Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Auto to Man Trans New Question

i just went and looked at my '91 xl 4 door with the factory 5 speed and the clutch pedal is easily 1 1/2 inches higher than the brake pedal. my '88 bronco ll is the same.
  2. S

Need help finding a diode.

Blocking Diodes, Isolating Door Triggers and Sensors, Diodes Across the Coil of Relays http://www.the12volt.com/diodes/diodes.asp i hope this helps.
  3. S

Will this ballmount work for towing my mustang?(needa tow this car tomorrow!)(Pics)

i would not hesitate to use that kind of drop ball mount either up or down. Reese makes good products. look at the label on it and see what it is rated at. hopefully the tow dolly you are going to rent has brakes on it. the weight of the car will push you along real nicely going downhill or...
  4. S

Manual transmission issue. It's very difficult shifting into gears.

my '91's slave is leaking slowly, i learned to put it in neutral while at a stop light or in slow traffic to ease the pressure off the hydraulics. instead of having to top up the reservoir with a couple ounces of brake fluid every week i now go about 3 weeks. eventually it will have to be done...
  5. S

rear ended --HELP!!!

anger management.......it works for some people, (hopefully)
  6. S

Ladder/Cargo Rack vs. Original Rack Question

this is what i did for my 2 kayaks each weigh about 60 pounds. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240189
  7. S

88 Bronco II + 93 Explorer = Short and powerfull

that weird round thingy you speak of is supposed to be a fuel filter housing. this is what a Ford Parts guy told me at the dealership. late in the '88 model year they began putting it in supposedly for the '89 model year. he didn't have a part number for the actual filter. what is really weird...
  8. S

rear ended --HELP!!!

never admit to anyone that when you passed you went over 55 and never admit to slowing down intentionally fast. there was a cat/dog/goat/cow on the road that made you slow down. talk to a lawyer before you say or do anything else.
  9. S

New to the forum but not to Rangers

www.canadiantire.ca lists the 225/70x15 Michelin Latitude X-Ice, SUV $162.39 Product #08-4071-0
  10. S

having massive trouble taking off driver side door hing!

'91 explorer's right side upper door hinge access hole with glove box removed. the nut is in the shadows deep down in the hole about 2 to 3 inches. most likely you'll drop the nut removing it. use masking tape to hold the new nut to the socket so it doesn't find a new home at the bottom of the...
  11. S

FM146 Tran's in '91 Explorer

when the ring gear on my flywheel got chewed up i bought a new gear from Ford. i hammered off the old gear then i put the flywheel in the deep freeze overnight. in the morning i warmed up the ring gear in the oven at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. i put lock-tite around the flywheel...
  12. S

Weird Steering Issue

if you are able to, try and pull the rubber back a wee bit with a tiny screw driver on each corner of the u-joint so the penetration lube goes in.
  13. S

Weird Steering Issue

sounds like the u-joints are seized on the outer half shafts.
  14. S

i had removed the right side door hinges before i found this website. now that i can see from DeRocha's pictures it would be easier to leave them in place and change bushings and pins. even with that slot cut in my door i don't wanna fiddle fart around with it. when it comes time to repaint my...
  15. S

i unscrewed the plastic door post cover and snapped this picture. not sure if it is a good idea to cut there or not. this was done by the previous owner i guess.
  16. S

on my right side door i removed the glove box and used a 1 1/4" hole saw to drill through the plastic and insulation to get at the nut with a socket. i dropped the nut and had to get a new one. using masking tape to hold the new nut on the socket so it won't fall down the hole. i've not yet...
  17. S

Headliner Question

have you tried looking at LMC Truck? http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/t.aspx
  18. S

A bit of a crazy idea but it could work

429 and 460 are basically the same block family just different stroke. at one time you could buy an aluminum bb from Ford that could be bored, stainless steel sleeved and stroked to 800+ cubes. i bet that would purr nicely in an explorer with a high lift short duration cam (low rpm torque) do...
  19. S

custom roof rack brackets

hauling anything long on the factory roof rack is not safe in my mind. so i decided to use the roof rack off my bronco ll but without rain gutters this was going to need some mods. i thunked about it for awhile and came up with the idea of using nut inserts. i got mine at www.princessauto.com...
  20. S

Working on Brakes, Blew Caliper Piston!!

if you replace or rebuilt one side it could end up pulling to that side when braking. that could be dangerous. it could also cause uneven brake pad wear between left and right sides. now that one side is apart it would be best to rebuild or replace both sides so braking remains even. better...
  21. S

My fuel pump died so I purchased this one....

I am too fat and lazy to walk so i only buy Ford pumps. I've had bad luck with after market pumps.
  22. S

Engine swap, will it work

take lots of pictures of your '98 from many different angles before you pull it apart then you have something to help put it back together. label anything and everything. masking tape and felt pen works well as long as you don't damage the tape while removing other things. take your time and be...
  23. S

How to: Replace Rear Wiper Motor?

check the ground wire. jump straight off the battery and see if it runs.
  24. S

At a loss, wheel noise?

i ran 20 psi for 2 months due to snowy weather. i never drive it over 70 km/hr (45mph) with those pressures. i found it noisy at lower pressures. last week i went back to 32 front and 34 rear and it is quieter. i run Michelin A/Ts and often pull a 3000 lb. trailer. on my bronco ll with the snow...
  25. S

At a loss, wheel noise?

drop the tire pressure down to 20 psi and do a careful drive around town to see if the noise is louder then pump them up to 40 psi and see if it quieter. that will indicate tire noise. make sure you inflate to proper pressure after this test.
Back