Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

2.3 litre 4 cyl dual coil 1992 engine problems

Well.....I decided to take it to Gainesville Ford, our local dealer because I assumed the dealer mechanics would be able to accurately diagnose. So I paid $90, waited 2 hours and was told by the service writer that I needed to replace both coils, the ignition module and the computer at a cost of...
  2. L

still a problem new wires plugs Still no spark from 2 of the plug wire connectors that go into the front coil. I pulled out the boot and a long spark comes from 2 of them, none from the 2 others. So that other link seems to say that the ignition module is faulty. Oh happy day. Wonder if...
  3. L

more no spark problems I pulled off two of the wires from the front coil. 2 are sparking nicely, 2 have no spark at all. Not sure about the rear coil, haven't tried that test yet. So apparently I have a bigger problem than the coil, since the coil in question is new. Still messing with...
  4. L

engine code 224 Code is 224, auto parts guy said it has something to do with the ignition coil. I did replace one coil but the light still comes on. Then I switched the coils. I noticed before that I could unplug the front coil, and the engine would run, but roughly. If I unplug the rear...
  5. L

Maf Ok, I googled MAF and see I should clean it with some electrical contact cleaner. That's quick and easy. Thanks for your help and I'll get to the auto parts store asap. I'm not sure about the "upper plugs". 4 are on one side of the head, and 4 on the other.
  6. L

runs fine most of the time Actually, most of the time it runs fine. Sometimes it was hard to start, and a couple days ago it started cutting out, so I changed the coil and that cutting out stopped. I'll go the the auto parts store and get the code, see if it is different than a coil problem...
  7. L

Hi. My 1992 XLT Ranger (almost an Explorer) has the check engine light on most of the time for over a year. Occasionally the light is off after I start up, but nearly always comes on and usually stays on, for over a year. Still, the engine ran fine, most of the time. Saturday I changed one coil...
Back