Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. B

96 Explorer Limited Driveline Thrumming noise

Thanks. I just checked the front driveshaft and it seems pretty tight. The u-joints themselves seem solid. I would expect that the u-joint vibration would be 3-4 times the wheel rotation though even with harmonics. Am I off base in my thinking?
  2. B

96 Explorer Limited Driveline Thrumming noise

I need help with this one. 174,000 miles. The noise is not a whirring or grinding sound. It isn't constant. It is more of a rum-rum-rum noise noticeable between 30 and 45 mph. It sounds like it is in sync with wheel revolution. I hear it a little more when I turn left at those speeds and...
  3. B

Bleeding abs w/o expensive tools

Sonic's suggestion makes a lot of sense. After a bit of research, I found that the ABS test sequence using the special tool is actually cycling the abs unit while pressure is applied to the brake pedal. This is done several times for each solenoid. Of course, it does not take into account some...
  4. B

Bleeding abs w/o expensive tools

Interesting approach. If normal bleeding was done, I would expect all the calipers to be full of fluid with no air. Only the ABS unit itself would have the air. So would it make sense to simply push brake fluid in from the bleeding nipple until air bubbled into the M/C? You'd have to do both...
  5. B

Everything you wanted to know about: "Memory Seats"

Good news and bad news Good news: I found the memory module directly above the motor module between it and the seat cushion. It's a 6 x 8 black rectangle with 3 connectors. I couldn't see it until I "raised" the front of the seat using the push button control on the side of the seat. Bad...
  6. B

memory module picture Thanks Don. I tried to post a picture, but I guess it didn't work (It was a link to my shared dropbox photo). Now it is in a public folder and it works! I'll try the door switch this week on a rainy day - I'm working on painting my house on the nice days. :P
  7. B

1996 Explorer LTD - no selft test button? Don and Cobraguy: I tilted the seat back and still found no push button. It is essentially a black housing with white sides that holds what looks like 3 motors. It says MEMORY on a sticker on one end and the green QA inspector label has 2/14/96 on...
  8. B

Thanks for the guidance Cobraguy. I looked carefully under the seat and everything looks like new under there (except for some dust). I've been unable to find the self test white button using a mirror and flashlight and have been a little reluctant to pull the seat. Do you know if the white...
  9. B

Almost same problem... Hi CobraGuy - I've got a similar problem in my 96 LTD. The pos1 and pos2 switches will set the seat to the correct position, but I want to change the memorized position for #2 . I hold down #2 but the LED does not come on and it won't set a new position. In fact the...
  10. B

ASC light blinks next to the sun roof controls

Cobraguy, What were the symptoms of failure in the control module?
  11. B

ASC light blinks next to the sun roof controls

ASC Sunroof blinking light means it needs resetting From the nice folks at The Sunroof Doctor: The sunroof control module may need to be re-calibrated. Push and hold the Vent button for 20 seconds then test operation. If that does not fix the operation, push and hold the Open switch for 20...
  12. B

Extreme Rust (Rear rocker panels)

So how do you do the actual repair? Do you measure and cut old ones off and weld the new ones on? If you don't have a welder, then how do the slip on ones work? If screws, do you see screwheads? Poprivets?
  13. B

How to: Install Your Own Shocks

In my opinion, when the original ARC shocks get replaced (with Monroe's like I did) the ride is never the same. I chose the Explorer after driving all the other SUV's and it was the ride that sold me. I believe the only advantage of the ARC now is the extra heght you get in 4WD low (about 2+...
  14. B

Torqlox, I'm guessing that the Blue Monroe's were not air equipped. If that's correct, then going back to air ride (ARC) will require all the other ARC parts working: solenoids, pump, height sensors, and ARC computer. Otherwise, you'll have to get an after market air shock system. bb
  15. B

Can anyone describe the ride that they get from the Monroe air shocks? I put them on the rear of my 96 Ex Ltd. After 6 months, they are still pretty stiff and bouncy. I'm not happy with the ride at all. I still have to do the fronts, but am reluctant given the ride from the new rear ones...
  16. B

Hey all - just a tip: If you plan to replace your shocks, it usually takes a few days before you a) get the parts and b) plan some time to do the job. On the day you inspect your car to see what the shocks look like, spray the mounting hardware with penetrating oil. Even WD-40 works well. I...
  17. B

ARC vs After Market AIR Shocks - Ride Height

Yep - the back of the car under the spare is pretty corroded on mine as well. I had to remove the plate that holds the Evap canister and the entire plate was flaking away. A trip to the local JY got me a newer plastic one for $10. Luckily, I didn't have to remove the ARC pump - all those bolts...
  18. B

Front Shocks: Stock Air Ride. (Yes, I've Searched...)

Hey folks, I have a 96 limited - all 4 shocks are ARC. I replaced the rears with Monroe 40006 and 40007 (yes left and right are different). They work but the only difference is that there is no connector for the electronic ride stiffness control. You only get the stiff ride - no more luxury...
  19. B

ARC vs After Market AIR Shocks - Ride Height

Monroe ARC replacement shocks work (with help) Kainon, I replaced the rear shocks only so far in my 1996 limited with Monroes. The ARC functions all work, but the ride sucks. Actually, this is the second pair - the first set would not compress properly because the air would not come out (this...
  20. B

rusty frame parts The picture is great! My tray for the canister is so rusty, I'm afraid to take it down for fear it will never go back in one piece. Does anyone know how to find the part number for this tray? Also, how convenient would it have been if the Ford designers put a rubber...
  21. B

How much transmission fluid?

My '96 Explorer 4.0 has the tranny cooler lines goint into the radiator. Driver's side facing the engine. I think (looking at the Ford Service Manual) the top one is the return back to the tranny. I'm trying to find a fitting for it but it looks like it may be metric. 3/" brass coupler is...
  22. B

Thanks Whitestang. I appreciate the straightforward advice. bb
  23. B

Geez...Here I'm thinking I can do the fluid change on my 96 in the garage. There is no drain plug, and even dropping the pan leaves the bulk of the fluid in there. Since I do nearly all repairs myself, I don't trust a dealer or a jiffylube. How do I turn the engine so the converter plug shows...
  24. B

97 5.0 Awd Shutters When Shifting To Od

So how does one know if it is Mercon or Mercon V in it? I have stock 4.0 with 4R55E with 115K miles. I know filter was changed at 60K but don't know what they used. Since I too have the shudder going from OD down, I suspect it is Mercon. All that being said, assume it is Mercon and I drop the...
Back