Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. E

What's that smell?

My first thought was to check/change the fluids but I really thought that it smelled like burning brakes or a burning clutch. ...you know that smell is kinda distinct. Maybe my nose is off. We'll see what the fluids reveal. Thanks.
  2. E

What's that smell?

I don't know what to look at, I hope you guys can help. I recently used my '04 V8 Explorer to reposition my boat & trailer, a few times, in a place with some severe inclines. It was alot of push it up the hill in reverse a few feet & stop- then pull it forward a few inches & stop- push it...
  3. E

Front Differential Leaking

I have the same problem, i've put 22k on this used '96 in the past year (it has 80k on it now) and this just seemed to happen out of nowhere. I can't explain it however i did notice that the vent tube was hanging a little low so I raised the ending point higher and held it up with a nylon...
  4. E

Cruise control Problem

You were right on the money..... The linkage fell of of it's clip at the throttle, thanks alot!!
  5. E

Cruise control Problem

I just bought a '96 XLT... a great truck, even better than my '94 EB- however the cruise control doesn't work. I still have the '94 and see that the two systems are totally different. When I push the buttons the dash light says that the speed control is on but it doesn't work. When I unplug...
  6. E

MAS??????

Rednose, I'm glad to see that worked but why did you choose to replace the MAS in the first place? Gene, What made you decide to replace the throttle position sensor?
  7. E

Serious engine detonation

How can we check the sensors first?? I have same pinging at partial throttle. I now have new plugs, wires, fuel filter, new O2 sensor, clean air intake, clean throttle body, clean fuel system & rails and a Clean MAF Sensor. Any suggestions on how I might check the MAF, throttle position...
  8. E

Cargo Space Tie Downs.

Matt, That sounds like a good idea.
  9. E

Cargo Space Tie Downs.

Dirt's not the problem, water is. I'm a boater/waterskier & there are wetsuits bags that sometimes leak wet ropes etc. also now I'm transporting my snowblower & when the snow melts... it drips. I want to use the tie downs to support the gas can.
  10. E

Cargo Space Tie Downs.

I'm looking for Ideas. I have one of those rubber, Husky floor liners in my rear cargo space & love it. However it covers the 4 tie down points and need at least 2 tie down points. I'm thinking of drilling holes in the floor & installing Eye bolts near the edges of the floor/liner but I...
  11. E

I want a durn Explorer4x4.com sticker!

Long Island Off roading Where do you guys do your off roading on Long Island?
  12. E

No Boundaries Stickers

Does anybody have any idea where we might get Ford Outfitters, No Boundaries stickers?
  13. E

Alternator Whining Noise

No I didn't lose any voltage, it was just a bearing. On another vehicle the rear bearing just dried out, it was exposed and I pushed some grease in with my finger while the engine was running, that fixed the noise. Also I shot some grease into the front bearing with an aerosol can (but if i...
  14. E

Alternator Whining Noise

These trucks use a power steering pump, which is similar to the Mustang 5.0, and they are notorious for being noisy when they are working correctly. These noises travel; I would make sure that it’s the alternator before I did anything. I’ve used a stethoscope, a piece of hose or a wooden dowel...
  15. E

MAS??????

Me too I've read much about pinging but this is the first time that anyone has mentioned partial throttle. That's what I have, a ping only at light throttle (low rpm's). It usually happens over 30 mph even as high as 60 mph- when the transmission has shifted so that the RPM's are down around...
  16. E

"Don't clean the thottle body"??

Wow, sounds important, thanks Maxxim. I know on other vehicles I've replaced and/or adjusted the throttle position sensor with a multi-meter and the specs, obviously that is something that we would like to avoid. I've heard good things about the "throttle body cleaners" I just used one...
  17. E

It seems that we all have the same soot so the coating can't be doing too much once the vehicle gets older. I'm going to clean it with a "throttle body" cleaner.
  18. E

Why is there a sticker on my throttle body that says don't clean it? Mine is filthy, there is a solid black coating on the whole inside & the throttle is sticking. I don't know if it has anything to with the K&N drop-in that I've been using, but I need to clean it. I heard that some of...
  19. E

Will all the model years fit?

Thanks I am thinking of asking my friend if I can "Borrow" his wheels from his '99 for 1/2 day. I want to determine if my shake is from the tires or the drive train. I can do that without the center caps
  20. E

Will all the model years fit?

Will the newer wheels fit a '91-'94? I know the tires are the same size, are the bolt patterns the same?
  21. E

Shocks or springs?

How do I know if I need 'em? I have a '94 EB 4 Dr, I've had it for 2yrs (from 70k to 90k, now) and the front end has never been right. I've read all of the posts and I've changed the radius arm bushings, motor mounts, wheel bearings, tires, brakes rotors and shocks, done wheel alignments and...
  22. E

Shocks or springs?

How do I know if I need 'em? I have a '94 EB 4 Dr, I've had it for 2yrs (from 70k to 90k, now) and the front end has never been right. I've read all of the posts and I've changed the radius arm bushings, motor mounts, wheel bearings, tires, brakes rotors and shocks, done wheel alignments and...
  23. E

Front hub seal (O-ring)?

I need one new o-ring for the front self locking hub on my '94 EB. A couple of months ago I replaced them both with the $25 ford part (including the new stickers) and the local Tire guy just squashed one of the new O-rings. Any ideas where I might find just one new O-ring? I don't want...
  24. E

Front hub O-ring (seal)

I need one new o-ring for the front self locking hub on my '94 EB. A couple of months ago I replaced them both with the $25 ford part (including the new stickers) and the local Tire guy just squashed one of the new O-rings. Any ideas where I might find just one new O-ring? I don't...
  25. E

How tight do I make the wheel bearing nuts??

Thanks guys This all makes sense, that's what I did it just still feels too loose. I guess that's the way to go.
Back