Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. Z

1997 Mercury Mountaineer with an alignment problem.

Like has been stated, if the front was sagging to begin with, this may be normal... but it makes me wonder if the tech doing the job knew how to adjust camber and caster properly... or if the arms weren't installed correctly. Sometiems people take the easy way out when installing the eccentric...
  2. Z

CAUTION! AWD Front Drive Shaft Removal --Drifts in park.

BW engineer? Good luck trying to get one of them. Hell, it takes over a month for a Ford engineer to come out. I have all the schematics in my Ford service manuals, as well as via the Ford PTS site. Though I must admit you're reference to the sun gears and planetary of the TC are lost on me. I'm...
  3. Z

For sake of argument, I suppose you could call it a differential... Though not your typical rear end style diff obviously. The VC has alternating plates on the input and output shaft with slots in them. The fluid inside trying to force its way through the small openings is what transmits some of...
  4. Z

Ford99, while I certainly respect everyone's opinions, I can assure you that a normally operating transfer case with a VC will still function normally after removing the front driveshaft. As has been stated, the relatively small mass of the front coupler will easily be spun by itself with...
  5. Z

One levers thoughts are one hundred percent spot on as they relate to how the VC works in this particular setup. And the TC is not trying to achieve a 50/50 split in power as someone assumed under normal driving situations. Its closer to 65 rear, 35 front.
  6. Z

ANNOYING clanking

Those are very common issues to the explorers. I was a Ford and ASE certifed tech at a Lincoln Mercury dealer for 7 years until they closed down. Now I manage an Advance Auto. Back to your question, the links dont necessarily have to be replaced, theyre more of an annoyance as you can hear and...
  7. Z

WHAT IS P1151 02/1 MEAN lean INSUFFICIENT SWITCHING

Bank 2 sensor 1 o2 sensor is not switching. This would be the bank that comes off the drivers side as bank 1 is where cylinder one is (pass side.) The o2 youre looking for would be the one before the cat on the drivers side pipe. The sensor is supposed to have a rising and falling voltage...
  8. Z

Mountaineer AWD, binding on sharp turns

Im assuming youre referring to the actual driveshaft that links the TC to the front diff and not the halfshafts, correct?
  9. Z

Mountaineer AWD, binding on sharp turns

I have an 00 Merc Mountaineer AWD 5.0. When Im going slow and doing sharp turns like in a parking lot, the truck slows down like its getting axle windup. No noises or anything but its definitely noticeable. Anyone else have similar issues? Is windup even possible with an AWD setup? Is this the...
Back