Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

Weird intermittent drivers window, need to press 3X for it to work up/down

I have a 2015 XLT that recently developed a weird issue with the drivers window. It will only work up or down if I hit the switch 3 times. I tried a master window reset, and removing and taking apart the master switch and cleaning, but still does same thing. Any ideas ? It weird that it will...
  2. M

2015 XLT replacement tires for stock Hankook Optimo 426

After 41,000 miles, my stock Hankook Optimo 426 tires are getting close to end of life. I had no complaints with this tire, I thought it had a nice ride, but to my surprise, they don't make them anymore when I looked on Tirerack. So I am asking for any recommendations of good replacements . I...
  3. M

Help, transfer case locked up in 4wd

Hi all, original owner of 1999 XLT SOHC, 190K miles, Yesterday all of a sudden, the truck does not want to move when making turns. My first thought was the transfer case is locked up. Disconnected electrical connections to the TC motor , but still locked up. I then removed the front...
  4. M

Parking brake pedal not working right, cables good

Hello, the other day I went to use my emergency brake, and the pedal went all the way to the floor with no resistance . The first thing that came to my mind was that the cable broke, but I checked , and all cables were fine, so this leads me to believe the pedal assembly broke, but I don’t know...
  5. M

Replaced rear wheel bearing, 2015 XLT w/ 21K miles

Hi all, in the past few weeks, I've been noticing a roaring sound on my drivers side rear wheel when cruising on the highway, and it definitely sounds like a bad bearing. Its not extremely loud, but loud enough for me to notice. Just to be sure, I swapped the front and rear tire to eliminate the...
  6. M

rear stabilizer link bolt broke/snapped off

99 XLT, original owner. Went over a speed bump, low speed, heard a loud pop, thought nothing of it. When I got home, looked underneath, found one of the rear stabilizer link bolts broke clean off (the lower bolt). The bushing was also gone. Anyone ever had this happen? These were the original...
  7. M

Where can I order new rear bumper L bracket?

Hi all, got rear ended last week, and my bumper got bent down. Could not believe an old Nissan Sentra that hit me at 5 MPH actually was able to bend the brackets and frame, but I managed to get the old bumper off, and straightened out the frame. The L brackets were pretty bent. I ordered a new...
  8. M

Pieces of plastic timing chain components in oil pan

I am the original owner of my 99 XLT with 155K miles. Recently it developed a very light subtle metal clinging noise while the truck is idling, and I had suspicions that it was the timing chain. My suspicions were confirmed when I dropped the oil pan yesterday and found 2 small plastic pieces of...
  9. M

12.5 V at Headlamp socket, no load, but only 11.5V with bulb connected

Hello, lately been noticing my headlamps are not as bright as they once were. These are the original bulbs from 99, and the headlamps lens are in pretty good shape, they are not oxidized. Just to confirm, I went to check the voltage at the socket with the lights on, and was getting 11.5V...
  10. M

No album art when using Bluetooth

I have a 2015 XLT, and just wondering is there any reason why I can't get album art on my screen when using BT from my iPhone 5c? If I connect USB, I get album art fine. Is this a limitation of Ford or Apple?
  11. M

Resonator rotted out again, getting 4th one

Anyone have issues with their resonator pipe, or exhaust system in general rotting out pre-maturely on 99 or older? My resonator pipe rotted at the point where it meets the muffler, to a point where it was barely secured, so I had to rip it out to avoid it falling while I was driving. So I...
  12. M

Pro-actively replacing fuel pump

I am the original owner of my 99 XLT, 147K miles. I also picked up recently a new 2015 XLT, but I'm keeping my 99 as a back up. So I already recently replaced the tranny on my 99, and now I figure the next thing to go soon will be the fuel pump given the fact its 16 years old. Rather than...
  13. M

New owner 2015 XLT

Just picked up a new 2015 XLT. I love this car. Been driving around in my 99 XLT for 16 years ( original owner) and still intend on keeping it. A lot has changed since then. Mine came with the 20" polished rims, and they make a huge difference in appearance, and they ride great too. 2015...
  14. M

Tranny went on my 99 XLT, $2,000 to overhaul

Hi all, just wanted to tell you of my recent issue with my tranny on my 99 XLT SOHC. Was backing out of my driveway one day, heard a pop, then there was no more reverse. Forward gears was fine. I put the truck in first gear to see if there was any engine braking, and there was none, so I...
  15. M

99 XLT, misfiring, CEL flashing, possibly fixed due to rust on coil pack?

I had a wierd issue pop up last night on my way home from work. I noticed my truck running rough on the expressway. Next thing I know, my Check engine light was flashing. When I pulled into my driveway, I could tell it was not running on all cylinders. So I shut the truck off, let the truck...
  16. M

Just got new KYB shocks/ concerned with quality

After going through 2 sets of Monroe Sensa-Tracs on my 1999 Ford Explorer since 2005, I decided to give the KYB Excel G's a try. I've heard great reviews of them, an also I took advantage of their $40 rebate offer, so when I ordered through Rock Auto, it cost me $67 for the 4 shocks including...
  17. M

Help deciding new tires please/ Michelin LTX M/S 2?

Looking around for new tires for my 99 XLT. I looked at the Michelin LTX M/S 2, but I'm a liitle weary they only have XL rated tires for my size P235/75R15. I had a set of XL tires on my truck at one time and thought they ran hard, but those were General Grabber's ( was part of Firestone...
  18. M

Belt tensioner disintegerated while on highway

Was driving to work this morning, and I heard a loud bang from the engine compartment. Then I heard what sounded like parts falling onto the highway. I looked in my rearview mirror, and I saw debris flying behind me. Luckily it did not hit anyone. So I went to get off the highway, and I...
  19. M

What is this part underneath, all rusted. (pic)

The other day I was checking my spare tire assembly underneath, and noticed there was a lot of rust under that area. One spot where there are 2 plastic boxes ( I think they have something to do with the evap system for the fuel tank) the tray that was supporting them was completely rusted out...
  20. M

Which usually goes first, outer or inner tie rods?

I recently changed all 4 ball joints on my truck, and in the process also changed the outer tie rod ends. I'm just curious, do the inners also get worn out as much as the outers and are they prone to failure as much as the outers? Has anyone changed their inners yet?
  21. M

Need tips for tranny fluid pan drop on 99 XLT SOHC with 5R55E

In the past, I had my mechanic do this job for me, but now I want to tackle it myself. From what I heard, it is necessary to remove the front driveshaft. I looked at the 4 hex/torx bolts holding it in, and I tried a few ratchets to fit over the hex bolt, but the clearance is too tight.It looks...
  22. M

How to install resonator on 1999 Explorer?

My resonator rusted to a point that the pipe weld broke off from where it enters the resonator. So I attempted to remove the whole unit, but could not figure out a way to orient it out over the axle, (it seems that the truck has to be lifted a bit for the resonator to clear the ground), so I...
  23. M

Good source for rear bumper 99 XLT?

My rear bumper had been rusting from the inside for a while causing rust on the outside chrome, and now the other day when loading something in my truck, my knee pushed against the bumper, and pushed right through, causing a hole. I am the original owner and my truck still looks great...
  24. M

Advance Auto parts Oil change promotion for less than $3.00 plus free oil container

Advance Auto has a promo going on that lasts until Jan 25th. Valvoline Oil change special. In store or online "Buy 5 quarts of Valvoline NextGen conventional oil and a Purolator Classic filter for $20.99, and get a free 12-qt. recycling container. Just add to your cart, discount applied at...
  25. M

Ready to pull trigger on 2012 XLT

As the original owner of my 99 XLT, it's still running great with 112K on it, but after driving it for 13 years, I am feeling a little itch maybe its time to let it go and get a new 2012 XLT. I had a few questions: Can anyone recommend (or not recommend) any dealers around the Long...
Back