Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. X

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

Hey there.I bought a Made in the USA factory filter online and took it to Don Reid Ford In Orlando they put it on for $20.00.My filter on the 2003 xls had the three hoses and for twenty bucks it wasn't worth the pain everyone seems to have doing it in their driveways.
  2. X

Tire Pressure question...

Do what the door sticker says.I have a 2003 4 wheel drive xls and I have had excellent tire wear following the factory PSI.Also rotate every 5,000 miles and check the pressure often.With all the Firesone tire ,rollover trouble Ford had with the Explore they worked hard to come up with a good...
  3. X

Mice in 2002

Good luck on finding the way in.Had a 85 Town car they got in somehow set traps all the time but never found their route.The dealer said to turn the a/c off before turning the car off to make sure the outside vents were closed.Made no diff. On your Explorer open the front doors and make sure the...
  4. X

Help on removing radiator sight shield

Thanks Esclamada the cover had two rubber grommets that pulled off studs.Easy off easy on . Cought a mouse in the trap I set. Going to reset tonight.
  5. X

Thanks Ill give it a try in the morning.Got a mouse chewing the foam pad under it.I set a trap tonight see what I get
  6. X

I can't figure out how the sight shield[radiator cover] comes off.It looks like it is fastened on either end by something but what I don't know.Anyone ever remove it?iT'S THE PLASTIC COVER THAT HAS THE DECALS ON IT.
  7. X

Flex fuel My 2003 4.0 is flex fuel.Inside your fuel filler door it should say E85 .I took the easy way out on my filter $20 at my local dealer to install the filter I bought online[made in the USA not China]:
  8. X

Dealer did not follow TSB??

Hey Fly Boy. I'm thinking of trading my 03 X for a 2013 in Orlando.What are the initials of the dealer you went to.I will not buy from them.
  9. X

Mice & Rat Problems

I had a mouse problem when I lived in the Maryland mountains.I used the wood snap traps.Bait one with cheese and put it in the engine compartment of the wifes Town Car at night,remove the dead mouse in the morning.Did that for a few days until no more action.
  10. X

Wax & Cleaner Recommendations

Almost all polishes have some type of abrasive in them to remove water spots and small scratches.If you vehicle is not in need of a polish just use wax, I use P21S wax Monthly on my 2003 xls down here in sunny Orlando. Nice thing it does not turn chalky white if you get it on the plastc trim.On...
  11. X

Well finally got the new filter on.I bought it months ago and was going to do it myself until I read all the stories about the time and mess.So I called a local Ford dealer here in Orlando and they put it on for $25.00.It took them 20 min. and they got the gas on them instead of me.Got a chance...
  12. X

back window

When that happened to mine I did the push the switch to open the window and hit the bottom of the door panel with a rubber mallet or your fist several times trick till the window goes down.Now I open the window a little every other day and have had no problem in over a year.
  13. X

Battery is shot every 6 months for 3 years now? Ideas?

Had a similar problem with a Lincoln Town Car .Battery went dead, replaced it, went dead charged it went dead several weeks later.Repeat this for a few months until the wife calls me and says as she is opening the trunk she hears something running She takes it to the Lincoln deal where the find...
  14. X

Luggage Rack question

I got a pair of brand new still in the factory box off ebay last year.Some guy had them sitting around picked them up for $65.
  15. X

Need to buy new battery...

I still have the original Motorcraft battery in my 03 xls.It came off the line March of 03.The first four years it was driven in the hills of western Maryland,Since 2007 down here in Orlando Fl.Still going strong but I am sure it's days are numbered.Thats when I will check the latest Consumer...
  16. X

Found 2 ways to remove wax from plastic molding trim

What I found works best is using Zaino or P-21-S wax both don't affect the trim by leaving that chalky residue.
  17. X

tire size 275/65/16

Most tire MFGS say replace tires after 10 years.Auto MFGS recommend 5-6 years.I had some tires on a old F250 used on the farm up in Maryland that were 15 years old and all cracked but held air fine and I would fill them to 80psi when hauling corn[21/2 tons]but only drove 10 miles at 30mph with...
  18. X

I need help changing my fuel filter.

Welcome aboard.Take a look at the fuel filter replacement How Too at the top of this forum.It will help you decide if you want to tackle the task.Good luck
  19. X

2003 Liftgate Cracked

There are a lot of owners with the same problem here. Use the search feature at the top of the page,and also on the modified 2002-2005 explorer section.I have been lucky so far no crack but I see a lot with cracks down here in Orlando.
  20. X

Hard Starting on 03 4.0L

Change the filter first. It's cheap and if it's clogged it could give a low pressure reading.I dropped the tank on my CJ-7 jeep let me tell you its no fun all those years of road grime plus it was hard getting rid of the old gas.
  21. X

Try reading all the above posts. Many others have had trouble with the fuel lines,and they all have removed them .Mostly take your time,and report back when you have it done.
  22. X

255/70/16 on 2005 Explorer (Pics)

Thanks for they reply.The larger diameter tire gives you less of a mph reading also less miles on the odometer.When I change mine out I am going to check the speedo alongside a friends stock truck to see exactly how much it's off to be on the safe side.
  23. X

255/70/16 on 2005 Explorer (Pics)

They look great. How much did they mess your speedo reading?
  24. X

Oil Change.. My first time, Help!

I would suggest that anyone just starting out working on vehicles either get the factory workshop manuals or at least a Haynes or Chilton repair manual.Any of the good service books will give you a lot of important information and time saving tips.These websites are really good when you are...
  25. X

should I paint my wheels?

Flat black with the chrome caps get my vote. I painted some 15"X12" wide chrome wheels black on my CJ-7 Jeep and had polished SS center caps.I sand blasted the chrome wheels with aluminun oxide media in a sandblasting cabinet where I was working.If you don't do that the paint will flake off.Some...
Back