Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Braided fuel line leaks

I discovered this post while trying to find information about where to find the braided fuel line.I discovered the leak when I went to jump start another vehicle. It was only after reading this post that I was able to find the badly deteriorated warning label. It was wrapped around the fuel...
  2. T

Hard starting - gas odor

Haven't had an opportunity to look at it. I don't have a garage so must do everything in the driveway. The weather hasn't been very cooperative.
  3. T

Hard starting - gas odor

My Ex has always started as soon as you barely touched the key. Lately its taking a little longer to crank; 2-3 seconds. Certainly not long but far longer than usual. I've also detected a slight gas odor after running it a couple miles. I can't pinpoint exactly where the smell is coming from and...
  4. T

96 Fog Light Mod

Mine are still looking good. The right one doesn't work even though I replaced the bulb, that's what started my search to begin with. I figured while I'm fixing that I might as well do the mod now that I know it can be done. What aftermarket lights did you get?
  5. T

96 Fog Light Mod

Kevin I haven't done the mod myself, but plan to. I stubbled across your post last night, then found the other several minutes later. Just thought I do you a favor and let you know about it. To answer your question, I took it that the brown wire was in the junction box. I hope to do mine...
  6. T

96 Fog Light Mod

Go to this thread. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31137 I think you'll find what yoou need there.
  7. T

Radiator leak at trans line

"Have you considered just ignoring it unless/until it gets worse." Yes, actually I have. I'm just waiting for that day when it decides to blow.
  8. T

Well, here we are 6 months later and the changes are minimal. The recovery tank is now empty and the coolant level in the radiator is about an inch down from the bottom of the filler neck. There is a white scaly residue around the leaking fitting and areas where the coolant has dripped. The same...
  9. T

My radiator is leaking slightly at the upper transmission line. The radiator is completely full and the temp gauge stays where it always has. The coolant in the recovery tank is lighter in color than that in the radiator. The line to the recovery tank is open. I replaced the radiator cap...
  10. T

Transmission cooler hose

I used fuel line on mine several months ago to replace some rotted out lines. It works just fine. I used the better clamps designed for use with fuel injection just to be on the safe side. I also used two clamps at each connection since there were no nippled ends to help keep the hose in place -...
  11. T

Replacing rear steel brake line on 99/ questions

I'm not sure about the flares, I was not asked that question when I called around. However, I believe they were bubble flares.
  12. T

Replacing rear steel brake line on 99/ questions

I bought a stock length of 3/16" line from Pep Boys for about $5.00 for my 97 Sport. If I remember correctly it was 51" long and the ends were already on it. I bent it by hand since my bender wasn't made for anything smaller than 1/4". It took about 30 minutes from start to finish including...
  13. T

Rear ABS sensor in Differential

Check ALL your steel lines; you should see a wet spot where it is leaking. Our vehicles are prone to this. Many here have replaced all their brake lines. The left rear is a common place but follow all along the frame rail on the driver's side. Do a forum search on this issue and you will find a...
  14. T

bad gas cap

I replaced my cap and it solved the problem for a little while. After about a month the cel kept coming on for a couple days and then would go off. It turns out that the aftermarket cap was working its way loose. I just got into the habit of checking the cap every day. Its usually loose about...
  15. T

Radiator leaking trans fluid

My radiator is leaking trans fluid. Apparently only the part that trans fluid runs through is affected; I'm not having and cooling problems nor leakage. Since I have an auxilary cooler can I bypass the radiator without any negative effects?
  16. T

Slow auto trans fill?

Yep.
  17. T

Slow auto trans fill?

Where is the breather located on the tranny?
  18. T

Slow auto trans fill?

I just replaced a rusted transmission line. When I went to top off the tranny the fluid ran in painfully slow. Is this normal or indicative of some problem? '97 sport, 4.0 SOHC, auto 4x4
  19. T

Extreme Evasive Maneuver Snaps Sway Bar Link!

The passenger's side broke on mine on the way home from work a couple nights ago. It was almost midnight and snowing. When I looked underneath the next morning I could see nothing wrong. I took it down my rough driveway and back and then was able to find it. Apparently it was seated in its...
  20. T

New vs rebuilt half-shaft?

I need to replace my right half-shaft. All the parts stores stock the rebuilt ones and can get new ones in a day or two. The price is about the same for each. Am I better off with the rebuilt one, I am assuming it is a rebuilt Ford unit, or with a new one that I assume has a good chance of being...
  21. T

Bizarre noise

On the way to work Friday my '97 (Auto 4x4, 4.0 SOHC, 132k) made a really bizarre noise. I stopped at a traffic light and my wife and I both heard a noise that sounded like a phone ringing off in the distance. When we pulled away it stopped - I assume it was masked by road noise since the sound...
  22. T

Advice needed from Alignment Gurus

Couldn't you get a real close camber adjustment by placing jackstands under the lower control arms (so that the suspension still had weight on it) and then put a level vertically on the side walls of the tire? Assuming, of course, that your horizontal surface was level. Just curious.
  23. T

Odd noises/sensations

'97 Explorer Sport, 132k, 4.0 SOHC, Auto w/ control trac 4wd, Wrangler tires w/ 75% tread. I've only had this vehicle about 6 wks and never owned a 4wd before. I'm not sure what sounds I should be hearing or sensations I should be feeling on a truck with this kind of mileage. I'm a little...
  24. T

New member in PA

Thanks for the warm welcome. BrooklynBay - I got it cheap because it was uninspected and unregistered; the apartment complex where the owner lived gave her two weeks to get rid of it or they would. Her loss, my gain! I don't think she had a clue what it was worth. Other than some rust in the...
  25. T

New member in PA

Just relocated back to PA after 8 years in TX. I forgot what winter weather was really like! I recently bought a '97 Sport, 4.0 SOHC, 4x4 with 131K miles for $350. Had to do a little work to get it through PA inspection. So far I have about $1K in it. Runs great and does everything its...
Back