Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. S

Another 2002 Explorer XLS Speaker Install HOWTO

Thanks for the kudos, fellas! As far as cutting the factory speaker plugs off ... I thought about leaving extra wire for a stock connector reattachment, but didn't. I don't expect to ever re-install the old-n-moldy stock speakers, particularly with new stock speakers. Definitely a good idea...
  2. S

2002 Explorer Factory Amp?

Oh Well I replaced the speakers (see this thread for my HOWTO), and they sound better, but the problem is still there. During the speaker replacement I noticed that the speaker wires and their shielding were pretty deteriorated. The inner core of the shielding had started to goo up the copper...
  3. S

Another 2002 Explorer XLS Speaker Install HOWTO

I used these instructions to get started, but there is a little bit more smooth approach regarding the order of panel section removal, and I wanted to include a little more detail. Thanks, GregV8 for your fine example! This is an expansion on your work. :) These instructions are for replacing...
  4. S

Thanks, again. I believe I will replace the speakers. Any idea what the 2-wire plug was for? (I'm going to ignore it if the speakers fix the sound quality issue.)
  5. S

Thanks, Josef86. Yeah, I just went out and checked the area behind the 2nd row seat. After lifting up the panel in the cargo area, I noted a black PVC piece in the floor area that is probably removed when there is a 3rd row seat. I turned on the stereo and checked for any type of speaker...
  6. S

And I'm not thinking of a subwoofer ... rather I'm thinking that maybe there is a sound system amplifier in there that is no longer enabled, so my aftermarket stereos are trying to push through that dead/powerless device. If I crank the volume way up, to around 30 or so, the speakers clean up...
  7. S

I have only found the two plugs ... one for the main harness and the mystery one with 2 wires. I dug around in there pretty good and didn't find any other plugs. I am still using the factory speakers, and that's my next replacement target. All four of them sound the same as I described...
  8. S

Yoiks! Thanks for that, fixxer ... I am checking it out in all its geekish complexity. :) I did find what I believe is the original stereo, YW7F-18C815-AA or similar, and a photo of the reverse of that unit (http://oem-auto-accessory.com/BACK%20OF%20RADIOS/T100%20PLUG%20S%20SIZE.pdf) shows...
  9. S

Hi! New to the forums, but been lurking for awhile. I can't find the answer to the following situation: Bought 2002 Explorer from my brother. Nice. It already had an aftermarket stereo (Sony xPlod) which sounded crappy ... at low volume, everything was static-y with bass and mid response...
Back