Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

98 Eddie Bauer Explorer Sport

Thanks, guys for your response. I was suspicious of the the dealership's intentions and I think StreetRod provides a very likely outcome. Maybe my first step should be to rent a compression gauge from AutoZone and check each cylinder. I read the instruction manual for the compression tester...
  2. T

Thanks, StreetRod. I saw this post from you and wondered if it has any application to the 98 Explorer. Engine No Start Procedure I don't believe the car was driven through any water before this happened, but I need to confirm with my son. What do you mean by hydro-lock? I do think I...
  3. T

We made a video of the engine noise. If anyone can offer an opinion after listening to it, please do so. Ignore the air pump noise - my neighbor was pumping up a tire on his car. Thanks for your help so far. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8AyuvKHeSI
  4. T

Update - I've been checking the value of this car on Kelley's Blue Book and am surprised to see a price tag of $3500 for private party sale for a vehicle in good condition and having the options that this 98 Explorer has. The engine will crank but does not start. There is a rhythmic pop...
  5. T

My son's 98 Explorer needs another engine so he is willing to let it go to someone in the tristate area (Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky) who may have an Explorer with a good engine but poor interior/exterior. The car is the Eddie Bauer edition and has a clean interior, good tires (only 15,000...
  6. T

Weird Heating Issue

My son drives a 98 Explorer Sport and reported to me that he started to notice yesterday that he gets good heat while the car is moving, but whenever he comes to a stop, the air temp cools off. Once he begins driving again, it comes back up to temp. Has anyone else ever noticed this?
  7. T

OBD1 or OBD2 scanner?

For my boys' 98 4x4 Explorer, I believe I need the OBD2 scanner and this OBD1 will not work. Correct? http://www.amazon.com/Actron-CP9015-Ford-Code-Scanner/dp/B0006V2BGY
  8. T

Starting Problem

Hi budwich, the CEL did come on and then go off under both the no start condition and the normal start condition.
  9. T

Starting Problem

Hi guys, a year later we still have this problem intermittently. The last time it occurred was two days ago. The "CEL" does come on. The engine cranked but did not start in either "P" or "N". I tried the fuel line antifreeze trick again but no luck. Today I checked the fuel cutoff switch...
  10. T

brake fluid leak

Hi Guys, I found this post and decided to reply to it instead of posting new because I have a problem with brake fluid loss on my sons' 98 Explorer 4X4 but there does not appear to be any obvious cause. We are losing about 8oz per month. We even had the car at the mechanic for another issue...
  11. T

Oil and Filter Change

Thanks, guys, for all the helpful hints. I knew I could get some reasonable advice if I just asked. I guess I can continue changing the oil and filter after all. Hey gijoecam, do you know when Ford changed to the new oil pan design?
  12. T

Oil and Filter Change

I pulled up a thread for oil change using the search function, but then I realized it was from the forum for the 2001 -2005 Explorer. The thread was about how often the members changed the oil in their vehicles. I just changed the oil and filter on my sons' 98 Explorer Sport. They've put...
  13. T

How often do you get your oil changed?

I pulled up this thread by using the search function. Although it is a year old, I wanted to post and say I just changed the oil and filter on my sons' 98 Explorer Sport. They have put only 2600 miles since we bought it last year, but I wanted to get new oil into it. What a mess! The drain...
  14. T

Starting Problem

Hi outdoorman99, welcome to the site. So far the only fix I've done is to add the fuel line antifreeze (methanol) to the gas tank. I'll filled the tank once since then. Neither I nor my sons have had a repeat with the starting issue.
  15. T

4x4 & low 4x4 flashing

My sons' 98 Explorer Sport shows the same issue. Can someone provide any pics that show exactly where this connection is located? It sounds like an easy 1st step to troubleshoot.
  16. T

Driver Side Will Not Unlock (92ex sport)

I'm glad I found this post so I could explain this problem with my sons' 98 Explorer Sport. The only way to unlock their drivers side door is from the inside. The keyless entry does not unlock it, the key does not unlock it nor the remote. We can hear the lock mechanism click but the door...
  17. T

left turn signal

I was hoping to get a reply to my question, but I have researched other posts about this problem. I saw a post from "aldive" in June 2005 about replacing the multifunction switch and he said this - "The first step is to disconnect the negative battery cable. Next, the 3 screws that hold the...
  18. T

New RAP module works / Remote does not.

The remote problem is solved. My son came home tonight and told me he had turned the ignition switch 8x and the doors locked then unlocked. What is interesting is that he ended up with the ignition in the OFF position when this happened. We then had a short discussion about the differences in...
  19. T

Hi rizzjc, I do have another remote that works okay. It's missing the unlock button and that was the reason for acquiring the 2nd remote. The keyless entry works okay. I've been researching this issue this morning and found a post from "aldive" from 2007 that describes my problem perfectly...
  20. T

Hi Cobraguy, I can't discount that remote may have a problem, but how would that explain that the Explorer did not react as it should in the first place? Shouldn't I see the doors lock, unlock and the horn chirp after a certain number of OFF-RUN sequences even if I was doing it just for fun?
  21. T

I just bought a remote from eBay for my sons' 98 Explorer. The FCC ID code matches up perfectly - CWTWB1U212 - so I expect it should work okay. However, when I did the OFF-RUN sequence 8x, the doors never locked or unlocked and no horn chirping. I did this 3x with the same effect. The...
  22. T

left turn signal

My twin sons' 98 Explorer Sport has a similar problem. The left turn signal doesn't work but the right one does. It did flash when the steering wheel was in the rest position, but my one son noticed that it stopped when the steering wheel was lowered. Now it doesn't work at all. I suspect...
  23. T

Starting Problem

Hi budwich, I just went out at lunchtime to confirm. The check engine light does come on when the key is turned to the run position, it stayed on until I started the car and went off when the car started. Hopefully, I'll have the same success when I leave tonight. I didn't see anyone respond...
  24. T

Starting Problem

Hi team, the check engine light never came on. I only reason I left it set overnight was to give the fuel antifreeze sufficient time to gather up any loose water molecules that may have been lying around. I will pull a spark plug if it does happen again.
  25. T

Starting Problem

Hello, My sons have a 98 Explorer Sport that had a starting problem over the weekend. The engine would crank but not ignite. They drove home from school on Friday around 6pm, and 1/2 hour later it would not start. The temperature was cold last week and stayed there over the weekend and...
Back