Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. H

M5OD Swap or Stick with A4LD?

My 1993 xlt has the A4LD transmission and I've just put my 4th flex plate in it. After the first start up, everything is normal except for the puddle of ATF that was accumulating underneath. It turns out at the torque converter seal has also blown out. So after much frustration, and...
  2. H

Vinyl Hatch Glass

Does anybody know where the best place to find a vinyl replacement for the hatch glass? I've seen the one on the pumpkin, but I can't find a website or anywhere else to find these.
  3. H

Ex on craigslist

I just found this on craigslist. It would make an awesome build for somebody. http://wilmington.craigslist.org/cto/3031661159.html
  4. H

New Flywheel But...

I installed a new flywheel after my old one broke, but when I started it up, it makes a grinding/scraping/terrible sound from the flywheel/torque converter. I can't really isolate what the issue is. Does anybody have any clues what it could be?
  5. H

1993 Flexplate

I've put in two flexplates (flywheels) in my truck, and I'm starting to think that the one I have in there now is on its way out. I have this feeling because it makes a terrible sound when I go to start it. Instead of a smooth start, it clunks, and grinds, and sounds terrible when I start it. I...
  6. H

Knocking, Clunking, Popping, Snapping Sound...

For a long time now, my truck has been making this popping sound. It only occurs when I turn the steering wheel, go over speed bumps, or switch from drive to reverse. Its coming from the front end, and its an alarming sound. I can feel it pop in the steering wheel a little, but the steering...
  7. H

Green Beast

Ok so this is how things started... Way back in 2008... I was originally supposed to get my dads 1999 f150 Lariat 4wd, with everything I ever wanted in a pickup truck. But he traded it in and got his 2008 F150 Lariat 4wd. So I was left with one option. Fix the old Explorer in the yard. She...
  8. H

Rainy issues...

Does anybody else have stupid issues when it rains? For example, when the weather takes a dump, something under my hood chirps like nobody's business. Its so annoying. And when it rains, my brakes are extremely sensitive. And they squeal like a dying animal. The brakes usually get better after...
  9. H

Will it fit?

My answer is yes. Today at the junkyard, I spotted a bronco ii with the tire carrier on the back. As discussed in this forum, it is possible to mount them on the explorer, but at a cost. They have to be modified quite a bit. Long story short, I picked it. Cut the mounting brackets a little, and...
  10. H

Dupli-Color Paint Job - How To Thread

If you've seen pictures of my X before you'd know that the paint is questionable in some areas. It was fading and ugly and uneven. Most of this was occuring on the hood of the truck. After many hours of research and weighing pros and cons I finally made an executive decision. I chose an...
  11. H

Treadwright Muds

Well its getting to be that time again, I need a set of new tires, but im a broke college student so how do i solve this problem? Ive found that the best way to satisfy my crave for offroad styling and performance with retread tires from the renown "Treadwright." here is the link to the tires...
  12. H

Carolina Beach

Heading out on my second trip, to Carolina Beach, for my first aniversery. So far my check list includes... Tow Hooks 4x4 check Shovel/2x4s Tire Guage Cash Fishing Gear Anything else besides food?
  13. H

My Rig

Heres the latest pics of my rig. Its about time I got around to doing this.
  14. H

AAL Questions

Ive got access to a set of leaf springs that a buddy of mine has laying in his yard. Tomorrow im gonna go get them suckers, and take some pics and see what you guys think. My first question is how do I know if they fit or not? Second question, is there enough "curvature" of the leafs to actually...
  15. H

Replacing Throttle Body Cable

Has anyone ever done this? I like to replace old or worn parts on my X and before I tear this one out, Id like to know if its harder then I think it is. I checked on the AutoZone site, and found that they're only like $30. Any comments?
  16. H

Cragar on Jegs

With my tax returns, im investing in some new rims. Which bolt pattern, and backspacing do I need?! Ive been searching forever, and im sure theres more info on here, but im getting frustrated. So... Which one? http://www.jegs.com/p/Cragar/Cragar-Black-Soft-8-397-Series-Wheel/754162/10002/-1
  17. H

Jeep Tube Bumpers on Ex?

This may very well be a dumb question, but a buddy of mine has a jeep with tube bumpers, and ive gotten to like them a lot, and they are relatively inexpensive, so is it possible to modify jeep bumpers to fit on my ex?
  18. H

Wheel Bearings

My X has an issue with the front wheel bearings, either they need to be replaced, or need to be torqued/tighened. How can i tell whether or not, they need to be replaced or tightened, and if they have to be tightened do i need a "Ford Special Tool" to fix it?
  19. H

Rear Window Detachable?

I was driving around the small town i live in and saw an s10 blazer with the back glass lifted up, and thought i wonder if mine can just "pop" in and out. I also thought "i got nothin to loose" because the struts don't work anyway. But before i do this, i want to see if anybody else thinks...
  20. H

Stone Tires

Has anybody ever heard of these guys? They have mud tires for like 40 bucks a pop... http://stonetire.com/store/otd/ im running everything stock right now, and i need new tires fairly soon... plus i just lost my job, and im a cheap *******... they are retreads, what do yall think?
  21. H

Stock Radio

So ive got a 93 xlt, and recently, the radio has been coming in and out... the sound will cut off even though the volume is on full... the clock still works, but no sound... is 'sounds' pretty gay... any suggestions?
  22. H

4x4 doesn't work.

Ok so i just got my exploder like a month ago. I had to replace the torque converter seal so that it would quite leakin trans fluid. My radius arm bushings fell into peices, and i replaced them. And now the 4x4 wont engage. What can i do to engage it?
Back