Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. L

Transmission???

88- well, i'll tell you that my 92 sport just trashed its 2nd tranny... :( Same exact problem both times, first O/D went, then shortly thereafter it didnt want to **** out of 1st without putting up a rather huge fight. Needless to say, I lost again. I love my explorer, but I dont really want...
  2. L

smoke coming from vents!

I took out the blower motor and found about 6 inches of dried pini needles and leaves buries behind it. So i now have the joy of tearing out the dash to get to the heater core because im sure thats where the leaves and stuf were burning. Too bad the heater core isnt as easy to get to as my 'X'!!!
  3. L

smoke coming from vents!

Im going to check out the blower motor this afternoon, hopefully i find a bunch of burnt leaves...
  4. L

smoke coming from vents!

anyone??
  5. L

smoke coming from vents!

I love my explorer, but i cant fit my whole family in it. So one of my other vehicles is an 86 chevy G20 conversion van. It's a great van, until yesterday... 25 degrees outside- I started it up, let it warm up for about 3 minutes and started backing out of the driveway, when thick smoke...
  6. L

Hesitating, stumbling...

I agrre with bashman, try the plugs. Number 5 likes to go really bad, and cause all kinds of hesitation problems.
  7. L

Help!!! I changed my alternator...

When I replaced the alternater in my 92, I was still having the same problem. Then someone told me to replace thew alternater fuse ( in the fuse box under the hood). Sure enough it was blown. So give that a shot.
  8. L

1st gen. ABS & snow

I hat them just as much, any one know if pulling the fuse would kill the ABS?
  9. L

DANCING TEMP GAUGE

Hey NateEB---- Ever find your problem on the swinging temp gauge? I replaced my thermostat becausethe temp gauge would barely go past cold, and I would get next to no heat. Now the temp gauge fluctuates BIG time between cold and normal, and heat is still quite minimal --NEED HELP!
  10. L

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS !!!!!

Yes- My 92 used to use a quart of oil a week, and used to ping really bad. Re-torqued the lower intake bolts, replaced the plugs and wires. That was last may, nad I think I have had to put in 2 quarts of oil since then.
  11. L

Silver lake Michigan,this fall?

No can do this trip man- Money is way too tight
  12. L

I dont know If I'm goin yet. I have to get the truck fixed(Damn raduis arm bushing) and IF I do go, I'll have the wife and my 6 month old daughter. So we will see...
  13. L

stupid engine! Mine Bogs... Help guys!

Check the plugs just to make sure
  14. L

Radius Arm Bushings - My Experience

oh, and I am guessing that the socket size will be the same on my 92 sport 4x4? anyone know differently? Thanks.
  15. L

Radius Arm Bushings - My Experience

I will be tackling this job this weekend, so I am VERY glad to have found this post! I have seen the question of "how to change radius arm bushings" on here many times. This looks to be quite helpful. Anyone with anymore suggestions, please let me know.
  16. L

front end noise? bang?

Possible radius arm bushing? I dont know enough about the newer X's, but I know the older ones would have those symptoms when the bushing went bad.
  17. L

How do stock X's handle the badlands?
  18. L

Yeah- please do tell how the hell that happened???
  19. L

Now what should i do?

It cant hurt to change your FPR and your fuel filter as well, When I changed mine, the truck ran 10times better.
  20. L

Hey espnfreak, thanks for letting me know. We should be able to make it, Sounds like a good time!
  21. L

Alternater bad???

Well, I made it 25 miles away to a friends house, on just the battery. By the time I got there, it sounded like the alternater was going to explode. I changed out the alternater on saturday, and all the bearings fell out of the bad one!! Then I started frekin out cuz the new one wouldnt work...
  22. L

Alternater bad???

Thanks a bunch for your help! I took it to Sears automotive for lunch, and they had never heard such a noise, so they were no help. I took it to Jewel and back to work, and it started just fine. Symtoms still there though. I still havent made up my mind about driving it home. I probably...
  23. L

Alternater bad???

Ok- I'm on my way to work this morning, and about halfway here, I start hearing this strange knocking/deep rattling noise coming from under the hood. Then I notice my battery light is on, and the battery gauge is much lower thatn normal. I still had full use of lights etc. I get to work and...
  24. L

Should I buy this 92'?????????

those are typical problems with the front end for a 92 explorer.. With over 170,000 miles, I would be suprised if the tranny hasnt been rebuilt allready. Did overdrive kick in ok? Did you check the fluid? Any car for that cheap is going to need some work. The nice things about exploreres...
  25. L

What is ths NOISE?

Could this be the oh so well known PING that we love soooo much?
Back