Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. F

Help me build a better tow rig

In addition to better gears ... I am not sure if it is an option for trailers with surge brakes but a weight distribution hitch makes quite a bit of difference when towing. The idea is it puts weight on the front axle instead of taking weight off. It will keep your head lights form pointing up...
  2. F

Swap meet

I got a ford np205 setup for twin stick and a shift linkage set .... Still looking for a great deal on a ZF 5speed 4x4, ranger pedals for the manual swap, a bw1356 and lots of stuff i don't know I will need yet.
  3. F

Swap meet

Carhartt's are required for entry???? weird I will be at the swap meet. Looking for a small block ZF 5speed 4x4, 1356 and a ford 205, some new racing/suspension seats and something that I will probably get that I don't need.
  4. F

The Beginning of the End run (2012 hangover cure)

I will not be able to make it either. The Ex is not done... Have fun Guys!!!
  5. F

Towing Modified Explorers

I agree with rick. Get a DODGE to tow with. :D It has nothing to do with the dodge, it has to do with the Cummins engine. Oh and a trailer is nice too when you have a broken axle. I tow with a 06 Dodge 3500 and a 10k flatbed trailer, the only way to go. Last weekend the Ex broke the axle tube...
  6. F

I have no idea whether I will make it or not now. Super busy with the holidays. I got the d44 back, need to reset up the gears and finish the johnny joints for the radius arms. Should be possible..... Oh and pretty well nailed down the details of picking up a 5.0 explorer after the 1st of the...
  7. F

Evans

I wish I could have made it but i had already committed to the green water run.:rolleyes: Oh well only made it 15ft and shattered my d44 short-side axle tube. I was not going to run trails anywhere, anyway today.
  8. F

Well since its the end of the world I wanna go wheeling too! Any idea where we are going for sure? Going to "Greenwater" tomorrow to get a tree. I am up for anything just let me know the plan. The explorer is ready to Go!
  9. F

explorer upgrade

That is crazy. Are you going to make a high strength tube drive shaft or just shorten another stock one? If you run a stockish one then, in theory, it can act like a fuse and blow before you grenade something else .... like a t-case:rolleyes: Maybe you need a throttle limiter
  10. F

fastboxR's cage test

Thanks, Ben ... that hill is my arch-nemesis I know Forest had some other pictures he should post too. Here is a picture of the cage work inside that you can't see from the picture provided above. Its bolted to the exo-cage by using squeeze plates. it makes everything really strong and keeps...
  11. F

Roll Over Posse Board Member Nominations and Elections

Forest pointed out during the recovery that now I too get to be a member of the roll over posse. I got a little tippy when my front end walked sideways on a hill climb and this is where I stopped. I have rolled on my passenger side before this time too. No real damage sustained from the...
  12. F

Evans Creek

Yeah if everything goes as planned we will be wheeling on the 14th. There should be a few RBV out there that day. Explorers are more than capable rigs if done right. The 4.0 is an awsome engine if you keep it cooled off and the tranny is pretty strong with a few mods, not to mention that you...
  13. F

FastboxR's Explorer with boat sides?

Yeah I can open the rear doors all the way but I took a ball-pein hammer with a rag over the door and rounded the door to the shape of the tube where it hit to give it more opening clearance. Its doesnt look too bad at least not as bad as what the trails will do to a rig. That tube is a smaller...
  14. F

I have not posted any updated pictures of the explorer lately. I got the plastic boat sides mounted on the ends and there are a couple tabs to hold the middle parts on till I drill and tap the ribs. I got new rear lights in, finished the welding, put new door hinge pins in, fixed the glass in...
  15. F

Memorial Day Weekend?

The guys that I always wheel with are headed to Liberty if its open and down to Tilamook if its closed. I wont go down there though and I think the way that weather has been going naches and liberty wont open till June 15th-16th. I would wheel with you guys if you went local; evans, elbe, and...
  16. F

explorer upgrade

Those door bars are amazing! So simple but it will totally work. I am going to copy you since my door is cut in half and I am on my 3rd set of doors. I don't want to look for another set next year.
  17. F

explorer upgrade

Yeah if you get a decent design going on those doors I would like to copy you too. Post more picts of that design if you could and more picts of the axle project.
  18. F

Well, here are some more pictures for you guys. I still am not done. I have to put the finishing touches on the doors, attach the plastic to the sliders, and finish the floor pan in the back passanger side, bed liner that part of the interior, then paint and I will be done I did get the...
  19. F

explorer upgrade

Can you open and close your doors? It looks like you have a bar across the door. Just wondering if you get in Dukes of Hazard style... the build is lookin awsome by the way!
  20. F

Well are you ready to go wheeling, that is the question? :D We are going to do a first test run on the SASed 3rd gen 4runner at evens on the 9th. Then we are doing a busywild run on the 30th. The cage and the sliders are not going to have a problem what I am concerned with is the ablility to...
  21. F

Don't be scared to cut the truck up. That's. All part of the fun! I will try to post lots of pictures tomorrow after I am done workin on it. Oh and by the way the body moves independantly of the frame normally, that is why there is rubber pucks between the two however, I have chose to make...
  22. F

Well its a little over mid week and I came home and worked on the project a little. I thought I would show you guys whats up on the project and what the sploder has done to it as far as internal cage. Here are the pictures of the rear winch. And here are the pictures of the ribs...
  23. F

Well the windows stop short about 2 inches but if you cut the doors i recomend using a grinder with a cutting wheel, cause i actually broke the driver window with the reciprocating saw. It rattled the window so hard it broke.. oh well, there is a lot of windows in the juck yard. I will post...
  24. F

explorer upgrade

lookin good. you need to put some 40s under that thing or maybe some 42s.
  25. F

Well I thought about it and decided to go first. You guys can learn from my success or mistakes. I started by cuttin the bottom of the doors off. There is a clear ridge in the door that makes a clean line. Then the old rock slider had to go. You have to be carefull because there is a...
Back