Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Key Fob/transponder problems 2004 Explorer

I've started to use my Explorer a bit more after letting my daughter use it at college. The key fob doesn't work and I've went and put a new battery in it. I even went to the trouble of buying a new one. Neither of the fobs work. What inside the car communicates with the fob? I heard it was a...
  2. J

Installing replacement radio with backup camera

We bought my wife a car one year ago that has backup camera in it. I really like the backup camera feature and the bluetooth connectivity with one's cell phone for the hands free features and music playing that is stored on my phone. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer of replacement radios that...
  3. J

Accessing Heater/AC Controls

2004 Explorer XLT The heat is not getting to the defrost outlets in Defrost mode. In this mode the heat primarily comes out of the A/C outlets. I've taken off the bezel around the center radio and AC/Heater controls but would like more access to the other components. Is removing the entire dash...
  4. J

Adjusting Parking Brake 2004 Explorer

How simple is adjusting the parking brake on a 2004 Explorer? On previous vehicles I've owned all I had to do was engage the pedal a notch or two and reach under the vehicle and take the slack out of the cable going to the rear. My Maintenance Manual doesn't show it to be that easy. It says to...
  5. J

Removing front valence

I've got to replace the front valence strip across the lower front. It is held on by several rivets. Can these be removed for reuse? Do I need any special tools to remove them and or install them?
  6. J

Vacuum Motor for Panel Vents - 2004 Explorer

Does anyone know where the exact location is of the vacuum motor that directs air to the panel vents?
  7. J

Front Valance Fasteners 2004 Explorer

I'm replacing the damaged front valance. I've looked underneath and see that there are several fasteners perhaps 14ea. On each side of the car there are a set of three fasteners that are inserted from the top while the rest of them are inserted from the bottom. Are all of the fasteners the same...
  8. J

2004 Explorer OBD Connection?

Is the OBD connector near the parking brake inside that white cover with a 10mm nut on it? Do you back off that nut and "unclip" the cover? It looks like it might have two covers that "unclip". Am I wrong?
  9. J

Broken spring parking brake release mechanism

A spring broke that connects the foot pedal and the parking brake release handle mechanisms inside the car under the dash. The dealer said it is not sold separately but comes with a $150 replacement part (a topic for a whole other conversation). The auto parts places don't have anything close...
  10. J

Drain holes not plugged - water still in cabin

2004 Explorer I posted in here a few years ago about the problem of water in the cabin on the passenger side and I've read just about everything written by others with the similar problem. I've removed the wheel liner for the second time now and I know the hole is not clogged. I'm still...
  11. J

Coolant Temperature Sensor and Housing

2004 Explorer I replaced that plastic piece of junk housing for the coolant temperature sensor a few months ago. Some coolant started leaking again near this housing and I think it is the temp sensor. Can just the o-ring be replaced? When I replaced the housing, I reused the old sensor and...
  12. J

Disconnect battery cable - Now rough Idle

2004 Explorer XLT I disconnected the battery cable for a few hours while working inside my wife's Explore and now the car has rough idle. Did the computer get discombobulated? Can I restore whatever I did wrong?
  13. J

Replacement foam in Seats

2004 Explorer Anyone know where I could get a replacement foam padding for the passenger's side seat back? Me leaning on the center console while my wife drives the car has split the foam in the seat back. I need to replace this.
  14. J

Water Leak through fire wall 2004 Explorer

Anyone ever have a leak through the firewall on the passenger side? My wife's does. There are several penetrations but has there been a common problem with one of them?
  15. J

Replacing plastic T'stat housing

What all is involved in replacing the t'stat housing and the rest of that body of plastic that the t'stat housing is attached to? Any special tools needed to remove any of the hoses and/or instruments that are attached to it? I'm asking because the actual t'stat housing was replaced two years...
  16. J

Replacing interior door panel "trim panel" 2004 XLT

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/raptor01pbucket/IMG_02811_zpsdec364c3.jpg Apparently there is a clear lamination that covers this part of the interior door panel. It started fraying on the very top edge years ago and last night I started picking at. Before long I pulled on what I had...
  17. J

2004 Explorer Front wheel bearing Holy Cow $$$

We took my wife's 2004 (rear wheel drive only) to have a front end vibration/noise looked into and the guy called and said: Front wheel bearing. $405 for part only. This is the price for a Temkin, I think, part. Is that what the parts costs for an Explorer front wheel bearing? Holy Cow!!!
  18. J

Suspension Groan Going over Speed Bumps

2004 Explorer XLT 134k miles About three months ago we starting getting a combination groan and squeak (mostly groan though) in the front end after going over speed tables/bumps in our neighborhood. This past weekend we had to take the car to get the tires rotated and oil changed so we asked...
  19. J

Key Fobs Not working

We bought a new key fob for our 2004 Explorer about 6 months ago. It has now stopped working. It has a good battery in it. I bought it off eBay for less than $30. Do these cheaper fobs go bad this soon. Our originals lasted 5+ years. Could the "receiver" in the car be broken?
  20. J

Need help with Seat upholstery/padding

Our 2004 Explorer is my wife's vehicle. If we're out in it I usually am in the passenger's seat. During the first few years I've apparently leaned on the center console alot with my left elbow and leaned more against that side of the passenger's seat back. Consequently, the padding surrounding...
  21. J

Leak through firewall

Anyone have a leak through the firewall on the passenger's side? I've lifted up the carpet, put a hose on the windshield and it's not the windshield. I've put the water on everything below the glass and it leaks. what could be leaking on this side of the car? Heater hoses through the...
  22. J

Blinkers Quit Working - then work again

2004 Explorer The blinkers on our Explorer will stop working while say, sitting at a redlight, after about 15-20 seconds. Then later down the road at the next red light they work. Then after another period of time they stop again. Any ideas?
  23. J

'04 Overdrive light blinking and hard upshift

The Overdrive light started blinking this morning and then it started upshifting from second to third gear very hard. What's up with this? When I got back in the car after work, problem gone.
  24. J

Removing the plastic bezel around the radio

How dos the bezel around the radio get removed? Just pop it off or does other trim around need to be removed first?
  25. J

Transmission service in '04 Explorer

Should it cost $167.00? I told my wife to take her Explorer up to where she gets the oil changed to get transmission service and she came back with a $167 bill for simple service. Is there something intensive about simple transmission service on an '04 automatic?
Back