Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. K

Front Axle Question

I'm about to do CV joints on my 2000. The last time I did them, I jsut replaced the CV's, but is there a gasket or anything else that should be replaced to prevent leakage from the transfercase? I've noticed that the transfercase has a slow leak and wonder if i need to consider it being another...
  2. K

Wheel Bearing Replacement Yet Again

I pulled the trigger on the cheaper ones. With riding season coming up i'll be out on the motorcycle a lot more if the weather is nice again this year. Didn't have the cash on hand for the timken's but would definately recommend that website to anyone looking for parts. Literally took 2 days to...
  3. K

I do have aftermarket wheels Cragar 8's but I'm pretty sure the backspacing was the same as the factory.
  4. K

Yeah that could have been my issue this past time of putting too much torque to the axle nut. I did go with the cheaper ones just to save some cash. The obviously don't look any different than the duralast that I put on 50K ago. We'll just have to see how it plays out.
  5. K

So once again after buying some Autozone wheel bearings I am in need of a new front driver side as it sounds like a freight train going down the road. I didn't use Timkin last time, but searching around I found a pair for under $100 at this site...
  6. K

Parking Brake Woes

So here's my issue. I failed inspection due to a bad parking brake. I bought new shoes and springs etc, but when taking off i realized the main problem was where the cable connects on the parking break adjuster at the top. Looks like this was the problem that came with the truck as the pads were...
  7. K

Muffler Repair

One more question. Will a high flow or performance muffler and tailpipe throw off any check engine codes? I'm not going to have to worry about any issues with o2 sensors or anything right? I'm going to make the guy an offer tomorrow and hopefully get it on this weekend.
  8. K

Muffler Repair

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. I was looking on craigslist and found this. http://worcester.craigslist.org/pts/2534463707.html for 75 bucks it might just be worth it.
  9. K

Muffler Repair

Well you can clearly hear the leak. It's been growing over the past couple of years. But it's pretty loud now and when they rev the engine they were listening to the sputter out of it.
  10. K

Muffler Repair

So I'm not really looking to upgrade or even replace if I don't have to but again I did not get past inspection for 1) parking brake not working and 2) muffler has a hole in it. The parking brake seems to be a quick easy fix. However the muffler looks to be a different story. It looks to be...
  11. K

How To: Upper Control Arm / Ball Joint Replacement (Lots of Pictures)

So I have the two piece on my passenger side and i figured since i'm replacing the drivers side lets just get both done at once. I ordered the two piece, any issues with getting this in? Seems pretty simple with three bolts only...
  12. K

Lower Ball Joint or whole assembly

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. So this would have been all completed yesterday but FedEx didn't get here until 6:15 last night with the parts. I took apart both sides and by the time the parts got here it was raining. Didn't stop til 9 p.m. either. Decided to put everything together today...
  13. K

Just bought an Explorer

Welcome! Plan on posting any pictures soon?
  14. K

Replace Control Arms with ball joints?

Man i wish i saw that kit earlier. Thought what kind of parts are they using? Are they any good? I'm putting Moog for the LBJ's and tie rod ends.
  15. K

Ranger 3.0L DTC - P1446?

Check the fuel filler neck too right under the cap. My Mountaineer had a simialr issue and would shudder at certain shift points. Thought it was the transmission, but turned out to be there was a small crack in the gray part that the cap clicks into. This small gap is letting in just enough air...
  16. K

automatic car wash has disabled my explorer

Can you post the codes? It'll make it a lot easier for people help you with. If you haven't already taken it to get fixed, just call up ford and talk to a tech there. Also, if you're looking for parts location, the motorcraft website has some great diagrams and brakdowns. That's where i get a...
  17. K

Yeah I think I'm just going to stick with the LBJ's for now. Don't know if i want to start dealing with the torsion bolts right now.
  18. K

Ive never replaced any of the ball joints, I just didn't know how hard it'd be to press them in and out.
  19. K

So I just brought my truck in for the MA state inspection and go figure, they checked the ball joints and tie rods. Aparently I need a new tie rod end on the Right side and a new lower ball joint on the left. RockAuto has a decent prices, but i know ball joints can be a pain to replace. Does...
  20. K

automatic car wash has disabled my explorer

Did it give you any codes other than saying throttle body? You can typically search the exacty OBDII code and it will give you a fix through google. Was it turning over easily or did it sound like maybe a drained battery. You could have an alternator issue or maybe even need a belt. How...
  21. K

ABS Light Woes

Well with a little searching and a stumble to a pic of the rear abs senson I found it. Drove over to Autozone and picked a new one up for 13.99 on a whim. Fixed the problem. However, while there I noticed you can now just buy the front abs sensor. However that'll cost you $139.00. You're better...
  22. K

ABS Light Woes

So does anyone have a location as to the rear abs sensor?
  23. K

ABS Light Woes

I'm hoping it is a simple cleaning on the sensors. I know where it is on the front hubs, but where is it on the rear differential? When accessign them to clean what's the best way to do it. I'd much rather not have to take apart the front end this weekend.
  24. K

ABS Light Woes

:help: So here's my issue. Saturday night my ABS light came on. Thought that maybe it had something to do with the front pads since there was about 40,000 miles on them and the fluid was low. On monday as I was leaving work the ABS light didn't stay on. However, after coming to a complete...
  25. K

Universal Joints (U Joints) Replacement

Awesome. Thanks for the pictures. I crawled underneath and for some reason i just never differentiated the two drive shafts. You'd think after two years i would. I figured while i'm under there i'd replace the brackets that hold the front ujoint into place. Also would these be necessary...
Back