some splines were...
  24. R

Yes the one hub that is having the issue was having the problem before and after I put the washer in.
  25. R

did you replace them with brand new hubs, if so where did you get them? Or used?
Back