Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. J

Electrical Problems

I have a 95 Limited with 198K on the clock. Recently, my center console display stopped working along with the automatic headlights and drivers side memory power seat. I'm thinking GEM module. Can anybody share some insight? Thanks.
  2. J

Incredible engine ticking sound

Are you saying that after only 60 miles on a fresh oil change the level was down to halfway on the stick?
  3. J

Removing ARC warnings from message center

Sorry if this is redundant information. I removed the air ride from my 95 Limited a few months ago and have grown tired of being reminded that the "air ride switch is off" and to "check air ride system". On the back of the message center are two plugs. On the smaller of the two, cut and tape or...
  4. J

altenator?

ditto!
  5. J

New 4.0 OHV Heads - Now hesitates around 40 MPH - Please Help!

Try disconnecting and plugging the EGR vacuum line to see if it goes away.
  6. J

50k miles crankshaft was grinded?

It didn't come from the factory like that however it may have been repaired by a dealer or the previous owner.
  7. J

new speedo calibration: correct for 10mph offset?

I had the same problem a while ago. IIRC I took the clear cover off the cluster while it was still installed in the dash. You have to remove the bezel but not the whole cluster. I just pulled the speedometer needle off and set it to 10mph. That way I could drive it to make sure it was ok or...
  8. J

altenator?

Unless I'm missing something, I have not seen anything that says you charged either of the batteries. I know the Walmart battery is new but it could have been low from sitting on the shelf. You also said it started ten times or so and then it went dead. Were these ten consecutive starts or did...
  9. J

altenator?

This may be a stupid question but did you put a brand new battery in or a used one? I ask because if it's running at 14+ volts your alternator is working. I had a dead battery about a week ago, charged it overnight and took it to Autozone (14.4 volts when running) to have it checked. Their...
  10. J

Explorer finally died

You'll probably need to remove the pilot bearing/bushing from the manual motor as it may interfere with the torque converter.
  11. J

Small rear shock?

IIRC, I paid around $30 for it.
  12. J

Small rear shock?

I bought mine at the local NAPA. They were the only FLAPS in town that knew what I was talking about. The guys in Autozone and Advance just gave me a funny look when I said I had a "third shock" on my rear axle. Oh, and in my case, it made a difference.
  13. J

Cruise Control Malfunction

Replaced the actuator/controller unit today and all seems fine again.
  14. J

Thanks, yes the TB is clean and free. I ordered a used actuator and cable on Ebay. Hope it does the trick.
  15. J

Cables are good, no frays. It wasn't a foor mat because I don't have any. I'm going to replace the actuator/cable assembly and go from there. Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.
  16. J

I had a very scary problem with the cruise control on my 95 Limited yesterday. Cruising in the right lane on I75 with the cruise set at 70, I came up an another car that I needed to pass quickly. I stepped on the gas, pulled out and passed him and then backed off the gas to let the cruise take...
  17. J

Where's It Going (Brake Fluid) ?

"Is it possible the vacuum line is sucking it up?" ABSAFOGGINLUTELY POSSIBLE. As has been mentioned, the only way to check is to pull the master. You can usually leave the brake lines attached and carefully pull it out far enough to look behind. Sonetimes it helps to dip a paper shop cloth...
  18. J

any advice on balljoints?

Is a 95 the same as a 97? I've replace my lower ball joints twice and didn't need to freeze them or use a press. First I went with MOOG and the boots deteriorated in about three years. Then next time I went with NAPA and added aftermarket boots over the originals to protect them. They are still...
  19. J

My vehicles doesn't start when it's hot, but will start when it cools down.

The next time it happens, try spraying a little starting fluid into the intake boot. If it starts and then stalls, it's fuel related, i.e. pump,relay. If it doesn't, it's probably ignition related.
  20. J

Ford Dealer Diagnostic Fee - Flat Rate means ???

Willy2- When I had my shop, a problem diagnostic was usually billed by the hour with the customer agreeing to a not to exceed number. The techs hated it but I made it up to them with jobs I knew they could make money on. Flat rate dictated an hour for a simple computer download but I didn't...
  21. J

Ford Dealer Diagnostic Fee - Flat Rate means ???

Many repair shops and virtually all dealerships use the flat rate system. "Flat Rate" refers to the amount of time that a given job should take based on various flat rate publications accepted by the automotive repair industry. For instance, if the flat rate guide says a given job should take...
  22. J

1998 Ford Explorer 4.0L OHV with a blown head gasket.

It sounds like the lifters are full of the coolant/oil mix. It could take a while for them to quiet down. As long as you have oil pressure and keep the revs down you shouldn't hurt anything by running it. As for the smoke, keep in mind that you pumped the oil/coolant mixture through the entire...
  23. J

whinning/growling getting louder

You mentioned that the splines of the hub were torn up. How did the splines on the axle look?
  24. J

climate control backlights

That is excellent information. I saved a couple of burned out bulbs to use to match up with the new ones. I plan to stop by Radio Shack and pick up a couple of those bare lamps and see how hard it is to remove the old bulb and install the new ones. Do you have a link to the write-up?
  25. J

Where's It Going (Brake Fluid) ?

It might be leaking out the back of the master cylinder into the brake booster.
Back