Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. G

P0340 issue

just to be of help to anyone else on this forum, as you all have been so kind to me - I have had to recently: replace the CEL lamp replace the camshaft sensor (looks simple but has a nasty gotcha) can advise anyone on these two issues, have pics as well. Im still not done yet as the...
  2. G

whine coming from engine - uh oh

V8 5.0l awd
  3. G

Hi, I should add that I thought it could be the power steering - so I looked but it wasnt low on fluid, topped it off anyway. Also noted - the sound didnt change much when the engine was on and I tried to turn the wheel. Guess I could try the stethscope - never tried that technique before....
  4. G

First let me say - I really appreciate this forum ! Its a huge help to have the experts offering their advice. Im pretty savvy but not too sure what is going on with my 1996 Eddie Bauer, stock. 198K miles. Fluids seem fine. Recently changed the oil. This new whine sound - reminds me of a...
  5. G

how to check AC ?

belt goes round but presumably something else should spin with the button pushed - there's no change. Warm air only.... The clutch has three thumb size extrusions facing outward yeah ? If this is it - its not moving a bit. Suggestion ?
  6. G

how to check AC ?

Hi, I bought a used 1996 Eddie Bauer Explorer, and have never used the AC ( although Lord knows Ive wanted to here in Los Angeles in the summer). Since I dont work on cars for a living, my knowledge of what to even check is limited. When I turn the fan on, it blows. The heater is fine...
  7. G

1996 AWD Eddie Bauer - replace broken door handle

1996 AWD V8 Eddie Bauer Explorer - broken drivers door handle. Only one of the two connectors is broken, but it is the main one. Pulled the door panel off to get a good look.... One can see what appear to be aluminum rivets which hold the door handle to the door body, but its not clear if or...
  8. G

1996 Exlorer V8 AWD - flywheel turns motor does not

Hey Joe, $120 to weld here in West Los Angeles. We'll see soon how robust that weld actually is, but it looks very competent to my eyes. Yeah, it did nearly crack off ! Fortunately, the welder I used has pictures where he has repaired even that level of damage. I didnt realize what was...
  9. G

pics of repaired transmission housing Thanks to all for the awesome help on this forum. As of yesterday, I was able to get the cracked bell housing repaired, see pics in this URL: http://s1034.photobucket.com/albums/a425/mercnuts/1996%20Ford%20Explorer%20AWD%20problems/ Also, just bought the...
  10. G

Mine looks similar ! The vibrating was due mostly to cracked bell housing Yes - I used the awesome PB BLASTER makes quick work of testy bolts and nuts How do you upload pics here
  11. G

how to remove the torque converter so that welder can get clear access ? TIA to all a weld and a replaced flexplate should fix this !
  12. G

awesome tip about TIG welding thank you Joe Doe ! This may save me alot of time and money, I read up a bit on the TIG process. The flexplate is defintely AFU slides with finger touch. Could the loose flexplate be cause to crack the bell housing ? The car was vibrating HARD last two days...
  13. G

bell housing cracked it's true - at the starter about 4 inches diagonally. Crack appears to be ONLY at starter housing. Not sure if crack happened before or after ( breakdown on surface street ) The flexplate is def bad but now this Can I just R and R the plate and fix the bell...
  14. G

BUT - if flexplate is all that is bad, why wont it start thinking on this problem a bit more, the failure of the flexplate strikes me as irrelevant to why this vehicle wont start. Shouldnt this failure only keep the vehicle from moving and have nothing to do with its ability to start ?
  15. G

flywheel replace - tools needed ok after checking around with various mechanics and with a couple of informed friends, Im starting to wonder if I cant do this myself. So - wondering if anyone can chime in with tips and tools needed. I dont have a lift but do have a jack and stands. Can...
  16. G

re: free part Hi Turdle, thank you very much for the extremely generous offer. Im weighing my options at the moment, looks like the transmission will definitely have to come off to repair this flexplate/spacer issue (if thats what is truly wrong with my vehicle). As I dont work on cars...
  17. G

yeah, flexplate blues Hi, thank you very much for the excellent tips. After further reading, it looks like several others have experienced the: 1. metallic flapping clicking noise 2. engine vibration that would be coincident with a failed flexplate. Since removing the transmission...
  18. G

2 days prior to the horrible clanking noise from the engine area, this vehicle was vibrating badly at idle up to about 10mph. Ok at 30mph. Also, metalic flapping sound past few weeks, loose bolt at exhaust is what I was thinking. Then one nite, on a surface street, all of a sudden, hard clanking...
  19. G

drive linkage issue - best way to check / test - wont go into 1

PRND21 my 96 Explorer (Eddie Bauer ver) wont physically shift to 1 correctly 'homes' to PRND2 to get it to D kinda have to "go past it" but then it homes ok seems to run fine in D now, how would I check this kind of issue and/or fix it ? possible drive linkage shift linkage is what im...
  20. G

96 Exp - automatic entry - how is it supposed to work ?

there's no crash damage at all, but a good guess.a - where's the theft module located ? at what point should the chirp be heard on a normally functioning 96 Explorer, if at all ? thanks for any / all assistance
  21. G

96 Exp - automatic entry - how is it supposed to work ?

1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer version, stock condition. Just bought it used and very happy so far (considering what I paid ! ). This vehicle has some minor issues ! This vehicle did come with a remote keyfob, which appears to work, at least somewhat. Follow me here and you'll see what Im doing...
  22. G

93 4.0L Explorer w rough idle - replaced IAC - no change

no solution in sight to all who posted here - Ive found no solution and my poor Explorer runs like crap, worse than before. Since this is not my area of expertise, I was hoping an expert would chime in here. Occasionally the "check engine" light will come on but Im not sure if thats...
  23. G

Justin - thanks for the tip. It wouldnt surprise me at all that vacuum lines would be the problem. I searched for the best way to test them but still not sure I get it. Its a bit like the opposite of checking an inner tube for a leak I suppose. What vacuum lines ? Where are they ? I...
  24. G

what is meant by "tbs" hey Skoal - thanks for your posting. What did you mean by "tbs". Is that a sensor or ??? Thanks, grade_t
  25. G

Hi Anime4x4 thanks for your posts, and your help ! "No check engine light when it stumbles or stalls?" it never comes on. Strange to me since it runs so badly at idle. I would agree it seems like a sensor problem. The condition at idle never occurs "right away" but only after a...
Back