Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Whats your Explorer worth?

:australia Here in the land of Oz. Not to long ago I bought a '97xlt for $900 with a corrosion hole in the head. Other than that it was in excellent condition. It was leaking water at the back of the head near where the thermostat housing would be. (If it were turned around and put on the...
  2. M

Vibration in steering wheel during acceleration

Has the grinding noise gone since replacing cv's? Do any of the tyres have a bubble or any damage. I had a bad shake in my carolla due to a bubble in one of the tyres.
  3. M

Timin Chain

Small chain is for balance shaft. Only 4.0l SOHC 4x4 engines use them. The chain runs from the crank to the balance shaft.
  4. M

98 4.0L SOHC - Iridium plugs recommended?

Here in Oz I also was told to use iridium plugs by the local parts store manager.(who was getting his info from the plug makers manual) They only came in packs of 4 and where $120+ a pack. So I went to the Fraud Stealership and got motor craft for $5 each. I asked for a price on a set of...
  5. M

My 5R55E transmission is leaking transmission fluid, and I have no reverse gear.

Don't doubt the JB Weld I used JB weld to fix a corrosion hole in one of the heads on my explore. It worked a treat and still holding 3 months so far Just remember to clean thoroughly and rough up the surface a bit. I'm very confident that not only will it work but that it will work well.
  6. M

1998 Explorer with a blown engine.

Hey Mike. How's it all going? I only just got your question today. A glazed bore will result in low compression because the rings aren't binding into the cylinder wall. This allows the gasses to pass by the rings. Did you check the rings for clearance? Check the ring groove gap in the...
  7. M

How long will it hold? Place your bets.

I am very happy with my repair job. Not bad for $10. It is holding well so far. My dad was in the air force and he told me they used devcon (similar to what I used) to patch up aircraft. So I shouldn't have a problem using it. I know it's not permanent but it potentially could hold up for a...
  8. M

Here are both together the '98 is on the left.
  9. M

Are Explorere really that slow?

There is a big difference between the OHV and the SOHC. The SOHC has way more HP. I feel like I'm driving a sedan when I drive my '98 SOHC. I drove a '98 OHV (manual) for 2 months and it was like driving an old truck.
  10. M

No it's just dirt. I actually thought it was the plug before I looked and was very hopeful I was going to fix it for $1. This is where the thermostat sits if the head where turned around and used on the right bank.
  11. M

Forgot to mention. Back from test drive. (maccas and back) It goes great. No leaks. Its got air in the p/steering, pulley or belt noise and maybe a bit of wheel bearing noise but other than that it's running, road registered, and driveable. Now I'm of to buy a proper temp gauge, flush and coolant.
  12. M

4.0L SOHC I have one other good pic. I will take some of the spare engine in my shed (with some details). I wish I had taken some of the weld job but I was dodging wild storms and sort of forgot in my eagerness to put it back together.
  13. M

Sure thing. I will post pics of both my trucks together. Both have the same bull bars.
  14. M

I'm about to fill up with water and go for a test drive. Fingers crossed!
  15. M

another timing chain question

There are 2 bolts running horizontal that bolt to the back of the block
  16. M

Here's the story I bought this for $800.(sight unseen) Worth $6000 over here :australia '97 XLT. It was advertised as "excellent condition. water leaking from back of head" I jumped in my '98 Ex, hired a car trailer, drove 200klms to pick it up, then drove home. The upper and...
  17. M

Headlight Problem

My headlights are currently not working. This used to be an intermittent problem solved by a gentle wiggle of the indicator arm. Now they don't work at all and the high beam only works if I pull the indicator arm towards me, the don't work if I try to lock them on. I presume it's the switch...
  18. M

another timing chain question

I had same problem with cassette also. but it dropped down eventually after fiddling around. GENTLY.
  19. M

Hole in the Head

definitely coolant the intake is off and I've seen it spout out. If it's a case of pulling the head I'll prob swap engines.
  20. M

Hole in the Head

I just bought a '97 XLT in immaculate condition for $800. Only problem is it's got a pin hole in the rear of the left head. The pic is not the offending item it is from a spare engine I have in the shed. Any ideas on how to patch this up without pulling the engine or the head...
  21. M

SOHC V6 Timing Chain Saga

:australia:party: good stuff mate. time for :burnout:
  22. M

1998 Explorer with a blown engine.

Go to www.photobucket.com and create an account. Upload the images there and it will create the info you need to post here that says [IMG] a bunch of blah blah blah letters then [IMG] You copy and paste the entire thing including the brackets into your post and whala you have a pic posted. I...
  23. M

More problems after 0012m upper/lower manafold gasket, Tentioner kit fix

I removed the rear jack shaft bolt on my spare engine by locking the cam (using the otc tools this time). I undid this first then the cam gear.
  24. M

updated or not? left side timing chain cassette

The updated cassette has a metal backing plate on both arms. The old one only has a metal plate on the left arm.
  25. M

tranny problem

Have a read of the, transmission transfer case and diffs section, someone had the same issue and turned out to be their transfer case, mine is shot but presenting a different issue.
Back