Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. M

HELP !! 1990 Ranger 2.9 Wont Shift Into Overdrive

I doubt if this is your problem but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway - couple of months ago I had trouble with my OD not engaging, and it turned out that the wire that runs through the steering column and connects to the OD button on the shifter stalk had the insulation worn through and...
  2. M

Upgrade MAF sensor on a 3.0L ?

I did the MAF mod to my '00 3.0 and got a small but worthwhile gain in power.
  3. M

2001 ranger auto trans shifter problems

The shift lever linkage on my '00 came loose once. The linkage is above the steering column shaft under the dash and is hard to get to. It was an Allen bolt that came loose.
  4. M

Repeated driver side lower ball joint failure

Yep, sway bar. My bad. :hammer:
  5. M

To eliminate the torsion bar as a possible source for your knock you can disconnect it and drive around for awhile to see if the noise goes away. Actually if you wanted to you could just remove the thing... my 2000 rode like a Mack truck so I took my torsion bar off and it helped make my truck...
  6. M

That's very unusual. Are you sure that it's your ball joints that are knocking and not something else in the front end?
  7. M

Radiator replacement

If your stock thermostat is functioning properly your temperatures shouldn't be fluctuating no matter what type of radiator you have. Replace your thermostat and it should fix the problem.
  8. M

Lowering 98 2wd

Cutting your front springs will work. When I first got my '00 Ranger I experimented with softer springs in the front, and I played around with ride heights by cutting some of the springs that I installed. It's been said that cutting springs with a torch will mess with the spring's temper, so I...
  9. M

02 Ranger 3.0 passing gear probs.

Almost sounds like it's starving for fuel.
  10. M

Ranger won't shift out of Park

I was having trouble with my shifter lever on my '00 auto, and it turned out that the shifter linkage under the dash had come loose. There was an allen bolt that needed to be tightened, and that fixed the problem. The bolt is above the steering wheel column and is a bear to get to.
  11. M

2000 Ranger Alternator?

Some auto parts stores have battery load testers and alternator testers and they'll test your stuff for free.
  12. M

Slip yoke 2000 Ranger Auto 2wd

You said you got new tires... I bought a set of Michelins a couple of years back and my truck vibrated after I bought them, and it was because a couple of the tires were out of round. Jack each corner of your truck up one at a time and spin the tire with a toolbox or something similar set...
  13. M

How to Change Rear Differential Fluid

The differentials are vented, so if you were to take a drive and warm up the fluid, even if the drain hole were small it probably wouldn't take more than a minute or two to drain the fluid out.
  14. M

The cover should be plenty thick enough to hold something small like an 1/8" or 1/4" machine or sheet metal screw with an O-ring for a seal, or the threads could be sealed with a bit of silicone.
  15. M

Thanks for the video. I bought my Ranger new and changed the diff fluid at 60,000 miles and the fluid was filthy, so if I had to do it over again I would initially change the fluid at 20,000 miles and then at 50,000 mile intervals after that. If I were to do it over again I also think that...
  16. M

Ranger runs cold after installing explorer radiator

Google the thermostat location for your make and model and then replace your thermostat and see if that fixes the problem.
  17. M

rear diff cover removal

If it were me I would use a suction gun to suck out the old fluid, and then while the differential is empty I would use a wire wheel on a drill to clean the leaking area, and then I would smear some adhesive caulk on it to seal it up (if there are holes use some sheet stock to cover them), and...
  18. M

seized tensioner pulley

Pull your pulley off and have a look at the mounting surface... if it's not all chewed up and worn down, then you should be OK with just a pulley.
  19. M

An example for poor Ford quality/robustness

Be careful, I found out that the Ford fanboys will rake you over the coals if you say anything negative about the engineering of their Rangers, lol.
  20. M

2000 I4 2WD Auto thumping, frequency increases with speed

If the thumping increases with road speed then you can pretty much rule out the engine being the cause of the noise. You say that it sounds like it's coming from the transmission area... if it were me I would first pull the rear wheels to make sure that nothing is amiss with the brakes or...
  21. M

2000 I4 2WD Auto thumping, frequency increases with speed

Does the thumping increase with engine speed, or with road speed?
  22. M

Leaf Springs

OK, thanks for the replies. The pad in question migrated about 8" from where it's supposed to be (the retaining nipple sheared off), and it's located on the end of the pack that doesn't have the bracket/clamp on it so I should be able to jack the truck up and spread the leafs apart with a...
Back