Search results | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Search results

1. T

Motor Hydro-locked, Need a Few Answers

You can try pulling all the plugs, drain the oil, and then spray some (good) penetrating fluid in each cylinder. Wait about 10-15mins then try to bar the engine over by th e crank pulley. I have a feeling that the piston rings are stuck against the cylinder walls due to the fact it was...
  2. T

shaking ride

I think I had a similar problem a few years ago. I had a problem that felt like that my explorer was rocking back and forth on the highway. When I looked at the suspension components, it looked like (and ended up being) that one of my front end links were broken. So I replaced them all a couple...
  3. T

ABS light on, OBD scanner won't return data at all

I pulled this off of a web site, which sounds like to me the software on the reader is out of date. Here's the link: http://www.canobd2.com/Articles/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleId=50aa95d02f5a4e3ba78770f3073ab01b&ReturnUrl=/Support/FAQs.aspx And here's the problem it sounds like your having...
  4. T

As for the OBD scanner, was the ignition turned of or on? For the scanner to read the computer the ignition needs to be in the ON position. When you clear codes, you'll turn off the ignition when the scanner tells you to, then back on a few seconds later (around 10 seconds, depending on the...
  5. T

If you can find a store that has an ABS scan tool on a loaner program do that. If not you can get a local shop to pull the codes for you to see where the problem is. If your ABS fuse is good still, I'm willing to bet one of your front wheel speed sensor is plugged up with grease from a bad wheel...
  6. T

Fluttering Noise 1996 explorer limited

It's possible that there's nothing wrong with your alternator charging you system. It's the brass bushing that sit inside are worn out. Too bad it's hard to find an alternator rebuild kit these days. It would be a $30 fix and not $300+. At least you know what it is now. From the sounds of it I...
  7. T

Fluttering Noise 1996 explorer limited

I think I have the same problem/sound as you. I don't know if it's related to you installing your stereo or not. It sound like to me that when you have a heavy demand (your stereo cranked up), that your engine belt has a hard time staying on the pulley, which is probably your tensioner getting...
  8. T

Accel aftermarket coil pack

I just installed the Accel Horizontal terminal Coil in my 4.0L SOHC yesterday. I noticed a smoother idle, but didn't feel any difference in power. I don't know if it affected my fuel mileage in anyway, but I will find out as I'm driving 2,400Km for a move in a couple of weeks. I also change my...
  9. T

should I put my front hitch back on?

Where did you get your hidden winch kit from. Also what type of winch is it and what's the rated line pull?
  10. T

Tune - Tips

water in the exhaust With the whole water in the exhaust, it's a byproduct of burning fuel. Yes it's acidic, but still water... So don't drink it! lol. A sound running engine will produce as much water vapor (with the hydro carbons and NOx with it) as the amount of fuel the engine needs. This...
  11. T

1999 Mercury Mountaineer - Chattering Vibration

Me too!!! I`m having the same problem as you with the snapping part I think. As for the chattering when you're turning, it could be a wheel hub. Is it only making the sound when you're turning one way, or both? As for the sound coming from the back, it could be the axle damper (the 3rd shock)...
  12. T

Teens or Old people

I'm leaning towards old folks, but the teens here are horrible just like I was. I can't think of a worst situation than a teen being stuck behind a senior driver. That situation just leads to accidents. The senior is driving slower to watch out for things, while the teen just mainly cares about...
  13. T

Do you wear a seatbelt?

I'll always wear a seatbelt in all civilian vehicles. But when I'm in a military vehicle I won't.
  14. T

My quest for 30 MPG - Ford Explorer Gas Mileage Tips

I was going through an older issue of Popular Mechanics (misplaced the copy) I came across an ad for Pulstar plugs. I found a website that can be seen through this link http://www.pulstar.com The plugs come with a hefty price tag of $25 per plug. But there also seems to be a lot of info on...
  15. T

Has anyone here heard good things about JBA's Cat-Back Exhaust system. I know Gibson's is a good brand, but it's really hard to track down here. Basically the shipping is the killer. The JBA system is almost $300 cheaper here, so any help with this would be great.:salute: I'm hoping that...
  16. T

I think it's due to the fact I'm above sea level where I'm at that I saw the gains, plus the terrain here may be another factor here to and also my driving habits. I tend to get into the throttle all to often, but I do take my time on longer drives. It's real nice to be travel with a friend...
  17. T

To help Al out with all of this with the non-believers of the 30+MPG. Here are some fuel burning facts. The more efficient you make you engine run = more fuel to be use to turn the wheels. The less drag on the vehicle = less fuel needed to sustain speed. The Lest amount of weight = less...
  18. T

The reason I use the Tornado, is because I do see better 1.5MPG mileage when towing things around, plus I did have 1MPG change for normal day to day driving in town. Thanks for the advice with the fan controller. I'll see if the part store here in town can get one. :salute:
  19. T

For what it's worth, I was getting almost 25 MPG before I the front wheel hub started going. I have a K&N air filter, a modified air box, and I use the Tornado. I'm now planning on doing a cooling fan swap to electric and replacing the hubs in the spring (it gets cold here in Canada). I'm also...
Back