Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Broken Timing Chain Tensioner

Had some work done including replacing the lower oil pan gasket where the shop found the broken Timing Chain Tensioner. No indication of how long it's been broken. I have not heard any unusual engine noises. How critical is this? Should it be repaired/replaced immediately? This is a 1999...
  2. S

Driving with a bad Sway Bar Link

You've all confirmed what I suspected. Is there a thread that shows how to replace these things? I couldn't find it if it exists. Thanks a bunch.
  3. S

Driving with a bad Sway Bar Link

Hi Everyone, The driver's side sway bar link broke on me last night - approx. 150 miles from home. Any issues with driving back before doing the repair? The steering seems perfectly fine - just makes a "clunking" noise when driving over an imperfection in the road. Thanks
  4. S

Cost to Replace Upper Ball Joints

Quote from local dealer Brought my '99 XLT (146K miles) for recall work and oil change. Get call from dealer recommending the following: 1) Upper/Lower Ball Joints $540 (L) + $495 (P) = $1035 2) Outer Tie Rod Ends $150 (L) + $150 (P) = $ 300 3) 4 wheel alignment...
  5. S

Seafoam got me into trouble today!

Hi everyone, This thread caught my eye. What is this Seafoam stuff and why would I want to pour a can into my gas tank? What's it for?
  6. S

Solved Explorer Towing Capacities

OK - here is how it all wrapped up. We signed a contract on a Coleman Westgate PUP. Relevant specs include GVWR 3,000#, UVW 2,155#, tongue weight 180#. Getting a Class III receiver with sway friction and a 6" (or less) utility bar/ball. I feel much better at this weight class and hope to pull...
  7. S

Explorer and Coleman Avalon PUP - Is it advisable?

The Denoument OK - here is how it all wrapped up. We signed a contract on a Coleman Westgate PUP. Relevant specs include GVWR 3,000#, UVW 2,155#, tongue weight 180#. Getting a Class III receiver with sway friction and a 6" (or less) utility bar/ball. I feel much better at this weight...
  8. S

Joe, Many thanks. You have been extremely helpful - best advice I've received yet on these questions. Pretty good showing for a Village Idiot :salute:
  9. S

Other question: If we got a 3,000# PUP trailer with an advertised 180# tongue weight, would I need a Class II hitch installed or can I go with the integrated bumper hitch that is rated at 3,500# and 350# tongue weight? Seems to me I can. Thoughts?
  10. S

Joe, Great answers to both questions! Regarding the 5,680# towing capacity. Also from the manual, the tow tables elsewhere on this site, and the Coleman Dealer who called a Ford dealership buddy after pulling some codes off the inside of the driver door frame. This is for the auto...
  11. S

Thanks to all who responded. Bottom line is that we either get a lighter TT or a beefier TV. ps: wife wondering how you know she weighs 130 lbs? :D
  12. S

Thanks for the reply. I suspected 4,600# was probably a stretch but not quite as iffy as you suggest. We would tow the PUP up/down the East coast. The Ex has 145K, got a new tranny last year. Another option in that series is the Niagara that tops out at 3,970# GCWR and at 3,275#s dry weight.
  13. S

Ble1099 I appreciate your feedback and suspected this might be the case. What about stepping down to the "smaller" Highlander Series PUP - the Niagara?. It's GVWR is 3,970# with an UVW (dry weight) of 3,275#. Thanks again.
  14. S

New member and seeking your collective wisdom. We have a 1999 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC and the 3.73 axle ratio. The kit is rated at 5,680lbs max towing capacity. The Coleman Avalon (Highlander Series) has a GVWR of 4,600lbs and a UVW of 3,805lbs. 80% of the Explorer's 5,680lbs is...
  15. S

First post here and looking for wise counsel. We have a 1999 Explorer XLT, 4.0L SOHC and the 3.73 axle ratio. The kit is rated at 5,680lbs max towing capacity. The Coleman Avalon (Highlander Series) has a GVWR of 4,600lbs and a UVW of 3,805lbs. 80% of the Explorer's 5,680lbs is 4,544lbs...
Back