Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. N

Best Firestone Tire for 2002 Explorer XLS - On road only

Anyone comment on Bridgestone Dueller A/T Revo 2's? I found a few review websites saying that they may be the best on road severe weather tire.
  2. N

Bridgestone name is included in this deal. Maybe I should look there?
  3. N

el oh el attract nails? sounds like someone was driving where they shouldn't have ;) It's crazy that pointed metal can lodge itself into rubber.
  4. N

Firestone is having a huge you pay what we pay plus a buck deal this weekend and I am looking to replace tires on my wife's explorer. I want something good in rain and snow. Right now I'm leaning towards the Destination A/T's, because I've read such good reviews on tirerack. Anyone have an...
  5. N

Cold start up - Puff of Blue Smoke

That's what I get for listening to people. Created a problem :) Hell, it may be the fact that they use Quaker State. I will be removing the devil juice from my explorer and use maxlife. I think I'll use the synthetic blend for now.
  6. N

I've read on other forums not to switch to a full synthetic on an older engine. Would you recommend the Synth blend? Also, does anyone have experience with Auto-RX? Is this just another one of those BS additives? Any info is appreciated.
  7. N

Help with diagnosis

Could it have anything to do with the PCM stickied on the top of this forum? Is your PCM updated to the latest release? I had this done on my X for like 35 bucks. I was stalling in cold weather, but I have yet to since the update 2 months ago. It hasn't been as cold, but I think the idle is...
  8. N

Far as I know, it's original. Just under 100k. Oil was Quaker State. I am not positive on weight. I'm going to start doing my own changes. Which weight on Valvoline Maxlife should I buy?
  9. N

This would actually make sense. We only noticed it after it sat idle, the cleaner may have removed the build up. What would it normally cost to replace valve stem seals. Also, what other problems could I see? I've never had a vehicle with 4x4 before and I'm absolutely in love with the...
  10. N

Any idea what that would run me to get fixed? We have the rear differential howl, possible t-case issues and the chain tensioner problem with the X. Sucks to have all these problems under 100k. We paid 5500 for the vehicle 6 months ago. Wondering if I should just cut my losses at this point...
  11. N

Background: I had a Ford Mechanic take a look at the Explorer, and I had problems with the chain tensioner rattle. He suggested that I flush the engine and put a mild detergent additive in the oil to keep the oil flowing through the tensioner. This quieted the chain for a period of time...
  12. N

Front Cigar Lighter Not working

I second the fact the rrgone rocks. Second problem that rrgone helped me with. Thanks for asking the question TToTheB and thanks rrgone for the answer.:thumbsup:
  13. N

Grinding noise, rear axle?

It's most likely the bearings. It should be worse if you swerve back and forth, then just riding down the highway. I would have a second shop look at it to confirm the bearings if the first place gives you hassles.
  14. N

Tire manufacture dates

Heat is an enemy of rubber. Are the tires you are replacing at their mileage? Being in Virginia, it's not like your tires are exposed to extreme heat year round. Do you store the car that shows cracking on the tires during the winter months? I'm surprised that you would exhibit that after...
  15. N

Strange Rubbing/Vibration when turning......

Tried to search for a how-to and I couldn't find it. Sorry.
  16. N

It's a 5 hour repair according to the TSB.
  17. N

Tire manufacture dates

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the tires only unsafe if they have sat on the shelf for a long time? I believe most tires in use should be good for 10 years per Strategic Safety, a group pushing NHTSA to set expiration dates for tires. If you just bought these tires and they are 5 years...
  18. N

Grinding noise when turning 2004 Explorer with Control Trac 4wd

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241751 Check this current thread out for the TSB. Does that sound correct?
  19. N

Go to Tasca Ford Parts Scroll down and look on the left hand side for Search by Factory Part Number. Enter the following in part number: 3L1Z-4947-BC Select Mercury from the drop down. 3L1Z4947BC $146.65MSRP $0.00CORE $96.79TASCA PRICE First, make sure you have 8.8" limited slip...
  20. N

Everyone here has helped me so much, happy to give something back. If you are planning on buying the parts, TASCA ford parts in Rhode Island has the cheapest parts in America, but it looks like you're in Canada. Not sure if TASCA can ship to Calgary, or how much it would cost.
  21. N

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1429415&postcount=2 Read above Rinse Repeat as needed.
  22. N

Nice work. It costs about 1200 to fix that with Ford parts. Hopefully they actually buy and install the kit, as oppose to using used parts from a JY. Otherwise, you may be in the same boat in a short period of time. Might be worth asking them what they used to replace the parts, and what...
  23. N

Good luck and give us an update after you deal with the warranty.
  24. N

Krisp, Take a look at the problem I submitted in the following link. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=240652&page=2 Look at RRgone's post at 1:32 am on 4/2. Look at the link to the TSB, then the link about wear. I have the following symptoms that sound like it is...
  25. N

Transfer Case

Seems like those who start with a spring steel drop it down to a lower hardness. 45 rcb vs 55 rcb. Therefore, I would say that wear would be better on the people who use the harder final product. I guess key would be hardness among the like components. Depends how much each component will...
Back